Talk:Teleporter (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Teleportation Points (TP)
I don't have a lot of time to go point for point on everything but I do wanna try and touch things as I see them. TP should be spelled out. Also, am I reading correctly that if I have 20 Charisma I can cast a 3rd level spell at first level? ~ BigShotFancyMan 11:35, 14 May 2019 (MDT)
- Yes at 20 you would be able to cast one 3rd level spell per long rest. My thinking being there's a less than 1% chance to roll 18 for stats to be boosted to 20 and that after doing so you lose them until completing a long rest so you'd either want to save it or just use your other spells. But this is also the first time I'm ever making a class so I'm willing to tweak if it's too much.--Dfrickenx (talk) 13:56, 14 May 2019 (MDT)
- I am being patient before ruling it "OMG ITS OP" ~ BigShotFancyMan 06:39, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
- When I had glanced further, clarity. I am not sure what some features actually do: Teleport Proficiency, Range Extension, Friendly Phase, Warp Out.
- It is hard to balance an article without clarity first. ~ BigShotFancyMan 08:59, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
- So I went through, thought about each and my goal in creating that feature, I'm going to separate the others cause they were longer but Range :::::Extension's goal was to increase the distance that the teleporter could travel. So Misty Step would have a 60 foot travel distance as opposed to 30. I :::::understand that that was confusing because the range denoted in the spell itself is self, so thank you for pointing that out :-)--Dfrickenx (talk) 18:24, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
So for teleport proficiency my goal in the feature was to have the teleporter able to teleport easier and at will rather than needing to use their action. This way they could do other things after like dimension door to attack, interact with objects or give a creature a potion. But if the spell required concentration or a material cost the spell isn't second nature and does require an action instead. I hope that makes sense--Dfrickenx (talk) 18:24, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
Friendly phase was to be able to use a spell like dimension door centered on an ally as long as they're willing to have the spell work on them. This way you could move them around the battlefield to more beneficial places without needing to touch them personally, setting up magic users for better positioning or getting them out of harms way.--Dfrickenx (talk) 18:24, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
So the Warp Slayer may not have very high defensive stats but they have to consistently put themselves in harms way by teleporting close to the enemy. I wanted to give them a possible escape route as they start facing even stronger enemies to remove themselves from the fight or at least get away from that enemy. The idea was that if they landed the attack they'd also have the instinctive sense to teleport back from the enemy at contact but if they missed the attack they would have either over committed, been shaken by the failure, or simply stopped from teleporting so that they can not escape from the attack.--Dfrickenx (talk) 18:24, 15 May 2019 (MDT)
I love, love, LOVE the ideas of this class. I would like to take a crack at refining them even more though... a lot of grammar/spelling improvements, applying the rules of When to Italicize and Capitalize, applying the best practices of 5e Class Design Guide, adding more links, adding more hierarchy, fixing a few features that seem really abusable, and clarifying a few mechanics I found a bit confusing.
I've written up a "draft" revision on my user page with all the suggestions, with before-and-after comparisons. Would you mind taking a look? I've tried to retain or guess your original intentions as much as possible, but a handful of features just felt too confusing or abusable and I've suggested more major rewrites for those. The reasons behind each change are included too, in the "compare changes" areas.
Since this is your class, it's only appropriate that I ask you for feedback, and if you like the revision, see if you'd approve of me moving the changes into your Teleporter page here. If you don't like them, no worries, I can figure something else out.
Hope you can take a look! Draft: User:ShadowfaxSTF