Wondrous Item, legendary
This item first appears to be a Large brass sphere weighing 750 pounds. At the very top is a deep recess allowing one Medium or smaller creature to sit comfortably at a set of controls.
The polyippos is a Large object with the following statistics:
Armor Class: 18
Hit Points: 200
Damage Immunities: poison, psychic
To be used as a vehicle, the polyippos requires one pilot. The polyippos has four movement modes, and 1 hour must be spent studying the controls before each movement mode can be used. The polyippos grants half-cover to the pilot; the pilot can also make ranged attacks from the polyippos.
The polyippos has 5 charges, and regains 1d4+1 expended charges daily at dawn.
When first found, the polyippos is in rolling mode. The pilot must use an action to transform the polyippos to a different mode.
- A rolling polyippos has a land speed of 50 feet, and a waterborne speed of 20 feet (or 2 mph).
- You can expend a charge to use a bonus action to gain extra movement as though you had taken the Dash action.
- On your turn if you move at least 20 feet straight towards a Medium or smaller creature, you can move into their space. The creature must succeed on a DC 15 Dexterity check or take 3d10 bludgeoning damage.
- On activating arachnid mode, 8 legs unfold from the polyippos, and the pilot seat sinks into the sphere, providing three-quarters cover.
- In this mode, the chariot has a speed of 25 feet and a climb speed of 25 feet. It can long jump 20 feet and high jump 10 feet.
- You can use your action to make the polyippos attack with a bite.
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +10 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6d8 piercing damage.
- You can spend a charge to cast the web spell from the polyippos. This does not require any components.
- On activating octopod mode, 8 tentacles unfold from the polyippos, and the pilot seat sinks into the sphere, providing total cover. The polyippos is watertight and airtight. It provides air to the pilot for 1 week, then must surface for 1 hour.
- In this mode, the polyippos has a swim speed of 30 feet.
- You can spend a charge to change the polyippos's surface color and texture. This grants you advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide the polyippos.
- In fight mode, the polyippos has a fly speed of 60 feet.
Back to Main Page → 5e Homebrew → Equipment → Magic Mounts and Vehicles