Master of Fell Secrets (3.5e Prestige Class)
From D&D Wiki
Master of Fell Secrets
|“||Well thats a new trick...||”|
|—Gorin, Dwarf Scholar, Last Words|
Shadows leap from corner to corner, walls of flames erupt from nowhere, a disembodied eye stalks the shelves of an inn; these are the calling cards of a Master of Fell Secrets. These particular Warlocks search to expand their fiendish power through the increasing use of their invocations. While not forgoing the use of their eldritch blast, they do use a variety of other trickery and expanded powers to continue their quests and plots.
Becoming a Master of Fell Secrets
Master of Fell Secrets are Warlocks who rely less on their eldritch blast, and more on the utility provided by their invocations. Be it by summoning elementals, taking control of the mind of an enemy, or covering the battlefield in a noxious gas, Masters of Fell Secrets always try to avoid engaging in combat directly.
|Skills:||Knowledge (The Planes) 8 Ranks, Spellcraft 8 ranks.|
|Invocations:||Any three that are not Blast Shape or Eldritch Essence invocations.|
|1st||+0||+0||+2||+2||Improved Invocation, Warlock Abilities, Ability Focus||2|
|3rd||+2||+1||+3||+3||Improved Invocation, Invocation Focus (+1)||4|
|5th||+3||+1||+4||+4||Improved Invocation, Invocation Focus (+2)||7|
|7th||+5||+2||+5||+5||Improved Invocation, Invocation Focus (+3)||10|
|9th||+6||+3||+6||+6||Improved Invocation, Invocation Focus (+4)||13|
Class Skills (4 + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Master of Fell Secrets.
Invocations (Sp): As you gain levels in this class, in addition to the invocations you would learn from your warlock class, you gain additional known invocations as indicated on the table above. The invocations you learn cannot be from an invocation level you do not already have access to. i.e. If a 5th level warlock only has access to least and lesser invocations and then enters this class for his 6th level, the warlock may only learn least or lesser invocations.
Warlock Abilities (Ex): Your levels in this prestige class stack with your levels in your Warlock Prestige class for determining what type of invocations you have access to at any given level. Additionally, your Eldritch Blast damage and Damage Reduction abilities continue to increase at the same rate.
Ability Focus (Ex): At 1st level you gain Ability Focus as a bonus feat.
Improved Invocation (Su): At every level, the Master of Fell Secrets improves one of his existing invocations as per the list below and can choose a new one from the list as they progress. He must know the invocation before electing to improve it with this class ability. Benefits only apply when the invocation is used or while it is in effect. Once the invocation is chosen it cannot be changed.
- All-Seeing Eyes (Su): You can see in all directions at once. You cannot be flanked. You suffer a -4 on saves against gaze attacks.
- Baleful Utterance (Su): When using this Invocation, the weight limit of objects you can affect is doubled. When used to damage a crystalline creature, the saving throw DC is increased by 4.
- Beguiling Influence (Su): Bonuses gained from this invocation also apply to Gather Information. You can make 1 re-roll of one of these skills while this invocation is active. You may not use this reroll more than once per day, even if you use the invocation more than once per day.
- Breath of the Night (Su): The radius of the Fog Cloud increases to 40ft and lasts for 1 minute per caster level.
- Call of the Beast (Su): You gain a +6 bonus to Handle Animal, Survival, and Ride checks.
- Cocoon of Refuse (Su): The reflex save DC increases by 4, and the DC of checks made to escape the cocoon increases by 4.
- Dark One's Own Luck (Su): Any effect that allows a saving throw for partial effect is negated on a successful save. You still take the full effect on a failed save. This applies only to the saving throw that benefits from the use of this invocation.
- Darkness (Su): Acts as Deeper Darkness instead of Darkness, with a duration of 24 hours.
- Devil's Sight (Su): The range at which you can see into darkness and magical darkness increases by 30ft.
- Drain Incarnum (Su): Targets who fail their save suffer 1d4 points of Essentia damage. Targets without an essentia pool suffer 1d4 Wisdom damage.
- Earthen Grasp (Su): The base strength score of the hand is equal to your Charisma score, not 14. The arm also has a +4 circumstance bonus on grapple checks.
- Entropic Warding (Su): You gain a +4 deflection bonus to your Armor Class against ranged attacks increasing the miss percentage to 50%.
- Leaps and Bounds (Su): Bonuses gained from this invocation also apply to Climb checks. When making standing jumps, you are still treated as if you got a running start. Your land speed is increased by 10 feet.
- Miasmic Cloud (Su): The radius of the cloud increases to 30ft. Characters who are fatigued as a result of this invocation are fatigued for 1d4+1 rounds after leaving the cloud.
- Otherworldly Whispers}} (Su): The benefits of this invocation extend to two other knowledge skills of your choice, chosen at the time this invocation is used. Once chosen, the benefits may not be changed for 24 hours.
- See the Unseen (Su): You also gain Blindsight out to 30ft.
- Serpent's Tongue (Su): The bonus on saves against poison increase by 2. You also gain a +6 bonus on saves against disease.
- Soulreaving Aura (Su): There is no maximum number of temporary hit points that can be gained by use of this invocation. Temporary hit points accumulated from multiple deaths as a result of this invocation stack. The temporary hit points last for 1 round per warlock level.
- Spiderwalk (Su): You do not need bare hands & feet to use this ability, and you can move at your full speed when traversing walls and ceilings.
- Summon Swarm (Su): The duration of the spell is increased to Concentration + 2 rounds.
- Swimming the Styx (Su): Your swim speed increases by 30 feet, and you can communicate with aquatic creatures as if affected Speak with Animals.
- Charm (Su): The Will Save DC to resist this invocation is increased by 4.
- Cold Comfort (Su): This invocation also provides Resistance to Fire 5 and Cold 5. The range is increased to 60ft.
- Crawling Eye (Su): You can direct your eye as a free action instead of a move action. If destroyed, you eye regrows in 1 hour. The speed at which your eye crawls increases to 30ft.
- Curse of Despair (Su): The Save DC of this invocation increases by 2. The -1 penalty to attack rolls also applies to damage rolls and armor class.
- Disembodied Hand (Su): You can direct your hand to move as a free action instead of a move action. When your hand is destroyed, it regrows in 1 hour. The movement speed of your hand is increased by 10ft.
- Dread Seizure (Su): This invocation now lasts 2d4+2 rounds. If your opponent fails their saving throw, they are stunned on the first round of this invocations effect.
- Fell Flight (Su): Your fly speed increases by 30 feet with perfect maneuverability and you gain the use of the Flyby Attack feat while this invocation is active.
- Flee the Scene (Su): The range of the Dimension Door effect is doubled and the Major Image lasts for 1d6 rounds.
- Hungry Darkness (Su): You can see through the darkness created by this invocation. Your bats bypass damage reduction as if they were aligned according to your alignment and as if their attacks were made with cold iron.
- Ignore the Pyre (Su): You may select two energy types, instead of one, when using this invocation. Your energy resistance increases by an amount equal to your Charisma Modifier.
- Mask of Flesh (Su): This invocation now lasts 24 hours. The Will Save DC is increased by 4.
- Relentless Dispelling (Su): You gain a +10 insight bonus on all dispell checks made using this invocation.
- Spider Shape (Su): This invocation lasts for 24 hours. You are immune to poison and can speak with spiders while using this invocation.
- Steal Incarnum (Su): You retain the stolen essentia for 1 minute per caster level. Targets who fail their Will Save take 1 point of Wisdom damage.
- Stony Grasp (Su): The hand's base strength is equal to your Charisma score. It receives a +4 bonus on grapple checks. It can appear out of any stone surface, even worked stone such as cobblestone or castle walls.
- Sudden Swarm (Su): The swarm remains for twice the normal duration. You can control two swarms at once.
- The Dead Walk (Su): The onyx provided is no longer needed as a material component for this invocation. Undead created with this invocation last twice as long.
- Thieves' Bane (Su): Creatures affected must also succeed a Fortitude save or be knocked prone and stunned for 1 round.
- Voidsense (Su): Your blindsense improves to blindsight and the range is increased to 60ft.
- Voracious Dispelling (Su): You gain a +10 insight bonus on dispel checks made with this ability.
- Walk Unseen (Su): You gain immunity to 0 through 3rd level divinations used against you while you are using this ability.
- Wall of Gloom (Su): The wall can prevent creatures of up to 9HD (instead of 6HD) from passing through. Anyone who passes through the wall must succeed a Fortitude save or become shaken for 1d4 rounds.
- Weighty Utterance (Su): Creatures forced to the ground by this invocation cannot fly again for 1d6 rounds. The Will Save DC is increased by 4.
- Witchwood Step (Su): You suffer no penalties from difficult terrain (including slippery terrain, like ice). You reduce the distance of any fall by 10ft for every 3 warlock levels you possess.
- Caustic Mire (Su): You can designate certain areas within the area of effect to be clean of the sludge.
- Chilling Tentacles (Su): The tentacles gain an additional +4 bonus on grapple checks. They also gain a +3 bonus on all damage rolls.
- Devil's Whispers Su: When you use this invocation, you can elect to have the target forget the experience entirely if they fail their second Will save. You must make this choice at the time you use the invocation. Additionally, the Will Save DC increases by 2.
- Devour Magic (Su): You gain a +10 insight bonus on dispel checks made with this ability. Your temporary hit points last for 1 minute per caster level.
- Dragonward (Su): You gain a +2 bonus on saving throws against breath weapons, spells, and other supernatural abilities of dragons.
- Enervating Shadow (Su): Whenever a creature fails it's saving throw agains this invocation, they also take 1 negative level.
- Hellspawned Grace (Su): You can retain your form for a number of rounds equal to your warlock level. If reduced to 0 hit points while in Hellcat form, you can use the invocation again after only 30 minutes, instead of one hour.
- Nightmares Made Real (Su): The duration and area of effect of this invocation are doubled.
- Painful Slumber of Ages (Su): If a creature fails their Will Save, you can implant a suggestion to be carried out as soon as they wake up.
- Tenacious Plague (Su): You summon 4 additional swarms when using this ability. The swarms also bypass damage reduction as if their attacks were aligned according to your alignment and cold iron.
- Wall of Perilous Flame (Su): Your wall deals +1d4 damage per die and is twice as thick.
- Warlock's Call (Su): You can negate the damage from Warlock's Call with a successful Will Save. The Will Save DC is increased by 2.
- Caster's Lament (Su): You may make a 2 attempts to break enchantment on a single magical effect per day, rather than one.
- Dark Discorporation (Su): Your fly speed increases by 30ft. in addition, your swarm attack also deals your eldritch blast damage.
- Dark Foresight (Su): Duration extends to 1 day. The insight bonus gained increases to +3.
- Impenetrable Barrier (Su): You no longer suffer damage when your barrier is destroyed. You gain 4 additional 10-foot squares to the area of your barrier.
- Incarnum Shroud (Su): The bonus granted by investing essentia into this invocation is +2 instead of +1 per point of essentia.
- Path of Shadow (Su): You regain hit points every minute, rather than every hour. In addition when you end your shadow travel you no longer are shunted in a random direction and are able to pinpoint where you arrive on the material plane.
- Retributive Invisibility (Su): You deal damage in a 30ft radius burst when your invocation is dispelled. Additionally, targets are stunned for 1d4 rounds on a failed save.
- Steal Summoning (Su): You gain a +4 on your caster level check to take control of a summoned creature. This effect now lasts 1d4 rounds after concentration ends.
- Word of Changing (Su): The save DC of both the initial and secondary save are increased by 2.
Invocation Focus (Ex): Whenever you use an invocation, the DC of that invocation increases by +1 at 3rd level, +2 at 5th level, +3 at 7th level, and +4 at 9th level.
Masters of Fell Secrets in the Game
Masters of Fell Secrets don't tend to be the easiest to work with in adventuring parties but they do tend to valuable assets or terrible enemies to any group.
These special kinds of warlocks tend to be slightly more power hungry and a overall more pretentious than regular warlocks. As a character they will look down on regular arcane casters, viewing their methods to be insufficient since invocations can be used any number of times they wish. With combat focused characters they tend to get along, allowing the brutes to be used as a shield for their fiendish powers. After all better them take the beating then the Master. As NPC's they will play similarly, usually traveling alone though some through history have started academies to teach other lost warlocks of their ways, while most who do this end up starting a kind of tyranny over their local towns or cities, some out in the world truly wish to teach...albeit to increase their own power.