Trainee (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Optional Rule: Child Adventurer
|Donnel from Fire Emblem Awakening|
Trainees are what heroes were before they started their adventures, before they had the funds to invest into their weaponry, before they even knew how to swing a sword around properly. Always training to become apt of become a true adventurer.
Creating a Trainee
Upon creating a Trainee, ask yourself, what are your motivation and your intended class. What are you learning as a trainee? And what for? What do you want to be?
- Quick Build
You can make a trainee quickly by looking at your intended class post-trainee quick build
As a Trainee you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Weapons: Daggers, greatclubs, shortswords, slings
Tools: One of your choice
Saving Throws: One of Constitution, Dexterity or Wisdom; one of Charisma, Intelligence or Strength
Skills: Choose any two
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) a greatclub or (b) two daggers or (c) a sling and 20 sling bullets or (d) a shortsword
- an equipment pack of your choice
- a tool of your choice
|1st||+2||Occupation Expertise, Trainee Training, Promotion|
Choose one of your tool proficiencies. Your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make that uses the chosen tool.
Upon reaching 1st level, you gain the one of the following benefits depending on your ability scores
You can choose this feature if Wisdom is your highest score(or tied with it).
- You become proficient in two Wisdom proficiencies of your choice.
You can choose this feature if Constitution is your highest score(or tied with it).
- Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
You can choose this feature if Charisma is your highest score(or tied with it).
- You can inspire others through stirring words or music. To do so, you use a bonus action on your turn to choose one creature other than yourself within 60 feet of you who can hear you. That creature gains one Trainee Inspiration die, a d4, becomes a d6 at 3rd level.
You can choose this feature if Intelligence is your highest score(or tied with it).
- You know any two cantrips of your choice.
- You always cast them at their lowest level.
- You can choose Charisma, Intelligence of Wisdom as your spellcasting ability for these spells.
- You are an initiate, meaning that cantrips are new to you. To cast one of your Trainee cantrips, you must expend a cantrip slot.
You can choose this feature if Dexterity is your highest score(or tied with it).
You can choose this feature if Strength is your highest score(or tied with it).
When you reach 0 XP, you gain 1st level in a class. That class' Hit Dice replaces your existing HD, and the classes "Hit Points at 1st Level" replaces your maximum hit points. You must meet the class multiclass prerequisites to gain a level in that class, upon reclassing, you gain all that class proficiencies, maintaning this class Saving Throws. If you do not meet any class prerequisites, you can instead become Classless.
You cannot multiclass into this class