Medrosakal (5e Race)

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
This content deviates from 5e standards. Its use could dramatically alter campaigns, take extreme care. DesignDisclaimer.png
Caution - Here there be monsters!
This content intends to provide a different experience, or goes beyond the scope of the anticipated subjects and situations, than the 5e rules were intended to handle. Some portions of the content below may not be what you expect from traditional game content. When implementing this content, DMs and Players should read over all the information carefully, and consider the following specific notes of interest:
This race has only female members and interacts differently with armor types. There is also a potential at higher levels to replicate the abilities of a high level spell innately due to the race adhering closely to the original monster.


Medrosakal are female humanoids with snakes hidden in their hair.

Physical Description[edit]

Medrosakal skin is any shade of gray from very light to very dark. They have hair ranging from white to black, or any shade in between – but always with a greenish tint – and is always 2 feet in length. If it is cut for any reason or by any means, it will instantly regrow to its original length. Medrosakal have a very shapely woman's form. They are a very comely race, standing 5'-6' tall, with the snakes adding another 2 feet. The snakes are perfectly hidden due to the fact that they are naturally streaked to look like the medrosakal's hair.

Medrosakal wear clothing of their own make that reveals much of their beautiful bodies. They seldom wear armor and cannot wear helmets. What armor they might wear must be made specially to show as much skin as possible, while remaining at least partially functional. This means that they cannot wear armor heavier than chainmail or elven chain.


It is not known how or why, but for some reason drow are the only race able to produce halfbreed children with medusae. All medrosakal are female.

Medrosakal are not affected by reflective surfaces as medusae are. Because of this, they are very vain - they’re beautiful and they know it! In their homes can be found at least 1 full-body mirror in each room. It is a rare day that a medrosakal will not look into a mirror when passing by one.

Medrosakal do not have sex for procreation, but for pure pleasure. This is because the coupling of drow and medusa has resulted in a side effect where they are infertile and cannot procreate by normal means. When you reach the age of maturity, you automatically become pregnant and deliver the child 10 months later. If you are mortally wounded, you must find a safe place to hide. Whether you find a safe place or not, a cocoon-like substance will surround you. If you are not found and killed within 72 hours, your stomach will burst open as a new medrosakal emerges into the world. This new medrosakal grows to full maturity within 3d6 hours with half the levels (minimum level 1) and completely different persona of the now dead parent. Roll for random alignment.


It is not apparent until about the age of five what their true nature is. When a medusa learns of what she has hatched, she immediately takes the abomination to the wilderness and leaves it there to die.

Usually, the child is found by other medrosakal, but is occasionally found by other races. When this happens, there is a 35% chance that the person(s) finding her will take her in. The other 65% will outright kill the creature.

Unlike medusae, drow find medrosakal to be useful. When a drow finds one, they “rescue” the child — to be used for their own purposes. The child is taken to the drow’s home and is usually used as a slave but treated better than their common slaves. If the medrosakal proves herself to the drow, she may be “promoted” by being set free and made a citizen. Sometimes she will be made a citizen upon returning to the drow’s home in order for the child to gain trust in her new guardian and, therefore, be more willing to do whatever the drow wishes. Medrosakal in drow society can hold positions of rank, but never anything higher than Marquise.

Medrosakal Names[edit]

Medrosakal use the same naming conventions as their adoptive race.

Medrosakal Traits[edit]

Medusa/Drow halfbreed.
Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 2 and your Dexterity score increases by 1.
Age. Unlike their medusa mothers, medrosakal are not immortal, though some may question this. They mature at the same rate as humans do and reach adulthood around the age of 20. They live much longer than humans, however, and live even longer than avariel elves, often exceeding 3,000 years.
Alignment. Medrosakal generally tend toward the neutral alignments.
Size. Medrosakal stand between 5 and 6 feet tall. Your size is Medium.
Speed. As a Medium creature, your base walking speed is 30 feet.
Darkvision. You can see in dim light within 60 feet of you as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it were dim light. You can't discern color in darkness, only shades of gray.
Keen Senses and Comeliness. Medrosakal are always alert and very beautiful. You have proficiency in the Perception and Persuasion skills.
Fey Ancestry. You have advantage on saving throws against being charmed and magic cannot put you to sleep.
Immunities. You are immune to your own poison from your snake hair. Because medrosakal are only female and cannot be male, you are immune to anything that would cause you to change your gender.
Drow and Medusa Blood. You count as a drow and a medusa for the feats you can choose and effects related to race. You can take the drow high magic feat as if you were a drow instead of another general feat. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for these spells, should you acquire them.
Monstrous Humanoid. Your creature type is both humanoid and monstrosity.
Reduced Armor. Any armor you wear (up to and including chain mail) has a -1 armor class (AC) penalty and is 20% lighter due to the modifications made to expose their bodies. This means that studded leather armor would be AC 11 + your Dexterity modifier and weigh 10 pounds, chainmail AC 15 at 44 lbs., etc. Increase the maximum Dexterity bonus by 1 for medium armors, ring mail and chainmail.

Their armor also costs more because of these modifications. Multiply the base price by x1.25 to find the price of this armor. They are limited to chainmail as the heaviest armor they can wear and cannot wear helmets, no matter what class they are. Padded and leather armors are unaffected by the AC penalty but still weigh less and cost more due to the modifications.
Snake Hair. Your hair ranges from white to black, or any shade in between, but always with a greenish tint and it’s always 2 feet in length. If it is cut for any reason, it will instantly regrow to its original length. 2d4+4 snakes are hidden in your hair. They are 2 feet long and are perfectly hidden due to the fact that they are naturally streaked to look like your hair.

As an Action, you can make a special unarmed strike with your snake hair against a creature within 5 feet of you. You can use your Dexterity modifier for this attack instead of your Strength modifier. On a hit, the creature takes 1d4 points of piercing damage and must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Charisma modifier) or take 2d6 poison damage. You are always proficient with your snakes for attacking. After using this trait, you must finish a short or long rest before using it again.
Petrifying Gaze. Beginning at 3rd level, you can use your action to focus your gaze on one creature whose eyes you can see within 30 feet of you. The creature must make a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + your Charisma modifier + your proficiency bonus) or be restrained while you maintain eye contact with it. Creatures that are blinded automatically succeed on this save. At the end of its next turn, the creature is no longer restrained. You must finish a long rest before using this trait again and it is not an automatic function.

When you reach 11th level, you have learned to focus your gaze with such skill that when the creature fails the save, the restrained creature must repeat the saving throw at the end of its next turn, becoming petrified on a failure or ending the effect on a success. The petrification lasts until the creature is freed by greater restoration or a similar spell. If the creature fails the initial save by 5 or more, the creature is instantly petrified.

Unless surprised, a creature can avert its eyes to avoid the saving throw at the start of its turn. If the creature does so, it can't see the medrosakal and the use of this trait will have been expended until she takes a long rest.
Master Bowmaker. Medrosakal are proficient with woodcarver's tools, longbows and shortbows.
Languages. You can speak, read and write Common, Elvish and Undercommon.

Random Height and Weight[edit]

5′ 0'' +1d12 110 lb. × (1d4) lb.

*Height = base height + height modifier
**Weight = base weight + (height modifier × weight modifier)

(0 votes)

Back to Main Page5e HomebrewRaces

Home of user-generated,
homebrew pages!