Talk:Lucario, 2nd Variant (5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
This page has a couple issues, in my eyes:
- Small size feels weird to me. Canonically in the games, Lucario are 3 feet 11 inches tall, which is just barely at the upper end of the Small size as 3rd edition defined it, so it doesn't contradict canon or anything, but Medium just feels more right, I guess? I just don't see a Lucario as small the same way you'd see Frodo.
Changed size to Medium. And you are correct on that. it was weird.
- The scaling unarmed strike is not something I'm fond of. It's been done so many times on "martial arts" races like Dragonball's Saiyan that we even made fun of it on the Vampelf race (there called "I don't want levels in monk!"). Granted that race takes it to a ridiculous level but you should get the point. I'd rather just have the race boost to a d4 unarmed strike and be done.
would it be OK if at about lvl 8 or 10 i can boost it to a d6? But looking, yeah, back it was a bit busted on the scaling.
- General Aura Usage is rather vague. Maybe they could just get mage hand as an at-will spell?
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. Ill think on that.
- Iron Will is worded extremely poorly, but it's an easy fix which I'll apply shortly.
- What is the purpose of making them fluent in Deep Speech? Deep Speech is usually only spoken by species from the far corners of existence like mindflayers. I just don't think Lucario are weird enough to justify it. — Geodude (talk | contribs | email) . . 23:13, 23 August 2019 (MDT)
It was the only other language i could find that somewhat fit Lucario. Ill try to find something else.
- I've fixed the unarmed strike (simply using the aarakocra precedent), and I rewrote the aura usage. I did consider mage hand, but I don't know if "Aura" is supposed to magical or some other force, so I made it its own thing. Marasmusine (talk) 02:51, 24 August 2019 (MDT)
and if your wondering, Aura is in no way connected to the Weave. So detect magic, or Anti Magic Feilds won't do anything.
Close Combat. You need to remove the "+ Strength damage." from this feature. An unarmed strike is by definition a weapon attack, so you already add your Strength modifier. If you explicitly add it again, that's twice your Strength modifier. Marasmusine (talk) 02:15, 25 August 2019 (MDT)
yeah i just saw this. and yeah i removed it. sorry if it took me so long.
Height and Weight. The height range is 3'10" to 4'5". The weight range for the shortest height is 165 lb to 184 lb . The weight range for the tallest height is negative 294 lb to negative 45 lbs. This silly result is happening because of the negative modifiers to the die rolls. Please look at the Random Height and Weight table in the Player's Handbook (page 121) for examples. Marasmusine (talk) 02:35, 25 August 2019 (MDT)