Valkyrie (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Valkyrie
- 1.1 Tales From The Battlefield
- 1.2 Valkyrie
- 1.3 Class Features
- 1.3.1 Table: The Valkyrie
- 1.3.2 Battlemaiden
- 1.3.3 Ability Score Increase
- 1.3.4 Aegis of the Light
- 1.3.5 Wings of the Valkyrie
- 1.3.6 Oath of the Chooser
- 1.3.7 Veteran Battlemaiden
- 1.3.8 Nordic Guidance
- 1.3.9 Tears of Freyja
- 1.3.10 Death From Above
- 1.3.11 Oath to Asgard
- 1.3.12 Honored Battlemaiden
- 1.3.13 Aurora Armor
- 1.3.14 Venerated Battlemaiden
- 1.3.15 Arch-Valkyrie
- 2 Valkyrie Sects
- 3 Multiclassing
- 4 Gods
Tales From The Battlefield
Don The Valiant charges into the field shouting a battle cry, shield and sword in hand, he slams against his enemy. As he pushes forward he slays nine warriors in his path, he looks to the hills as the enemy flees he says, "Bah! you cowards!" tauntingly. Don's warriors follow after the fleeing enemy, he goes to his king's side and praises him for the decisive victory. Out of the corner of his eye, he sees an archer with an arrow knocked and aiming it at them. He takes a passing warrior's spear and launches it at the archer's chest piercing right through, but not before the arrow hits him through the heart. Having saved the king's life but not his own, Don's mind begins to fade into blackness. Out of the darkness shines a bright light, Don reaches for it and his soul is pulled out of his body, he looks at hand clasped with a woman's hand, strong yet delicate. A woman clad in silver and gold armor, wings of pure white and golden hair wielding sword and shield with strange markings, stands before Don. "A hero, bravest of all the warriors on this field today. I open the gates to Valhalla for you, honored one." She speaks to Don in a voice that makes him feel warm and comforted. Don nods and the woman takes him into her arms, with a flap of her wings they ascend high above the clouds and Don falls asleep to what feels like an endless journey. When Don wakes up again he is standing in front of a large man. He has a giant beard, an eye-patch, golden armor so bright it's blinding, and a golden scepter in his hand with the woman beside him. The winged female kisses his cheek and flies off leaving the scent of sweet apple behind her.
The Valkyrie is a class developed with a theatre of war mindset. This class is complex with many abilities that can turn battles in an instant. There are a lot of mentions and ties to Norse Lore and Mythology, it would be advised to put forth some effort to research so you know what your dealing with. Valkyries themselves have a very strong sense of duty, honor, and authority in the field of battle, at home, or elsewhere and typically inspire reverence and courage in others just by their presence. Valkyries tend to fall mostly along the Good and Lawful axis of alignments but can be anything including evil. So enjoy building and becoming not only a very powerful warrior but one that invokes great awe in her allies and dread in her enemies.
You can make a Valkyrie quickly by following these suggestions. First, based on your desired archetype; For a Daughter of Odin and War, Strength should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. For the Daughter of Freyja and the Sky, Dexterity followed by Constitution.
As a Valkyrie you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor , Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Saving Throws: Strength, Constitution
Skills: Religion and one other skill from Athletics, Acrobatics, or Intimidation
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Longsword or (b) Lance
- (a) Studded Leather or (b) Scale Mail
- (a) an Explorer's Pack or (b) a Dungeoneer's Pack
- Holy Symbol (Valknut)
- A longbow and a quiver with 20 arrows
|2nd||+2||Wings of the Valkyrie, Valkyrie Sect|
|3rd||+2||Valkyrie Sect ability|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement, Oath of the Chooser|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Sect Feature, Tears of Freyja|
|9th||+4||Death From Above 1d8|
|10th||+4||Oath to Asgard|
|11th||+4||Extra Attack (2)|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Sect Feature, Honored Battlemaiden|
|14th||+5||Death From Above 1d10|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Sect Feature|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Death From Above 1d12|
Every Valkyrie takes a path of training, a style they will over their life perfect and expand upon as they become some of the finest warrior maidens to walk the earth. Select one of the following styles.
- Maiden of the Hunt: +2 to Ranged attack rolls.
- Maiden of the Raven: Your Movement increases by 5 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. You gain a +1 to Nature and Perception skills.
- Maiden of the Shield: +1 to AC while wielding a Shield.
- Maiden of the Spear: +2 to Damage Rolls when using Polearms.
(What is a "Polearm"? Pikes, Lances, Glaives, Halberds, Tridents, Spears, and Javelins are all Polearms in regards to this ability. Homebrew weapons maybe applied under this ability as well at GM discretion.)
- Maiden of the Sword: When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a Sword, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2.
(What is a "Sword"? Longswords, Shortswords, Rapiers, Scimitars, and Greatswords are all Swords in regards to this ability. Homebrew weapons maybe applied under this ability as well at GM discretion.)
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Aegis of the Light
At 1st level your strong connection to the light have manifested into a runic ward that covers your entire body, protecting you from harm.
While you are not wearing any armor, your Armor Class equals 13 + your Intelligence Modifier + your Charisma Modifier.
Wings of the Valkyrie
At 2nd Level a pair of luminous white feathered wings sprout from your back and can be used to reduce fall damage. When falling either willingly or not (unless grappled, paralyzed, or unconscious) you may expand your wings as a Reaction to reduce falling damage by 5 times your Valkyrie Level. At 13th Level your wing become stronger and capable of actual flight granting a Fly Speed of 25 Feet (The Bonuses to Movement from Maiden of the Raven, Veteran Maiden of the Raven, and Honored Maiden of the Raven also apply their movement bonus to your fly speed, but they are overridden by the Maiden Of The Sky at level 15 if you choose that sect). You may maintain your ability to fly as long as you are not wearing medium or Heavy Armor or carrying more then 10 times your Strength Score.
Your wings can be hidden, disappearing in a flash of light, folding up into your back, or however you wish them to do so. Hiding your wings or summoning them forth is a bonus action. Also armor and other articles of clothing do not impede your wings and may destroy your armor or clothing if it was not made to accommodate them
Oath of the Chooser
At 4th Level, the Valkyrie gains the strength and will capable to accept the Oath of the Chooser of the Slain and guide souls to the afterlife half of which are sent to Valhalla (The great hall of Asgard that Odin rules) and the other half to Fólkvangr (The heavenly fields that Freyja rules).
A Valkyrie may take in a willing soul of a fallen warrior or hero that they find exemplary or strong within 30ft. as an Action. While this soul is in the Valkyrie's possession it is unapproachable by any being or power beyond a deity or similarly powerful being, the creature cannot be raised or resurrected and their body cannot become Undead but it can be spoken to with Speak with Dead or similar ability or spell. A Valkyrie may retain upto half her Valkyrie level of souls whom she may release as a non-action or spend a Short Rest to guide them onto to the afterlife in Valhalla or Fólkvangr. If the souls are worthy of this afterlife (At the GM's discretion) the Valkyrie may remove one level of Exhaustion and restore 1d8 Hit Points at the end of the rest.
A Valkyrie is sworn by her oath to ferry these souls and cannot hold onto a soul for an inordinate amount of time for benign or vengeful reasons and are expected to guide these souls as soon as safely possible. A Valkyrie may not enact punishment upon these souls, a Valkyrie may not destroy souls of warriors, nor may they forcibly take souls for whatever purpose. A Valkyrie is expected to judge fairly of those she sees in battle and select the finest of those who fall even if they were her enemy as long as they are willing. A Valkyrie is permitted to raise the fallen if she is capable and they are willing but she may not make Undead. A Valkyrie is also permitted to offer temporary safe harbor to souls such as taking in a fallen comrade's soul to prevent him from being turned undead or consumed by demons.
A Valkyrie who violates this Oath willingly and shows no intention of repentance to the gods may at the GM's discretion be forced to abandon this class and adopt another.
At 6th level, both your time training with your fellow Valkyries and experience throughout the years have made you a worthy opponent in combat and a trusted ally. You may hone your expertise in your chosen style of training that you selected at first level from the Battlemaiden feature improving upon the style. You may also expand your training selecting another style from the Battlemaiden feature.
- Veteran Maiden of the Hunt: Increase normal range of thrown weapons by 20ft. and normal range of bows and crossbows by 60ft.. These range increases do not effect long range and only effect what is considered normal range of the weapons. (Addition, if using guns and firearms, one-handed firearms gain 20ft and two-handed firearms gain 60ft.)
- Veteran Maiden of the Raven: Your Movement bonus increases to 10 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. Gain +1 Perception.
- Veteran Maiden of the Shield: As a Reaction you may grant your shield bonus to an adjacent ally until the start of your turn. You lose the AC gained from your shield while protecting your ally. If your ally moves away from you they lose this bonus and you regain it.
- Veteran Maiden of the Spear: You gain an extra attack that can only be used if you are wielding a Polearm.
- Veteran Maiden of the Sword: You may use the pommel of your sword to deal 1d4+Your Attack Modifier of Bludgeoning Damage.
At 7th Level, you have proved yourself to the Gods of Asgard and have earned their favor as a warrior and servant of Asgard.
- You gain one of the following passive features;
- Bragi's Ode: Gain Performance Proficiency or Persuasion Proficiency.
- Frigg's Virtue: Gain Medicine Proficiency.
- Heimdall's Watch: Gain Perception Proficiency.
- Odin's Foresight: Gain Insight Proficiency.
- Loki's Cunning: Gain Deception Proficiency or Proficiency with Thieves' Tools
- Skadi's Insight: Gain Nature Proficiency.
- Thor's Endurance: Gain Athletics Proficiency.
- Tyr's Justice: Gain Investigation Proficiency.
- Ullr's Hunt: Gain Survival Proficiency.
- Vidar's Vengeance: Gain Intimidation Proficiency.
Tears of Freyja
At 8th Level you may use this ability;
Tears of Freyja:
- Range: Touch
- Casting Time: Instantaneous
- Duration: 1 minute
You approach an unconscious ally and cry golden tears that seep into their wounds. The ally is now stabilized and regains their level plus their Constitution modifier in hit points. Only one target may be effected by Tears of Freyja at one time. Once used, you must complete a Long Rest to regain this ability.
Death From Above
Starting at 9th Level, you can call upon your inner strength. you gain the ability to glide using your wings, target one creature either directly below you (At any height) or within 60ft at a 45 degree angle (or as allowed by the dm). While using a melee weapon, swoop down upon the target landing on the ground 5 ft. from them and deal an additional 1d8 of your weapon's damage if your melee weapon attack hits. This upgrades to 1d10 at 14th Level and 1d12 at 19th Level. You must finish a Short Rest to regain this ability. At 14th Level gain an extra use of this feature.
Oath to Asgard
At 10th Level, a Valkyrie's oath is not easily broken, even by the hands of others. You gain Advantage to your saving throws against effects or spells that would cause Frightened or Charmed conditions.
At 12th Level, your training as a Valkyrie has been tested and you have stepped forth into the halls of great warriors. Your expertise expands encompassing either a highly versatile set of styles of combat or a master of one style. You may improve any Battlemaiden Style up one step (Maiden to Veteran Maiden or Veteran Maiden to Honored Maiden) or select a new Maiden style gaining it along with the others you have.
- Honored Maiden of the Hunt: Increase the normal range of thrown weapons by 30ft. and the normal range of bows and crossbows by 80ft. Increase the long range of thrown weapons by 60ft. and the long range of bows and crossbows by 160ft. (Addition, if using guns and firearms, one-handed firearms gain 30/60ft. and two-handed firearms gain 80/160ft. Normal/Long). The increases in range replaces the previous Veteran Maiden of the Hunt bonuses and does not stack with them.
- Honored Maiden of the Raven: Your Movement bonus increases to 15 feet as long as you are not wearing Heavy Armor. You may gain Advantage on a Perception check once, you must take a Short Rest to regain this use. You do not suffer from flying at high attitude.
- Honored Maiden of the Shield: As a Bonus Action on your turn you may treat yourself as being in Half-Cover while using a shield this effect lasts until the first attack made against you or dexterity saving throw you take. If you use this ability and then the Veteran Maiden of the Shield ability to protect an ally instead gains the Half-Cover against the first attack made against them or dexterity saving throw they take.
- Honored Maiden of the Spear: As a Bonus Action on your turn you may treat your reach as 5ft further when using a Polearm until the start of your next turn. You gain another Reaction for the use of Attacks of Opportunity.
- Honored Maiden of the Sword: As a Bonus Action on your turn you may make an attack with the pommel of your sword.
At 13th Level, your armor casts the Light of the Valkyries the Norðrljós or the Northern Lights as you fly. This armor may be any armor worn by you. Once donned it gains the following benefits;
Aurora Armor -
- As you fly your armor glistens casting forth the beautiful Northern Lights as you soar across high above in the skies, at lower altitudes, and on the ground, your armor constantly shimmers in colorful light as if the Northern Lights were a part of the metal, leather, and cloth itself. This luminous display creates multicolored light equal to the Light spell constantly. You may though suppress these lights so that you may avoid drawing attention to yourself when needed as a bonus action.
At 18th Level, there are few who can match your skill at arms and you are sought far and wide by your kin for your wisdom in the arts of battle. You may select two new battlemaiden styles, either upgrading styles you have previously selected one step, or selecting new ones from the level 1 options
At Level 20 you have become the epitome of what Valkyrie are and you have perfected your skill at arms and powers. You gain the following increases.
- +2 Str or Dex (Your maximum for the score you choose is now 22.)
- +2 Con (Your maximum for this score is now 22.)
Once per Week you may call out to the gods and ask for their direct aid in something. This functions like the spell wish except the following changes.
- The Gods will always act in your favor, if you fail to word something precisely enough the Gods will try to interpret it in the most favorable manner. You are after all their servant, an astoundingly accomplished one at that. (Though if Loki answers expect things not to go quite right or result in some humorous circumstance regardless of how well it's worded)
- You'll never lose the use of this ability.
- You must make a percentage die roll when using this spell, and roll lower than your Valkyrie level. Success indicates the spell goes off without issue. Failure means the spell fails to activate and nothing happens.
At 2nd level, you may join one of the following sects.
Maiden Of The Sky
at 3rd Level, Once per short rest, one of your ranged weapon attacks gains +2 to hit and you can add 2d6 radiant damage if it hits. Increases to 2 times at level 10 and 3 times at level 15
At 8th Level, gain the Sharpshooter feat.
At 12th level you can use your reaction target one creature within 30 feet of you if that creature takes damage it takes half damage and you take the other half of the damage the creature would have taken
At 16th level you gain the ability to fly with medium or heavy armor. You have a flying speed of 25 feet that is unaffected by the battlemaiden of the raven options
At 3rd Level, you gain the service of one of the legendary horses of the Valkyries. You must sit in a quiet place and prepare the ritual of which to call your steed to your side. You must purchase 50 gp worth of fine foods appropriate for a horse (Oats, Apples, Carrots, Honey, etc.) and a small circle cut or tablet of Yew Wood that you must bless over 8 hours and carve into it the rune ᛖ (Meaning Ehwaz, literally Horse). At the completion of this 8 hour ritual you call forth a Valkyrian Steed before you from seemingly thin air and benefits of your Steed's Bond ability. A Valkyrian Steed is a Warhorse of special breed for they are not born but created from air and the first indication of it's supernatural origin is that frost and dewdrops form along it's mane and regularly fall to the ground as they walk. You can have only one Valkyrian Steed at a time.
If your Steed is ever slain, the sacred connection you share allows you to return it to life. You may perform an 8 hour ritual carving a new Yew Wood rune worth 25 gp to call forth your Steed's spirit and use your connection to the gods and the power of your oaths to create a new body for it. You return a Steed to life in this manner even if you do not possess any part of its body. If you use this ability to return a former Valkyrian Steed to life while you have a current Steed, your current Steed departs and returns to the heavens and is replaced by the restored Steed.
Your Steed gains a variety of benefits while in your service. The Steed obeys your commands as best it can. It rolls for initiative like any other creature, but you determine its actions, decisions, attitudes, and so on. If you are incapacitated or absent, your Steed acts on its own. If you are Level 13 then your Steed while being ridden by you gains a Fly Speed of 45 feet. Your Steed has abilities and game statistics determined in part by your level. Your companion uses your proficiency bonus rather then its own. In addition to the areas where it normally uses its proficiency bonus, an animal companion also adds its proficiency bonus to its AC and to its damage rolls. Your Steed gains proficiency in two skills of your choice. For each level you gain after 3rd, your Steed gains an additional hit die and increases its hit points accordingly. Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your Steed's abilities also improve. Your Steed can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your Steed can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature. Your Steed shares your alignment. Your Steed shares your ideal, and its bond is always, "The Valkyrie whom i serve is my blood brother/sister and it is my honor to gladly give my life for them."
At 8th Level, gain the Mount Combatant feat.
Maiden of the Storm
You are a maiden of the storm. Your entrance on the battlefield is hailed by the striking of lightning and rumbling of thunder.
Storm Starting at 3th Level, you call upon Odin using your Valknut, and as a bonus action you can create a storm above you. Whenever you strike an enemy using an attack action a bolt of lightning shoots down on them, dealing 1d4 lightning damage. Until your next turn if the target willingly moves, an ear deafening thunderclap follows, dealing 1d6 thunder damage. The target then has to make a Constitution saving throw or it's movement speed will be reduced to 0. On a critical hit the thunder triggers on your attack instead of whenever the enemy moves. You can use this feature an amount of times equal to half your level per long rest.
Energized Starting at 8th level, your control over storms reaches to the point where you can channel them through your own body, charging you with static energy you can release in powerful blasts.
Thunderous Blast - As an action, you slam your hand into the ground, making a blast of thunder radiate out of you. Each creature withing 10 feet must make a DC 15 Constitution saving throw, taking 2d8 thunder damage on a failed save and being stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save they take half the damage and do not get stunned. Static - When an enemy attacks you you can use your reaction to make a spark hit an enemy, dealing 1d4 damage and giving them disadvantage on the attack. Energized can be used 4 times before requiring a Long Rest to use them again. Gain an extra use at Level 12 and 16 and at Level 20 gain 2 more uses.
Immobilizing Shock Starting at 16th level, your control over the storms reaches such heights you can create lightning capable of keeping people from moving for extended periods of time. As an action, you can target 5 enemies within 60 feet of you. The targets need to make a DC 15 Constitution save or be stunned for 1 minute. They can retake this save on each of their turns for the duration of the ability.
Call of the Storm At 20th level, you control the storms on a godlike level. As an action you can call forth a powerful storm. The following effects happen:
All enemies within 20 feet of you must make a DC 18 Dexterity saving throw every turn or be hit by a bolt of lightning dealing 3d10 damage and have it's movement speed halved. You move an extra 10 feet. You gain an advantage to concentration checks. This effect for the duration of your concentration, up to 1 minute max. You can only use this ability once per long rest.
At 10th level, once per Long rest you can summon the powers of the gods to strike down your enemies. By striking or "attacking" the ground you can make a line of force that stretches 15 feet in a line.Each creature in that line must make a DC15 Dexterity Saving throw or take 4d8 Force damage. you can use this two times per long rest at level 15 and three times at level 19
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Valkyrie class, you must meet these prerequisites: Must be female, Level 3, with a Strength or Dexterity of 14 and Constitution of 14.
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Valkyrie class, you gain the following proficiencies: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Shields, Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons, and One Skill from the Valkyrie's skill list.
For those wishing to keep the Norse Theme. Here is a list of some of more well known Norse Gods and Goddesses to help get a glancing idea of them.
A Quick List of some Æsir/Ásynjur (Áss or plural Æsir, are Gods. Ásynja or plural Ásynjur, are Goddesses)
- Baldr — (Balder) God of Innocence and Beauty.
- Bragi — (Brage) The Bard (Skald).
- Forseti — God of Justice.
- Frigg — Chief Goddess, of Foreknowledge and Wisdom. Wife to Odin.
- Heimdallr — (Heimdall) The Watchman and Guardian.
- Hermóðr - A Messenger For Odin.
- Höðr — Blind God of Darkness and Winter.
- Hœnir — The Indecisive God.
- Iðunn —(Idun) Goddess of Youth, Fertility and Death.
- Loki — The Trickster, Foster-Son of Odin.
- Meili — The Mile-Stepper.
- Nanna — Wife of Baldr.
- Óðinn — (Odin) Chief God, of Wisdom and War.
- Sif — Golden-Haired Wife of Thor.
- Sigyn — Wife of Loki.
- Skaði — (Skadi) Goddess of Bowhunting, Skiing, Winter, and Mountains
- Þórr — (Thor) God of Thunder and Battle.
- Týr — (Tyr) One-Handed, Self Sacrificing God of Law and Justice.
- Ullr — The Hunter, Tracker and Archer.
- Váli — The Avenger.
- Vé — Brother of Odin, who gave men speech.
- Viðarr — (Vidar) God of Silence, Stealth, and Revenge.
- Vili — Brother of Odin, who gave men feeling and thought.
For more information and gods refer to Wikipedia (Æsir), another or preferred website, or books.