Boil Cistern (5e Spell)
From D&D Wiki
|3rd-level Transmutation (ritual)|
|Casting time:||1 minute|
|Range:||5 feet (10-foot cube or cylinder)|
|Components:||S, M (a piece of tinder which is consumed, a piece of flint and a piece of steel)|
Boil up to a 10-foot cube or cylinder of still water for 24 hours. As long as there is no current or running water in the area of the spell, this will even work within a larger volume of water, with the boiling area being 'contained' in a 10-ft cylindrical area. Creatures unfortunate enough to be caught in the boil cistern area of effect must make a DC 15 Constitution save each round to avoid taking 1d6 points of damage. Stone, metal, and skeletal creatures do not have this issue.
- If the water is in a river or stream, tidal area, or is in some other way affected by currents, the spell will dissipate after 1 minute.
- If formerly still water starts moving, the spell will dissipate. Slowly draining the water or slowly adding water to the area will not cause the effect to dissipate. You may drain or add as much as 1 cubic foot per round.
- If you find an eddy of appropriate size at the edge of a stream or river in which the same water mostly recirculates, you may cast this spell there, and it will work.
- If cast this fully underwater, this spell boils a 10-foot sphere of water instead.
- If the area of water that you cast this on is an actual cistern or water tank then you may cast this spell there every day for a year. Once you have done this, the cistern becomes permanently boiling and can provide hot water (for an entire castle for example) as long as the cistern remains intact. Doing this is often how artificers and bone collectors earn their keep.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 4th level or higher, you may boil and additional adjoining 10-foot cube of still water for each level above 3rd.
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Artificer
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Cleric
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Ranger
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Sorcerer
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Warlock
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Spells → Wizard