New Aglecians (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
New Aglecians are a fairly primitive people. They are gentle in social situations, though their ways may seem savage or brutal to outsiders. Aware of a civilization that lived long before their own, they have a reverent curiosity for the ruins strewn across their oceanic homeworld. Tribal by nature, these people form close-knit groups that collectively protect and provide for one another. Their acute sense of smell and resistance to toxins makes them effective chemists and alchemists, while their hardy nature makes them effective combatants. Their reproductive cycles, however, being closely tied to their volcanically active oceanic homeworld, has them visiting home fairly often
New Aglecians have a humanoid torso connected to a lobster-like tail. Their entire body is covered in a colorful, hard plated exoskeleton that grows thicker with age. They have no eyes, nose, or ears, possessing instead two pairs of olfactory antennae, electrosensitive pores on their heads, and vibration sensitive hairs lining their feet. They have complex mouths adapted to pierce, cut, and scrape while crab-like mandibles hold their food in place. Adult New Aglecians are large by general standards, standing at an average eight feet tall and weighing two thousand pounds on average.
Being generally very ugly, with voices that turn into raspy screeches outside of water, has the New Aglecians at a tremendous social disadvantage. Their difficulty learning foreign languages and the difficulty of others learning their own presented a thick cultural barrier upon their introduction, and their destructive clumsiness, unabashed eating habits, and attraction to warmth have classified them as nuisances to most other species. They have earned nicknames like "battle lobsters," "devil bugs," and "water roaches." Nevertheless, they have grown to be generally accepted despite profound racism, mostly due to their incredible ability to survive in most places with water.
Generally any Good, though Neutral and Evil are not unheard of.
Aquatic by nature, New Aglecians are able to survive in almost any aquatic environment. Though they prefer salt water oceans, they can make due in bodies of fresh water. Being highly adaptable, they are also capable of surviving on dry land, provided they have a readily available water source. They feel most comfortable, however, roaming their deep sea home of Aglecia around their geothermal vents.
Being born through molten rock and fire, the New Aglecians revere volcanoes and geothermal vents as givers of life and warmth. They feel a deep affinity for volcanic rock. Their faith, being almost shamanistic in nature, translates to the common tongue as "The Obsidian Song."
New Aglecians speak Aglecian, a language characterized by sequential clicking and long song-like notes. Under water the language is beautiful to listen to, but when spoken in dry air it becomes a mix of rasps and screeching that most species find horrifying and painful to hear. The New Aglecians also find it very uncomfortable trying to speak on dry land, though they've found few alternatives. Their song-like language, consisting of complex harmonies and melodic cadence, lends credence to their name for themselves which translates to "Singers of the Song of That Which Lies Lamented in the Obsidian" in the common tongue, the name itself being testament to the long-destroyed civilization that once inhabited Aglecia. Aglecian is not to be confused with the dead language Old Aglecian which was spoken by Aglecia's first civilization.
Aglecian names consist of long strings of clicks and a variety of harmonizing notes, like much of their language. As such, most cannot pronounce their names and have taken to calling them by various nicknames, which the New Aglecians have quickly grown to accept.
- +4 Constitution, +1 Strength, −2 Dexterity, −4 Charisma:
- Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic):
- Large: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus to special attacks, space 10 feet, carrying capacity triple those of medium characters. Reach is only 5 ft.
- New Aglecian base land speed is 20 feet.
- New Aglecians have a swim speed of 30 feet.
- Racial Skills: Listen,Knowledge(Geography), and Survival are treated as class skills.
- Blindsight (Ex): New Aglecians are without eyes, but possess a sort of echolocative awareness of their surroundings through vibration-sensitivity. This extends to 30 feet around them.
- SRD:Tremorsense (Ex): 60 ft.
- Electrosensitive (Ex): Functions as Sense Life (3.5e Spell) with a range of 10 feet on land and 30 feet under water. The effect is as if Sense Life is constantly active, but the New Aglecian must focus on the ability to gain more information in consecutive rounds.
- Scent (Ex)
- Limited Regeneration (Ex): Damage dealt to the limbs of a New Aglecian is treated as nonlethal damage. Should a limb be severed or otherwise removed, the New Aglecian will regrow it over a period equal to (10 - its Constitution modifier) months. Until such time has passed the limb is not considered usable.
- Amphibious (Ex): New Aglecians possess a water bladder that they use to keep their gills moist on dry land. This way they are able to breathe on land without issue provided they replenish their personal water supply with one water ration at least twice a day.
- Waste-Not (Ex): Having adapted to eat whatever and whenever they can, New Aglecians bring new meaning to "omnivore." Able to eat any organic matter (even rotting), they may survive eating what most could not. They are even capable of consuming mineral matter such as rocks and some metals, though the nutritive qualities of this are significantly less.
- Want-Not (Ex): New Aglecians have adapted in the solitary depths of the abyssal oceans to go long periods of time without food. They may go up to four days without eating with no negative consequences.
- SRD:Resistance to Energy (Ex): Fire/40. Cold/10
- +6 natural armor bonus
- Natural Weapon: Slam (1d8). A New Aglecian is able to use its slam attack as its primary attack instead of a weapon. Claw (1d6). A New Aglecian may use its claws a a secondary attack. Bite (2d6). Upon executing a successful grapple check, a New Aglecian may perform a bite attack the next round. After the attack is complete, the New Aglecian must make another successful grapple check to keep its grip. The bite attack may be performed once a round for so long as successful grapple checks are made until the grapple is broken or the foe is dead.
- +5 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.
- +2 racial bonus to Search checks made against poisons.
- +3 racial bonus to Listen checks. Increases to +5 in water.
- Damage Reduction: 5/ slashing
- Automatic Languages: Aglecian. Bonus Languages: Common.
- Favored Class: Cleric, Bard, Barbarian.
- Level Adjustment: +1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|300 years||450 years||700 years||+(5d20) years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Hermaphrodite||7' 9"||+3d4||100 lb.||× (3d12) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races