Valkyrie, Variant (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
(This class is an alternate version of The Valkyrie)
The Valkyrie is a female only class and race developed with a theatre of war mindset. This class is complex with many abilities that can turn battles in an instant. There are a lot of mentions and ties to Norse Lore and Mythology, it would be advised to put forth some effort to research so you know what your dealing with. Valkyries themselves have a very strong sense of duty, honor, and authority in the field of battle, at home, or elsewhere and typically inspire reverence and courage in others just by their presence. Valkyries tend to fall mostly along the Good and Lawful axis of alignments but can be anything including evil. So enjoy building and becoming not only a very powerful warrior but one that invokes great awe in her allies and dread in her enemies.
- Quick Build
You can make a Valkyrie quickly by following these suggestions. First, based on your desired archetype; For a Daughter of Odin and War, Strength should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. For the Daughter of Freyja and the Sky, Dexterity followed by Constitution. [[File:Valknut.jpg|200px|thumb|right|The Valknut (Pronounced "VAL-knoot"), the symbol for life, death, the transition between, rebirth, and Odin]
As a Valkyrie you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: All Armors, Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Religion and one other skill from Athletics, Acrobatics, Investigation, Perception, or Intimidation.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) broadsword or (b) longspear
- (a) chain mail or (b) scale mail
- (a) explorers pack or (b) dungeoneer's pack
- Holy Symbol (Valknut)
- (a) longbow and a quiver with 20 arrows or (b) light shield
|Features||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|1st||+2||Fighting Style, Forged From Heaven||—||—||—||—||—|
|2nd||+2||Death From Above, Spellcasting||2||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Nordic Guidance||3||—||—||—||—|
|6th||+3||Kiss of Light, Death From Above Improvement||4||2||—||—||—|
|7th||+3||Oath of Asgard||4||3||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Valkyrie Sects Feature||4||3||—||—||—|
|9th||+4||Tears of Freyja||4||3||2||—||—|
|10th||+4||Divine Intervention, Death From Above Improvement||4||3||2||—||—|
|11th||+4||Extra Attack (x2)||4||3||3||—||—|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Aurora Armor, Nordic Guidance Improvement||4||3||3||—||—|
|14th||+5||Heart of Iðunn, Death From Above Improvement||4||3||3||1||—|
|15th||+5||Call to Arms||4||3||3||2||—|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Valkyrie Sects Feature||4||3||3||2||—|
|17th||+6||Sight of Heimdallr||4||3||3||3||1|
|18th||+6||Changer of Mortal Fate, Death From Above Improvement||4||3||3||3||1|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||4||3||3||3||2|
|20th||+6||Valkyrie Sects Feature||4||3||3||3||2|
Every Valkyrie takes a path of training, a style they will over their life perfect and expand upon as they become some of the finest warrior maidens to walk the earth. At first level, choose one of the following options.
- Archery: You gain a +2 bonus to attack rolls you make with ranged weapons.
- Defense: While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
- Dueling: When you are wielding a melee weapon in one hand and no other weapons, you gain a +2 bonus to damage rolls with that weapon.
- Great Weapon Fighting: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
- Protection: When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
- Two-Weapon Fighting: When you engage in two-weapon fighting, you can add your ability modifier to the damage rolls of the second attack.
Forged From Heaven
Each Maiden origin has it's own weapon class: Bow of The Slain, Fólkvangran Sword and Shield, and the Valhallan Spear. As a bonus action, you can summon you valkyrie weapon, which is either a longbow, a longsword and light shield, or a longspear. This weapon counts as magical for the purpose of overcoming resistance and immunity to non-magical attacks and damage. Your valkyrie weapon disappears if it is more than 5 feet away from you for 1 minute or more. It also disappears if you use this feature again, if you dismiss the weapon (no action required), or if you die.
You can transform one magic weapon into your valkyrie weapon by performing a special ritual while you hold the weapon. You perform the ritual over the course of 1 hour, which can be done during a short rest. You can't affect an artifact or a sentient weapon in this way.
At 8th level this weapon gives advantage against undead and fiend, and 10th level it becomes indestructible.
Death From Above
Starting at 2nd level, you can call upon your inner strength. While flying and using a melee weapon, as an action, target one creature within your flying speed range, you swoop down upon the target landing 5 feet from them and deal an additional 1d4 + Strength modifier weapon damage.
By 2nd level, you have learned to draw on divine magic through meditation and prayer to cast spells as a Paladin does.
- Preparing and Casting Spells
The Valkyrie table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells. To cast one of your Valkyrie spells of 1st level or higher, you must expend a slot of the spell’s level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
You prepare the list of Valkyrie spells that are available for you to cast, choosing from the paladin spell list. When you do so, choose a number of paladin spells equal to your Wisdom modifier + half your Valkyrie level, rounded down (minimum of one spell). The spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
For example, if you are a 5th-level Valkyrie, you have four 1st-level and two 2nd-level spell slots. With a Wisdom of 14, your list of prepared spells can include four spells of 1st or 2nd level, in any combination. If you prepare the 1st-level spell cure wounds, you can cast it using a 1st-level or a 2nd-level slot. Casting the spell doesn't remove it from your list of prepared spells.
You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of Valkyrie spells requires time spent in prayer and meditation: at least 1 minute per spell level for each spell on your list.
- Spellcasting Ability
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your Valkyrie spells, as your power comes from your devotion to the Gods. You use your Wisdom whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a Valkyrie spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.
- Spellcasting Focus
You can use your holy symbol, the Valknut, as a spellcasting focus for your Valkyrie spells.
At 3rd level, you chose a sects. Choose between Maiden of Runes, Maiden of Light, and Maiden of Storms, all detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd, and again at 8th, 16th, and 20th levels.
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
You have proved yourself to the Gods of Asgard and have earned their favor as a warrior and servant of Asgard. At 4th and 12th level you gain proficiency in one extra skill of your choice.
Kiss of Light
Starting at 6th level, once per day you can use a bonus action to call forth a bright light (30 feet in all darkness) within 60 feet of you. Allies in the light regain 1d8 + Wisdom modifer of health, and undead creatures gain a disadvantage for the duration of the light. The light remains for 1 minute.
You may only use this spell while the sun is visible. Kiss of light can also be used within the effects of a daylight spell as if the sun were visible and if just after the spell is cast can be considered as Sunrise.
At 10th level, when you cast this spell at sunrise, divine intervention succeeds if you roll equal or lower than your level + twice your Wisdom modifier while in the light.
Oath of Asgard
At 7th Level, a Valkyrie's oath is not easily broken, even by the hands of others. You gain advantage to your saving throws against effects or spells that would caused frightened or charmed conditions.
Tears of Freyja
At level 9 you learn the following 2nd level spell; tears of freyja
Beginning at 10th level, you can call on a deity to intervene on your behalf as an action. Describe the assistance you seek, and roll percentile dice. If you roll a number equal to or lower than your valkyrie level, your deity intervenes. The DM chooses the nature of the intervention.
If your deity intervenes, you can't use this feature again for 7 days. Otherwise, you can use it again after you finish a long rest.
At 20th level, your call for intervention succeeds automatically, no roll required.
A Quick List of some Æsir/Ásynjur:
- Baldr — (Balder) God of Innocence and Beauty.
- Bragi — (Brage) The Bard (Skald).
- Forseti — God of Justice.
- Frigg — Chief Goddess, of Foreknowledge and Wisdom. Wife to Odin.
- Heimdallr — (Heimdall) The Watchman and Guardian.
- Hermóðr - A Messenger For Odin.
- Höðr — Blind God of Darkness and Winter.
- Hœnir — The Indecisive God.
- Iðunn —(Idun) Goddess of Youth, Fertility and Death.
- Loki — The Trickster, Foster-Son of Odin.
- Meili — The Mile-Stepper.
- Nanna — Wife of Baldr.
- Óðinn — (Odin) Chief God, of Wisdom and War.
- Sif — Golden-Haired Wife of Thor.
- Sigyn — Wife of Loki.
- Skaði — (Skadi) Goddess of Bowhunting, Skiing, Winter, and Mountains
- Þórr — (Thor) God of Thunder and Battle.
- Týr — (Tyr) One-Handed, Self Sacrificing God of Law and Justice.
- Ullr — The Hunter, Tracker and Archer.
- Váli — The Avenger.
- Vé — Brother of Odin, who gave men speech.
- Viðarr — (Vidar) God of Silence, Stealth, and Revenge.
- Vili — Brother of Odin, who gave men feeling and thought.
At 12th Level, your armor turns into the legendary Armor of the Valkyries which casts the Light of the Valkyries the Norðrljós or the Northern Lights as you fly. The exact aesthetics of your armor beyond the shimmering field of the Northern Lights is completely up to you and your DM.
Special Attributes of Both Armors -
- As you fly your armor glistens casting forth the beautiful Northern Lights as you soar across high above in the skies, at lower attitudes and on the ground your armor constantly shimmers in colorful light like the Northern Lights were a part of the metal itself. You may though suppress these lights so that you may avoid drawing attention to yourself when needed as a free action.
- The Valkyrie the armor is attuned to may cause it to disappear and reappear at will allowing her to remove her armor easily and summon it in an instant when needed. Summoning or removing your armor is considered a free action and is tied to your mind allowing you to call your armor to you even when paralyzed, restrained, or even when unconscious.
- Indestructible, this armor cannot be sundered by mortal means and it will always remain in perfect condition. Higher beings like gods can still damage the armor.
- You keep the stats of the armor original armor, but gain the added bonuses described here. You can turn a new set of armor into Armor of the Valkyries by performing a ritual over the course of 1 hour.
Armor of Leaves This armor made of the leaves of Yggdrasil is of some of the finest make imaginable.
Special Attributes -
- The weight of the armor is halved
- Your Fly Speed increases by 10ft.
Armor of the Roots This armor is made of the roots of Yggdrasil, making it a perfect suit of armor for a Valkyrie.
Special Attributes -
- Gain resistance to one element (acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder). You may change this resistance after a long rest. The dominant color of the aurora of the armor changes to match the Element selected.
At 13th level you can choose 2 maneuvers from the fighter's Battle Master archetype.
Heart of Iðunn
At 14th Level, The Goddess Idun grants onto you the same blessing she grants the gods of Asgard. With a bite of one of her apples you gain the youth and great vigor as the gods do. As long as you return every century or so to renew this blessing you will never age and always be youthful and young. You gain additional hit dice equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Call to Arms
At 15th Level, as an Action you can call to the heavens for aid and summon reinforcements to the field. You may choose to summon either your Valkyrie sisters to fight beside you or a small contingent of Einherjar to revel in glorious battle once more. These summons last for 3 minutes before returning whence they came. Alternatively, you may summon them to stand watch over an area for 8 hours. If during watch they come into combat their first reaction is to sound an alarm and enter into combat at which point they will last for 2 minutes before returning. You may use this feature once and you'll need to finish a long rest before being able to use it again. Your choice of summons and effects as follows:
As a free action you can give them commands, which they will do during their turn. If you do not issue any commands they will hold their position and attack any enemy in range.
They appear with randomly selected equipment (Roll a 1d6 for each summon. A 1-2 is a longbow, 3-4 is broadsword & shield, and 5-6 is a longspear & shield) and they act on the turn they are summoned and act on your initiative.
You may attempt to focus your call with a DC 15 Religion check and you may select what weapons in any combination you wish for your summons to appear with. Failure means your summons roll of random weapons as normal. Valkyries or Einherjar slain while summoned return to the heavens to recover and are not permanently killed. However imprisonment, soul stealing, and the many other unusual ways normal adventurers may die could permanently effect them, this is up to the DM to decide and if they are recoverable and you can feasibly do so you are bound by honor to do so by any method you see fit.
Sight of Heimdallr
At 17th Level, as Heimdallr stands watch over the Bifröst (The burning rainbow bridge that connects Midgard(The Earth) to Asgard) from intrusion, namely from the Jötnar. He has deemed you worthy of his blessing of sight granting you darkvision 30 feet.
Changer of Mortal Fate
At 18th Level, you may alter the fates of others with just a thought cursing or blessing those you deem worthy of them. Once per long rest, as an action, you can cast Beacon of Hope or Bestow Curse without expending a spell slot. Your spellcasting modifier for this is your Wisdom modifier.
However, Gods and other similarly powerful beings at the DM's discretion are immune to this feature's effects.
Maiden of the Runes
As a maiden of the runes, your knowledge of the arcane extends beyond what most valkyries are capable of.
- Magic of the Runes
At 3rd level, you gain access to the cleric spell list. On top of this you get a total of 2 cantrips, at 10th level you gain a 3rd.
- Runic Cast
At 8th level, you learn how to cast spells via the use of runes. You can spend 1 minute to imbue a stone with one of your spells, using a spell slot as if you cast it. As an action, you or any of your allies can throw the stone to use it, and as it hits it will cast the spell you imbued it with.
- Runic Traps
At 16th level, as an action, you can create a runic trap within 5 feet of you. This trap works in the same way as your runestones, but you can activate it when an enemy walks over it.
On top of this your charges to imbue runestones become twice your Wisdom modifier.
- Runic Master
At 20th level, you have mastered the runes, giving you even greater abilities.
You no longer use spell slots when imbuing runestones. On top of this all spells you cast via runestones are cast as if they were one level higher, and you can choose to put more power into a single stone, allowing you to add levels to the spell by using an amount of charges equal to 2 + 2 * the amount of levels you want to add.
Maiden of the Light
As a Maiden of the Light, you call upon your divine powers to call forth the light of the gods to tip the scales of the battle in your favor.
- Guiding Attack
At 3rd level, As a bonus action, you channel your divine powers into your weapon, making it shine brightly. If you hit en enemy with this attack you deal an extra 1d4 radiant damage, and the next ally to attack this enemy has advantage on their attack. This lasts until the start of your next turn. You can use this ability an amount of times equal to your level/4, rounded down, per long rest.
- Rays of the Gods
At 8th level, as an action, you can call forth divine light from the heavens onto yourself or your enemies.
- Exposing Light - A beam of light comes down from the sky upon your enemy. The enemy has to make a DC 15 Dexterity save or take 4d4 radiant damage. If they fail their save all allies have advantage on attacks against them until the start of your next turn. Enemies can't go invisible while under the effects of this light.
- Blinding Radiance - Divine light surrounds you, making you light up like the sun. Until the start of your next turn, all enemies that attack you have disadvantage on their attack rolls, and any enemy within 5 feet of you gets blinded.
Rays of the Gods can be used 4 times before requiring a long rest to use them again. Gain an extra use at Level 12 and 16 and at level 20 gain 2 more uses.
- Blessed Light
At 16th Level, As an action, you attack an enemy with your weapon. On a hit, you create an explosion of holy light of 20 feet around the target. Any enemy within range takes 4d8 damage, and all allies heal for 4d8 hp.
- Bow of the Gods
At 20th Level, as a bonus action you create a bow of godly light in your hands. Every attack you hit deals the standard damage of a longbow, plus 3d10 radiant damage and blind the enemy until the start of your next turn. Alternatively you can shoot an ally to heal for 3d10 hp. This bow lasts for 1 minute max, or until your concentration breaks. You can only use this ability once per long rest.
Maiden of the Storm
You are a maiden of the storm. Your entrance on the battlefield is hailed by the striking of lightning and rumbling of thunder.
Starting at 3th Level, you call upon Odin using your Valknut, and as a bonus action you can create a storm above you. Whenever you strike an enemy using an attack action a bolt of lightning shoots down on them, dealing 1d4 lightning damage. Until your next turn if the target willingly moves, an ear deafening thunderclap follows, dealing 1d6 thunder damage. The target then has to make a Constitution saving throw or it's movement speed will be reduced to 0. On a critical hit the thunder triggers on your attack instead of whenever the enemy moves. You can use this feature an amount of times equal to half your level per long rest.
Starting at 8th level, your control over storms reaches to the point where you can channel them through your own body, charging you with static energy you can release in powerful blasts.
- Thunderous Blast - As an action, you slam your hand into the ground, making a blast of thunder radiate out of you. Each creature within 10 feet must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 2d8 thunder damage on a failed save and being stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save they take half the damage and do not get stunned.
- Static - When an enemy attacks you you can use your reaction to make a spark hit an enemy, dealing 1d4 damage and giving them disadvantage on the attack.
Energized can be used 4 times before requiring a Long Rest to use them again. Gain an extra use at Level 12 and 16 and at Level 20 gain 2 more uses.
- Immobilizing Shock
Starting at 16th level, your control over the storms reaches such heights you can create lightning capable of keeping people from moving for extended periods of time. As an action, you can target 5 enemies within 60 feet of you. The targets need to make a DC 15 Constitution save or be stunned for 1 minute. They can retake this save on each of their turns for the duration of the ability.
- Call of the Storm
At 20th level, you control the storms on a godlike level. As an action you can call forth a powerful storm. The following effects happen:
- All enemies within 20 feet of you must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw every turn or be hit by a bolt of lightning dealing 3d10 damage and have it's movement speed halved.
- You move an extra 10 feet.
- You gain an advantage to concentration checks.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the valkyrie class, you must meet these prerequisites: Strength 14
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the valkyrie class, you gain the following proficiencies: martial weapons, medium armor, light armor