Ranged Weapon Expert (5e Feat)
From D&D Wiki
Ranged Weapon Expert
Prerequisites: Dexterity 15 or higher, Proficiency with atleast 1 Ranged Weapon, Level 4 or higher
Your extended use of a particulair ranged weapon at range has made you an expert at using it.
When you choose this feat, choose 1 Ranged Weapon you are Proficient with. While using your Chosen Weapon you gain the following benefits:
- When you make an Attack with your Chosen Weapon you get half your Proficiency Bonus (Rounded Down) as a bonus to your Attack Roll.
- When you use the Attack Action with the Chosen Weapon against a target that is beyond Normal Range, you can take a Bonus Action to attack with the Chosen Weapon one additional time with a -5 penalty to the Attack roll, or to reload the Chosen Weapon.
- When you use the Attack Action with the Chosen Weapon against a target that is in Melee Range (5ft), your Chosen Weapon's Critical Hit Range Increases by one. (If you normally score a Critical Hit on a 20 roll, you now do so on a roll of 19 or 20. If you normally score a Critical Hit on a 19 or 20 roll, you now do so on a roll of 18, 19 or 20. And so on.)
- When you score a Critical Hit with your Chosen Weapon, you can roll one die of your choise one additional time and add it to the total damage of the Critical Hit.
Due to your extensive use of a single Ranged Weapon at range there are also some downsides:
- When take the Attack action with a Ranged Weapon that is not your Chosen Weapon, your weapon gets a -2 debuff. (Apply a -2 penalty to both the Attack Roll and the Damage Roll, compared to what the weapon would normally do)
- When you make an Attack with a Ranged Weapon that is not your Chosen Weapon, your Critical Hit Range Decreases by one. (If you normally score a Critical Hit on a 20 roll, you now can not. If you normally score a Critical Hit on a 19 or 20 roll, you now do so on a roll of 20. And so on.)
If you have not spent time with your Chosen Weapon for a week or longer you lose Attunment with your Chosen Weapon. You need to spend a week to get Attuned to it again, or to get Attuned to a different Ranged Weapon.
It should be noted that when choosing your weapon you choose one weapon Item, not the weapon as a type, meaning that if you for example have 2 Hand Crossbows you can only pick one of them.
Reminder that a Weapon with the "Thrown" Trait is not a Ranged Weapon and can therefore be Thrown without being affected by the downsides.