From D&D Wiki
If you are looking to start a conversation regarding a specific article, I would prefer you start it on that article's talk page instead of on my user talk page.
Otherwise, click the "+" up top.
So you've been a hell of a lot more active lately, at least more than past years. Seemed like you more or less gave up on the site. Mind if I asked you what brought you back? --SwankyPants (talk) 10:18, 10 February 2022 (MST)
- Oh I still have no hope for the site. Despite my recent spike in activity, I intend to never actually use homebrew from here, even though I run 5e games sporadically.
- I never really stopped checking my watchlist, occasionally, out of boredom, as I do with some other wikis. About a month ago, on my watchlist I noticed an edit summary I disagreed with so much that I had to make snarky comments about it, then felt like making snarky comments elsewhere. After that the site returned to the forefront of my mind for the first time in a while, and it just sort of snowballed I guess. - Guy 10:50, 10 February 2022 (MST)
- Mostly accidental then, eh? Makes enough sense. And honestly, I can't relate more on the whole "not using stuff from here", except in my case it's mostly because I haven't played a game with people who know what they're doing in roughly never, so I just stick to official book stuff. Happy to see you're still contributing, regardless of any of that spite; god knows we don't have enough volunteers. --SwankyPants (talk) 11:48, 10 February 2022 (MST)
Goal: Click link and be taken to a page for a random item.
I have used the randompageincategory/5e for awhile, and tried to do it with 5e wonderous items but that category doesn't exist and I am not about to petition for that. Instead, I am curious if I create a page, that could redirect to a random page on the dpl page? I know sites exist but I was wanting to create something that would populate this site's magic items. Be an actual DM tool at a table. Revival (talk) 09:53, 22 February 2022 (MST)
- I've found this does my goal, Random Wonderous Item, Very Rare, but I think this can be reworked into redirects and usable buttons? Like Geobot Shut Off button? Revival (talk) 10:47, 22 February 2022 (MST)
The main drawback here is you can't click it to get a random item every time; you'd need to at least reload this page to get a new random item. You could somewhat circumvent that by loading several at once though. But, I guess that's probably not what you're looking for. I tried using the dpl's output link to make a redirect page but as I expected that won't work. - Guy 23:19, 22 February 2022 (MST)
- Actually, no, even randomcount will only be random again if you make an edit to the page or something, so that isn't even useful. - Guy 23:20, 22 February 2022 (MST)
- There's the RandomSelection extension which can be used to choose an option randomly from a list, but I can't seem to get that to load a list directly from a DPL. - Guy 23:36, 22 February 2022 (MST)
- I'm pretty sure there's a way to do it with the tools presently on this wiki, but I can't figure it out right now. - Guy 23:49, 22 February 2022 (MST)
- Sorry, I figured something out but didn't want to double post your talk page, well triple I think. But I have this going, User:Revival/Random Treasure. You'll see the tool being used to work this. I am a little stuck how on to get things to look like a button but perhaps I get there. I appreciate you looking into this. Revival (talk) 07:38, 23 February 2022 (MST)
Hello, i kinda want to say thank u) After u balanced my Feat it feels really in place) —The preceding unsigned comment was added by Bebras (talk • contribs) . Please sign your posts.
- ( b'v')b - Guy 06:16, 19 March 2022 (MDT)
Aformentioned Private Hyrule stuff?
Hey Guy, I was going to run a Hyrule campaign at some point in the future, because it seems to be something the players really want, so I went to your old setting on this site to see the unfortunate ruin of what the setting was when you were solely working on it. I noticed that you left a comment about two years ago saying that you gave up on the site, and you were going to work on Hyrule in private (which I completely agree with everything you said in that post). I understand that you said this two years ago, so there's a chance that either no progress was made since, or you just completely stopped. Let me be clear, I have no intentions of changing anything, I just want to see it because I need a little bit of help because I'm not the best with balance (which is obvious if you read a thing I ever posted.) If not, have you got any tips? --Fellow creator, Picigu9 (talk) 21:51, 4 July 2022 (MDT)
- I don't have much, and I'd rather not share it on D&D Wiki right now anyway.
- I'm not sure what kind of tips would be useful to you. The content I pushed here is still available if you're willing to sift through history tabs. Others have made Zelda tabletop content elsewhere on the internet, for 5e and otherwise. - Guy 20:16, 8 July 2022 (MDT)
Having seen you go through the process; I wondered what your thoughts would be in regard to characters not having a race? Players would select traits and create their own character description. Revival (talk) 21:57, 9 September 2022 (MDT)
- Depends on a lot of factors. Not having a race in most systems is just being human.
- But "select traits" and "create their own character description" sounds more like having players create their own unique race? Is that what you're asking? - Guy 21:26, 11 September 2022 (MDT)
- Not sure why failed to respond, I apologize. And yes, that would essentially be it.
- Also, I've stumbled upon a YouTuber, "Jface", that has been documenting his journey through creating his on ttrpg. He recently started his own discord server as well and there are always people online to bump ideas daily. It is a "bumping" and "cool" place for the hobbyists my dude.
- I was also introduced to a podcast, Thinking Like a Game Designer, which I just started listening to and has helped motivate me with my own aspirations :); it features very notable people within the hobby community, not just ttrpg, but tcgs & board games too. Episodes are an hour long.
- Anywho, cheers! Revival (talk) 19:11, 16 February 2023 (MST)