Truenamer (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Truenamers study the language that the Universe uses to compose the very fabric of reality. Many Truenamers seek to learn as much of this language as possible in order to understand the inner workings of the Universe. All Truenamers learn the basic words and even some advanced subjects as they progress through their life, and while many seek to learn as much as possible, some simply seek to utilize their own Personal Truename to its maximum potential. As a Truenamer, you know how to shape the very fabric of reality using the core coded language of the Universe. With this awesome power at your disposal you might someday be able to shape the Universe itself by weaving your own name as you see fit into reality, or simply remove someone else's from existence.
Concerning Truename Magic
Truespeak is the primal language of the universe and is composed of syllables and Truenames. Truenames describe a generalized creature, place, thing or action, delivered in the primal language of the universe. Each Truename is exceedingly specific and incredibly difficult to pronounce. There is a more specific category of Truenames called Personal Truenames which uniquely identify a single creature perfectly. Knowledge of a Personal Truename allows you to alter its base components and change the personal identification of the individual with unrivaled power.
By combining an action Truename with a descriptive Truename, you can create a magical effect. This is the most important ability of a Truenamer, as it allows you to remake the universe in accordance with your wishes. You have to correctly pronounce Truenames, or they will fail to do anything.
Laws of the Universe
There are two unshakable laws that the Universe must follow despite your attempt to command it: The Law of Sequence and the Law of Resistance.
Law of Sequence
All Truename magic must obey the Law of Sequence. You cannot speak the same cadence, recitation, syllable, or utterance twice until the duration of the first ends. The reverse of an utterance is treated as the same utterance for the purpose of the Law of Sequence.
Law of Resistance
This law states that the Universe will only bend so far to the will of a single person. If you successfully use Truename magic, using it again imposes a 1-hour disadvantage. Similarly, more than one use of a Personal Truename imposes a disadvantage until the stroke of midnight.
Building your Truenamer
When creating a Truenamer, Intelligence is of the utmost importance for your Ability scores. It is followed by Charisma and Constitution. Truenamers are typically Acolytes, Hermits or Sages in their background. Some are devoted to their gods, others strive to undermine the reality set forth by them, and others still are just general scholars.
As a Truenamer you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Tools: Calligrapher's Tools
Saving Throws: Intelligence and Charisma
Skills: Choose 3 from: Arcana, Deception, History, Insight, Intimidate, Investigation, Persuasion
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Quarterstaff or (b) Dagger
- (a) Explorer's Pack or (b) Dungeoneer's Pack
- Leather Armor, a Book of Ancient Lexicon, Calligrapher's Tools
|Features||Evolving Mind||Crafted Tool||Perfected Map|
|1st||+2||Truespeech, Known Personal Truename, Utterances||1st||-||-|
|3rd||+2||Path of the Ancient Lexicon||2nd||-||-|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Quiet Utterance||2nd||1st||-|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Bonus Recitation||3rd||2nd||1st|
|9th||+4||See the Named||3rd||2nd||1st|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Knowledge Focus||4th||3rd||2nd|
|13th||+5||Obscure Truename, Sending||4th||3rd||2nd|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Truename Backlash||5th||4th||3rd|
|17th||+6||Speak unto the Masses||5th||4th||3rd|
|18th||+6||Path Feature, Knowledge Focus||6th||4th||3rd|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Truespeech Commands||6th||5th||3rd|
|20th||+6||Say My Name and I Am There||6th||5th||4th|
You begin with proficiency in the Truename language. You may use it to speak a cadence, recitation, syllable, or utterance. You can also use your knowledge of the Truename language to cast rare truenamr spells from the Truenamer Spell List described below from a scroll or other magical item.
At 1st level, you know one Utterance from the Lexicon of the Evolving Mind. You learn more powerful Utterances and access new Lexicons as seen on Table: The Truenamer.
Known Personal Truename
You know your own Personal Truename. You get a +4 bonus to your Spell check when speaking your own Personal Truename. When someone else tries to speak your Truename, they have a -4 disadvantage.
At 2nd level, you become proficient in one of the following skills: Arcana, History, Nature, or Religion.
If you are already proficient in the skill, gain double proficiency (expertise).
You may instead choose one language.
Path of the Ancient Lexicon
At 3rd level, your Truename studies become more specific and prestigious. You may now choose a Truenamer Paths. You can become the master of your own destiny with the Acolyte of the Ego, learn to unravel reality in the Bereft, speak with a tongue of fire with the Brimstone Speaker, or take the Disciple of the Ancient Word and transcend the mortal form. The choice is yours, pick wisely.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
At 4th level, you and the Universe hear each other just fine. As long as you are conscious you may attempt to telepathically communicate your Truename magic with a -4 penalty to your Roll against the DC.
At level 5 you can research the Personal Truename of creatures and objects. To divine a Personal Truename you must devote time and coin. It is recommended to align yourself with a Divination spellcaster, to seek out a place of knowledge and to learn as much about the subject as possible before proceeding. Each attempt at researching takes 24 hours and costs 100gp. If you have access to a place of knowledge, such as a great library, scribe's guild, or wizard's college, you may cut your expenses in half.
When you have the resources prepared, you may begin your Personal Truename Research. At the end of your 24-hour study, you will learn if you are successful.
As an action, you may perform a Recitation against a person or creature whose Personal Truename you know with concentration. Unlike an Utterance, that person or creature does not get a saving throw.
At level 8 and 15 you may choose one Recitation.
See the Named
At 9th level, you may attempt to speak a Personal Truename. If successful, you see and hear the target through the eyes of the Universe for one minute. If the target has Truesight, you appear as a shadow of your true self.
- At level 13
- You may speak to your target until the effect ends. Each phrase requires a DC15 Charisma check. Additionally, your identity is concealed by a swirling mass of invisible shadows.
- At level 16
- Each attempt to directly banish or attack your shadow inflicts 1d6 Psychic Damage.
This power grants you the ability to manipulate a creature whose Personal Truename you know. You cannot affect the same creature more than once per short rest.
- At level 11
- As an action, speak a Personal Truename you know. If successful, you may Dominate the target or undo any effect by which the target is compelled.
- At level 19
- As an action, speak a Personal Truename you know. If successful, you may utilize Power Word Kill or Power Word Heal on the target.
- Saving throw
- The target creature may make a Charisma save versus your Spellcasting DC (8 + Proficiency + INT). If they fail, the Command takes effect. If they succeed, they are stunned for 1 round.
At 13 level, you may counter Power Word spells which target a Personal Truename you know with a Charisma saving throw. Additionally, any attempt to speak or research your Personal Truename is done with a disadvantage.
At 13th level, you gain the ability to send messages to a creature whose Personal Truename you know. Each message must be twenty-five words or less and requires a proper pronunciation of the target's Personal Truename. Each message after the first requires only a DC13 Arcana check. If you fail this check, you will not know it unless the target has a means of responding. You may communicate up to a minute before the Personal Truename needs to be spoken again.
If you succeed on your Obscure Truename check versus a Power Word spell or Utterance the Universe lashes out at the creature, dealing 1d6 psychic damage per character level to the creature. They may make a save using CHA or their Spellcasting Ability, whichever is higher, for half damage.
Speak Unto the Masses
At 17th level, you have the ability to affect a number of creatures of the same creature type with a single, powerful utterance once per long rest. Once this feat is used, the chosen utterance is unusable until you take a short rest.
As an action, you may target a creature with an Utterance. If another creature of the same type is within 30 feet of it, your utterance may affect it as well. Reroll your arcana check for each creature of your choice which is affected along the chain. This may pass along until either no more creatures exist within 30 feet of each other or you fail to speak your utterance properly. You cannot affect the same creature twice with one utterance.
This feat does not work with the Lexicon of the Perfected Map
Say My Name and I Am There
Upon reaching the 20th level as a Truenamer, you develop a truename- not your personal truename, but a sort of true nickname- that is invested with cosmic power such that others who speak it can conjure you forth. Whenever someone successfully says this truename, you can appear at that creature's location instantaneously. You know who is saying your truename, and you can choose not to be transported if you wish. The nickname is often one or two syllables taken from your personal truename. A creature speaking your true nickname need not make an Arcana check to do so. Most Truenamers with this ability teach the truename to their friends and allies so they can be called when needed.
Disciple of the Ancient Word
The path of the Ancient Word is chosen by Truenamers that are in tune with thier own bodies.
Disciples of the Ancient Word are intellectual warrior monks who, through a deeper understanding of their Personal Truenames, transcend the limits of their mortal form. Disciples commit themselves to a studied pursuit of introspection tempered by pious devotion to the principles of Zuoken as penned by the hand of the first disciple, Akahuza. Through these teachings, disciples develop techniques that allow them to defy the limits of reality.
Level 3: One with the Ancient Word
- You gain Monk feats: Ki and Martial Arts.
- You gain Unarmored Mind: While you are wearing no armor and not wearing a shield, your AC equals 13 + your Intelligence modifier.
- You gain Word of the Stance Unyielding: You may expend one Ki to roll an Arcana check when a Strength saving throw is required. If you have an advantage with Strength saving throws, you have an advantage with your Arcana check.
Level 6: The Body is a Temple
- You gain the Monk feat: Slow Fall and Unarmored Movement.
- You gain Word of Health Restored: As an action, you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against your own Personal Truename. If successful, you gain a number of hit points equal to your character level.
Level 10: Defense of the Mind
- You gain the Monk feat: Evasion
- You gain Word of Reflexes Exalted: As a reaction, you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against your own Personal Truename. If successful, you may attempt to interfere with a ranged spell or weapon. If you have enough movement remaining this round, move between the offender and their target to become the target instead.
- You gain Word of the Strike Unstoppable: After a successful melee strike, you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against the target to overcome their damage reduction and resistance.
Level 14: Diamond Soul
- You gain the Monk feat: Diamond Soul
- You gain Word of the Fist Unraveling: After a successful melee strike, you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against the target to dispel one of their magical effects.
- You gain Word of Harm Avoided: When hit by a weapon you are aware of, as a reaction you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against the offending attack roll. If successful, you may use a free hand to deflect the attack, negating any damage inflicted.
Level 18: Transcending the Mortal Form
- You gain the Monk feat: Empty Body
- You gain Word of Mystic Deflection: When targeted by a magical effect you are aware of, as a reaction you may expend one Ki and roll an Arcana check against the enemy's saving throw DC to counter it. You do not need to be aware of the enemy.
- You gain Word of Speed Unfettered: As a reaction, you may expend all of your remaining Ki and roll an Arcana check against your own Personal Truename. If successful, you immediately take an additional turn.
The Path of the Bereft is chosen by Truenamers with the desire to unravel reality itself. You will learn a series of syllables until you discover the powerful Utterance behind them.
Level 3: Syllable of Detachment
- You gain a new Truename and the ability to speak your first syllable. It will inhibit your enemies in combat.
Level 6: Syllable of Affliction
- You learn another syllable. It is known to erase sight, sound, smell or touch.
Level 10: Syllable of Exile
- Your new syllable will banish your enemies for a short while.
Level 14: Syllable of Dissolution
- You are much more powerful today. Armed with your latest syllable, your capacity for destruction has improved.
Level 18: Syllable of Enervation
- You have learned the final syllable. You have the power to undo your enemy's recent accomplishments.
- By combining all the syllables together, you have learned the full Word of Unmaking. You now have the power to permanently erase the soul of the recently deceased.
The path of the Brimstone Speaker is chosen by the holiest Truenamers. You must have a Good alignment to qualify.
Brimstone speakers use their unique Heavenly Entreaty Utterance to request the aid of their celestial envoys. These are available once per day.
Breath weapons are not considered magical and have a number of uses equal to your Consitution Modifier. You may regain 1 use on a short rest and 2 uses on a long rest.
Level 3: Holy Protection
- Shield of Faith: Request a "Shield of Faith" for 6 hours using a DC15 spell check.
- Kobold's Tongue of Fire: As an action, breathe a 2d6 fire breath weapon in a 20-foot line. (Dex Saving Throw)
Level 6: Pegasus Envoy
- You learn the Pegasus language.
- Pegasus Envoy: Request a Pegasus for 4 hours using a DC16 spell check.
- Lesser Tongue of Fire: As an action, breathe a 3d6 fire breath weapon in a 25-foot line or 10-foot cone. (Dex Saving Throw)
Level 10: Unicorn Envoy
- Unicorn Envoy: Request a Unicorn for 1 hour using a DC17 spell check.
- Tongue of Fire: As an action, breathe a 4d6 fire breath weapon in a 30-foot line or 15-foot cone. (Dex Saving Throw)
Level 14: Deva Envoy
- Deva Envoy: Request a Deva for 10 minutes using a DC18 spell check.
- Greater Tongue of Fire: As an action, breathe a 5d6 fire breath weapon in a 5 by 30-foot line or 15-foot cone. (Dex Saving Throw)
Level 18: Planetar Envoy
- Planetar Envoy: Request a Planetar for 1 minute using a DC20 spell check.
- Dragon's Tongue of Great Flame: As an action, breathe a 6d6 fire breath weapon in a 5 by 30-foot line or 20-foot cone. (Dex Saving Throw)
Acolyte of the Ego
The Path of the Ego is chosen by Truenamers who seek to master the intricacies of their own Personal Truename and use this knowledge to bend it as they see fit. You gain the ability to morph your own Personal Truename with increased precision and strength. Your Cadences become more powerful as your studies progress.
Known Personal Truename The Acolyte of the Ego is very familiar with their own Personal Truename. You get a +6 bonus to your Spell check when speaking your own Personal Truename.
Level 3: Resonant Voice
- You gain a Morphic Cadence.
- Resonant Voice Feat: You can increase your Arcana difficulty by 5 to speak your Personal Truename with a particularly deep, resonant voice. Your class level is effectively 3 levels higher when speaking a Cadence against your own Truename.
Level 6: Cadence Mastery
- You gain a Morphic Cadence.
- Cadence Mastery Feat: You can speak your Personal Truename with multiple Cadences at the same time. Each additional Cadence increases the Arcana difficulty by 5.
Level 10: Alter Personal Truename
- You gain a Morphic Cadence.
- Alter Personal Truename Feat: Your Personal Truename is more difficult to speak by anyone other than you. Outsiders take a -4 penalty to the Arcana check when speaking your Personal Truename. At level 18, this penalty increases to -8.
Level 14: Ritual of Renaming
Level 18: Recitation Feat
Truenamer Spell List
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Truenamer class, you must meet these prerequisites: Intelligence 15 and Charisma 13
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Truenamer class, you gain the following proficiencies: Calligrapher's Tools