Spartus (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Spartoi are created by sowing Hellfire Wyrm teeth in soil treated with onyx powder and then casting Create Greater Undead on the teeth. The Onyx gem described in Create Greater Undead is instead crushed into the soil, and the casting results in one Spartus per tooth instead of one undead, with one class level in Generic Warrior per 3 hit dice of the Hellfire Wyrm where the teeth were plundered from. They also come into being with a masterwork Breastplate, a masterwork Heavy Shield and a Hoplite Longspear. Note: Killing a Hellfire Wyrm yields one tooth per 3 hit dice of the dragon.
Spartoi are fierce skeletal warriors, born from dragon teeth wearing full battle armor, undying except by each other and children of Death himself. They typically are controlled by whoever created them, and are used as powerful soldiers.
Spartoi appear to be about the same as an average human skeleton. However, their looks conceal powerful combat abilities. Each Spartus can rip out their ribs, using them as enhanced daggers, and they are fully capable of using the weapons they are created with. Their eyes glow yellow, and in combat they are a whirlwind of steel and bone, annihilating all in their path. When not in combat, they can assume a imitation of humanity, though with greyish flesh and glowing, yellow eyes.
Spartoi are almost always created for a military purpose, and as such are almost always controlled by their creator. They are perfectly obedient and will slaughter any in the way when following orders.
Same as their creator, since they generally have been magically subdued. However, freed Spartoi tend to live for battle, attacking all in sight, and as such are Chaotic Evil.
As Creator, or none.
None. While they technically are part of the Greek pantheon, they don't really... worship anyone.
None. Their communication is at best hissing and clattering teeth.
On occasion, they might be named by their creator, but in general are nameless.
- Weapon/Armor Proficiency: Spartoi are proficient in Hoplite Longspears, Rib Daggers, shortswords, and heavy shields.
- +6 Strength, no Constitution - as Undead, Spartoi lack a constitution, but are incredibly strong.
- Undead - Spartoi, while fearsome, are skeletons in their roots. Even when humanoid, their grey-ish pallor is reminiscent of a zombie's.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Spartus base land speed is 30 feet.
- (Ex): Regeneration 10. Spartoi are extremely hard to kill - they crumble after a certain point but quickly regenerate. They are vulnerable to anything that instantly destroys undead or Distintegrate like effects and Evil or Good aligned attacks.
- (Ex): Deathless: In addition to normal effects of Regeneration, Spartoi become immune to physical damage when unconscious from nonlethal damage. The only way to delay their regeneration is to scatter their bones (consider each dead Spartoi as twenty diminuitive creatures), and scattered bones gather towards a central point at 5 feet per round. If (20/hit dice) bones gather in one place, they form into a 1 hit dice Tiny Spartoi with 1 hit point, a -12 strength penalty and Regeneration 3. For every (20/hit dice) bones gathered, the Spartoi gains another hit dice and 1 hit point, and at half hit dice, this becomes a Small Spartoi with a -4 strength penalty and Regeneration 5. At full hit dice the Spartoi is completely reformed and regenerates normally.
- (Ex): Rib Daggers - Spartoi can rip out their own ribs as daggers. These are considered +1 Apitude Unholy Serrated Daggers, with 30 ft range increments instead of the normal 10 and 18-20 critical threat range. Ripping out a rib bone this way deals 1 damage per 2 hit dice to the Spartoi, but replacing the rib instantly heals the same amount. If wielded by anything other than a Spartoi, these bones lose their enchantment, becoming merely sharp bone (useable as improvised daggers).
- (Ex): Thunderous Throw - Spartoi gain the Bloodstorm Blade ability Thunderous Throw - they treat thrown weapons as melee attacks.
- Spell-Like Abilities: At Will, Fear (CL equal to hit dice, save DC 13+Cha).
- Racial Hit Dice: A Spartus begins with four levels of undead, which provide 4d12 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +2, and base saving throw bonuses of Fort +1, Ref +1, and Will +4.
- Racial Skills: A Spartus’ undead levels give it skill points equal to 7 x (4 + Int modifier, minimum 1). Its class skills are Climb (Str),Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Swim (Str), Spot (Wis).
Skills: Spartoi have a +8 racial bonus on Disguise checks to appear humanoid, Hide, Intimidate, Listen, Move Silently, and Spot checks. Otherwise same as the base creature.
- Racial Feats: A Spartus’ Undead levels gives it one feat, plus Two Weapon Fighting.
- +4 natural armor bonus. Spartoi are tougher than the average skeleton.
- DR 10/Bludgeoning. Spartoi lack organs like skeletons, but are even tougher.
- Automatic Languages: None. Spartoi cannot speak. Bonus Languages: None.
- Favored Class: Generic Warrior.
- Level Adjustment: +3
Hoplite Longspear: Identical to a Longspear in every way except it is One-handed and considered Light for purposes of Phalanx Fighting.
Rib Dagger: Identical to a Dagger in every way except with a critical threat range of 18-20/x3 and a range increment of 30 ft.
Spartoi don't age.
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d10||60 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 5”||+2d10||50 lb.||× (1d4) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races [[Category:LA+2]