Dragonborn, Variant (5e Race Variant)
From D&D Wiki
This race variant is based on and inspired by the Unearthed Arcana article "That Old Black Magic" by Wizards of the Coast.
As a dragonborn, you gain the following traits from the standard dragonborn race of the SRD:
- Draconic Ancestry
- Damage Resistance
Additionally, the following traits are modified from the SRD:
- Ability Score Increase. Your Strength score increases by 1.
- Draconic Feature. Your draconic feature allows you to emulate some of the supernatural aspects of dragons. Each subrace provides a list draconic features option for you.
- Some draconic features require your target to make a saving throw to resist the feature's effect. The saving throw DC equals 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Constitution modifier.
- Languages. You can speak, read, and write Common and Draconic.
This variant introduces new subraces for the dragonborn. Each subrace offers traits in addition to the ones noted above. The race presented in the SRD is the breath dragonborn, which is summarized here for ease of reference.
|Dragon||Damage Type||Breath Weapon|
|Black||Acid||5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)|
|Blue||Lightning||5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)|
|Brass||Fire||5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)|
|Bronze||Lightning||5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)|
|Copper||Acid||5 by 30 ft. line (Dex. save)|
|Gold||Fire||15 ft. cone (Dex. save)|
|Green||Poison||15 ft. cone (Con. save)|
|Red||Fire||15 ft. cone (Dex. save)|
|Silver||Cold||15 ft. cone (Con. save)|
|White||Cold||15 ft. cone (Con. save)|
Breath dragonborn can emulate dragon's breath weapon by exhaling destructive energy.
- Draconic Feature: Breath Weapon. You can use your action to exhale destructive energy. Your draconic ancestry determines the size, shape, and damage type of the exhalation, as shown on the table on the right.
- When you use your breath weapon, each creature in the area of the exhalation must make a saving throw, the type of which is determined by your draconic ancestry. A creature takes 2d6 damage on a failed save, and half as much damage on a successful one. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level.
- After you use your breath weapon, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.
Claw dragonborn grow sharp claws from their hands, which represents the ferocity from their draconic heritage.
- Draconic Feature: Claws. Your hands grow sharp claws. Your unarmed strikes deal 1d4 slashing damage. The damage increases to 1d6 at 6th level, 1d8 at 11th level, and 1d10 at 16th level.
- Draconic Feature: Draconic Ferocity. When you score a critical hit with your unarmed strikes, you can roll one of the damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.
Scale dragonborn grow an extra layer of thick scales, which provides a durable resistance against outer harms.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2.
- Draconic Feature: Draconic Fortitude. Your hit point maximum increases by 1, and it increases by 1 every time you gain a level.
- Draconic Feature: Draconic Defense. The scales over your body serves as a natural armor. When you reach 6th level, while you are not wearing armor, your AC equals 11 + your Dexterity modifier. You can wield a shield and gain this benefit. The base AC while not wearing armor increases to 12 at 11th level, and 13 at 16th level.
Tail dragonborn have long, scaly tails, which provides an extra balance as well as combat maneuvers.
- Draconic Feature: Balanced Proportion. You are proficient in the Acrobatics skill.
- Draconic Feature: Tail Attack. When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can make one of the attacks with your tail. Your tail is a melee weapon attack that deals 1d8 bludgeoning damage for this purpose. When you hit a creature no more than one size larger than you with your tail, it must succeed on a Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
Wing dragonborn grow scaly wings from their back, which can be used as weapons as well as means of flight.
- Ability Score Increase. Your Charisma score increases by 1.
- Draconic Feature: Wings. You have a flying speed of 30 feet. To use this speed, you cannot be wearing heavy armor.
- Draconic Feature: Wing Attack. As an action, you can beat your wings to make a gust of wind. Each creature within 10 feet of you must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 2d6 bludgeoning damage and be knocked prone. You can then fly up to 10 feet if you have any flying speed and are not wearing medium or heavy armor. The damage increases to 3d6 at 6th level, 4d6 at 11th level, and 5d6 at 16th level. After you use this trait, you cannot use it again until you complete a short or long rest.