Medium fiend (daemon), neutral evil
Armor Class 20 (natural armor)
Hit Points 345 (30d8 + 210)
Speed 30 ft.
Skills Deception +15, Perception +12, Persuasion +15
Damage Resistances cold, fire, lightning; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical attacks
Damage Immunities acid, poison
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, poisoned
Senses truesight 120 ft., passive Perception 22
Languages Abyssal, Common, Infernal, telepathy 120 ft.
Conquest Aura. While the horseman is not incapacitated, if a creature within 30 feet of the horseman is frightened by it, that creature's speed is reduced to 0 while it remains frightened, and it can't benefit from any bonus to its speed. Additionally, when that creature starts its turn within the horseman's aura, it takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage.
Innate Spellcasting. The horseman's innate spellcasting ability is Charisma (save DC 23, +15 to hit with spell attacks). The horseman can cast the following spells, requiring no material components:
At will: alter self, charm person, crusader's mantle, darkness, dispel magic, tongues (self only)
2/day each: bestow curse, command, dominate beast, dominate person, elemental armor, fear, hold person, spiritual weapon
Legendary Resistance. If the horseman fails a saving throw, it can choose to succeed instead.
Magic Resistance. The horseman has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. The horseman's weapon attacks are magical.
Mounted Combatant. The horseman rides upon the horse of conquest. While the horseman is mounted and not incapacitated, it has advantage on melee attack rolls against creatures smaller than its mount, it can force an attack targeted at its mount to target it instead, and when its mount is subjected to an effect that allows it to make a Dexterity saving throw to take only half damage, it instead takes no damage if it succeeds on the saving throw, and only half damage if it fails.
Scornful Rebuke. When a creature hits the horseman with an attack, that creature takes 10 (3d6) psychic damage.
Multiattack. The horseman can use its Frightful Presence. It then makes three attacks with its longbow.
Longbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +15 to hit, range 150/600 ft., one target. Hit: 17 (2d8 + 8) piercing damage, and one of the following effects occurs at random. Each effect can occur only once per turn; reroll duplicates. The horseman knows which effect its attack will have before it makes the attack.
- 1. Banishing Arrow. The attack deals an additional 7 (2d6) force damage, and the target must make a DC 20 Charisma saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is banished to a harmless demiplane. While banished, the target is incapacitated. At the end of the target's next turn, it reappears in the space it vacated or in the nearest unoccupied space if that space is occupied, and is no longer incapacitated.
- 2. Beguiling Arrow. The target takes an additional 14 (4d6) psychic damage, and must succeed on a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by the horseman until the start of the horseman's next turn.
- 3. Bursting Arrow. The target and all creatures within 10 feet of the target each take 14 (4d6) force damage.
- 4. Enfeebling Arrow. The target takes an additional 14 (4d6) necrotic damage, and must succeed on a DC 20 Constitution saving throw or the damage dealt by its weapon attacks is halved until the start of the horseman's next turn.
- 5. Grasping Arrow. The attack deals an additional 14 (4d6) poison damage, and grasping, poisonous brambles wrap around the target. The first time on each of the target's turns it moves 1 foot or more without teleporting, it takes 14 (4d6) slashing damage. The target or any creature that can reach it can use its action to remove the brambles with a successful DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check. Otherwise, the brambles wither and die after 1 minute.
- 6. Piercing Arrow. The horseman doesn't make an attack roll for the longbow attack. Instead, the arrow shoots forward in a 1 foot wide, 30 foot long line before disappearing. The arrow passes through objects harmlessly and ignores cover. Each creature in that line makes a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes the normal damage from the horseman's longbow attack plus an additional 7 (2d6) piercing damage. On a successful save, a creature takes half as much damage.
- 7. Seeking Arrow. The horseman doesn't make an attack roll for the longbow attack. Instead, the horseman chooses one creature it has seen in the past minute. The arrow flies toward that creature, moving around corners if necessary and ignoring half and three-quarters cover. If the target is within the weapon's range and there is a path large enough for the arrow to travel to the target, the target must make a DC 20 Dexterity saving throw. Otherwise, the arrow disappears after traveling as far as it can. On a failed save, the target takes the normal damage from the horseman's longbow attack plus an additional 7 (2d6) force damage, and the horseman learns the target's current location. On a successful save, the target takes half as much damage, and the horseman does not learn the target's current location.
- 8. Shadow Arrow. The target takes an additional 14 (4d6) psychic damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 20 Wisdom saving throw or be unable to see anything farther than 5 feet away until the start of the horseman's next turn.
Frightful Presence. Each creature of the horseman's choice that is within 120 feet and aware of it must succeed on a DC 18 Wisdom saving throw or become frightened for 1 minute. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune to the horseman's Frightful Presence for the next 24 hours.
Incite Fanaticism. The horseman chooses up to four of its allies within 60 feet of it that can see it. For 1 minute, each of those allies makes attack rolls with advantage and can't be frightened.
The horseman can take 3 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creature's turn. The horseman regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.
Mounted Movement. The horseman's mount moves up to its speed.
Attack. The horseman makes one longbow attack.
Cast a Spell (Costs 2 Actions). The horseman casts a spell with a casting time of 1 action, expending a use as normal.
The horseman of conquest is a fearsome opponent, wearing a golden crown and wielding a longbow. The arrows of this bow cackle maniacally as they travel through the air and are imbued with a malign sort of intellect that drives them to maim the living however they can. When the horseman of conquest is compelled to travel the world, war is sure to follow.