Talk:Murearomalquins (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Wow. Cool concept - I'm guessing you're modeling these guys off of some anime/manga race? However, the traits need a lot of work.
- Odd numbered stat modifiers are a min-maxer's dream, and usually a no-no. Use even numbers so they affect all characters the same, regardless of what the player originally rolled. Also, -8 Con probably isn't playable for a PC. Might want to tone that down abit.
- Speed: Flight is normally with +1 LA by itself, especially for a 100' movement rate. But why is the base speed so low of for a medium size creature?
- Farvision: These guys can see a mouse from a mile away, but only have +2 Spot? I'd drop the Farvision altogether and just bump up the Spot bonus. (For comparison, the wonderous item Eyes of the Eagle only give +5 Spot.)
- Darkvision: If one version is more powerful than the other, and which one you get is just based on background story, why would a character ever choose the weaker one? Just make this standard Darkvision - out to 90' if you want it more powerful but still inline with existing precedents (Drow). If you want to differentiate "surface" vs. "underdark" versions, give them different but equal abilities.
- +3 Spellcasting I'm not even sure what this means? +3 Spellcaster level, maybe? Otherwise, it seems to imply a rogue or fighter of this race would get some sort of benefit from this trait.
- Sorcerer Spells Whoa. If I play a Murearomalquin cleric of 5th level, I can cast spells as a 5th level sorcerer for free? But if I'm actually a sorcerer, I get no benefit from this?
My advice on this race - they probably need to have actual racial hit dice to start, a Level Adjustment on top of that, and make sorcerous spell casting part of those hit die. Take a look at natural spell-casting races like the Rakshasa or Mind Flayer for good starting points, possibly building racial classes out of them a'la the Savage Species book. --Oneiros 10:21, 29 June 2006 (MDT)
- 1st nope i based it off of new of my 1st characters i used
- Hmmmm you have some valid points
- *Odd numbered stat modifiers the con is only -8 because i wanted to make it balanced using the DM's guild if you could help on this just post what you think it sould be in here.
- *Speed: the walking speed is so low because they arn't used to walking a lot, if you had a character that walked a lot it'd be closer to 30 feet
- *Farvision: I should most likely just make farvision give a +7 spot and end it there eh?
- *Darkvision: the thing is they are different, the ones born above ground have feathered wings, and below ground skin wings, but maybe i'll make the spot modifier lower for the underground version sense you don't have to look as far?
- *+3 Spellcasting I like it this way, but I could always which it to +3 caster lvl is you really think it is needed, rogues are suppose to be helped from this too though
- *Sorcerer Spells your right, maybe I should have it that if your a sorcerer or wizard you get double spells per day?
- also I don't completely understand the HD stuff so if you could help me on that too? maybe making an encounter too?
- thanks and get back to me --Shadethedemon 0:50, 06 August 2006 (NewYork time)
I was going to add this to the LA 0 Page, than I noticed how amazingly overpowered this is for LA 0... Is this really LA 0? --Green Dragon 01:28, 11 November 2006 (MST)
- Well it's not supost to have a level adjustment, but if you think it should, it's EML or what not would propaly be higher though. --DeadlyNightShade 12:34, 12 November 2006 (MST)
- What is "EML"? --Green Dragon 22:31, 12 November 2006 (MST)
- ECL i mean --DeadlyNightShade
- What ECL (or LA) do you think would be appropriate? --Green Dragon 22:30, 13 November 2006 (MST)
- Propaly 2? --DeadlyNightShade 12:55, 15 November 2006 (MST)
- Would you like to add it to the LA 2 Races page and change the race to be part of the Category:LA2 and Category:ECL2, or would you rather have me do these things? The reason I ask is because if you do it you can decide what the race's description is on the LA 2 Races page. --Green Dragon 14:54, 15 November 2006 (MST)
- Added. --Green Dragon 21:27, 24 January 2007 (MST)
- Thanks for doing it for me, i had a little vacation time from my computer --DeadlyNightShade 19:15, 17 June 2007 (MDT)
I was wondering what you guys thought where about it as it is currently?--shadethedemon 00:40, 29 January 2008 (MST)