Canid (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|A "race's compendium" race created by|
Canids are a race of dog like humanoids know for their skill at hunting. Living in nomadic groups, commonly called packs, they commonly encounter all of the major races in their travels, though dwarves are encountered rarely. Known for their leather-working abilities Canids generally trade these goods for metal items that they do not make themselves.
Canids are a proud and loyal race. A Canid will never betray or fail to come to the aid of someone that is a friend. Regardless of his situation a Canid will always hold his head high, those few cowardly or shameful Canids that exist generally live alone as outcasts. Canids enjoy games of skill and challenges to their skills. They also enjoy physical competition especially wrestling which is use to establish dominance with in each pack.
Canids can stand from 4 to 7 feet tall and rang from 125 to 250 pounds, though most are 5 and ½ feet and around 180 pounds. Most have a wolfish look to them with gray to brown fur with white markings; Canids express almost as much variation as modern dogs. Some packs even go so far as to breed selectively to achieve a distinctive appearance. Canids’ life span is similar to that of the Half-orc. The achieve maturity around 14 and live to be about 75.
Canids are on good terms with gnomes and elves. Humans are considered friends though large cities are avoided. Halflings are seen as kindred spirits. Dwarves are considered aloof and strange, but are valued for their smithing skills. Both half-elves and half-orcs are not considered separate races by Canids and are treated as what ever community they are found in.
Canids tend to be good or neutral. Due to their pack dominance life style and natural loyalty they also tend to be lawful.
Canids, being nomadic, claim no lands of their own. Generally each pack has an area that it traditionally travels in, usually over lapping other packs areas to promote trading and prevent inbreeding.
Canids revere nature and most worship Obad-Hai, those that don’t usually worship Ehlonna or Pelor.
Canids speak their own language with its own script, a type of hieroglyph system. The Canid language can be mistaken for Kobold to some one unfamiliar with either tongue.
Canids generally take a descriptive name when reaching adulthood, before that they are referred to as “son of” or “daughter of” their father. There usually is no gender distinguishing of names.
Sample Names: Graymane, Blackear, Hunter, Bearslayer, BigTail
- Type: Humanoid (Canine)
- +2 to Constitution, -2 to Charisma. Canids are tough but have primitive social structures.
- Medium: As Medium creatures Canids have no bonuses or penalties due to size.
- Canid base land speed is 30 feet.
- Color blind: A Canid cannot distinguish colors.
- Low-light vision: A Canid can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains his ability to distinguish detail under these conditions.
- Bonus Feat: Improved Grapple. Due to pack dominance challenges all Canids have the Improved Grapple feat even if they would not normally meet the prerequisites.
- +2 racial bonus on Listen checks. Canids have excellent hearing.
- +2 racial bonus on Craft checks when dealing with leather.
- Scent (Ex): This special quality allows a Canid to detect approaching enemies, sniff out hidden foes, and track by sense of smell. A Canid can identify a familiar odor as easily as a human recognizes a familiar sight. A Canid can detect opponents within 30 ft by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind this range doubles to 60 feet, likewise if downwind it halves to 15 feet. Strong scents such as smoke or rotting garbage can are detected at twice this range. Overpowering smell like skunk or troglodyte stench can be detected at triple normal range. The exact location is not determined just the fact that the scent is in range. With a move action the direction of the scent can be determined. Within 5 feet of the source a Canid can pin point the source. If the Canid has the Track feat he can track by smell making a Wisdom (or Survival) check. Typical DC of a fresh trail is 10 regardless of surface. The DC increases or decreases due to strength of scent, number of creatures, and age of trail. DC increases by 2 for each hour of age a trail has. The Canid otherwise follows the rules for the Track feat. Canids tracking by scent ignore surface conditions and visibility modifiers.
- +2 save versus illusions. Canids can pick up on the lack of or wrongness of a smell.
- Automatic Languages: Canid and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Gnoll, Gnomish, Goblin, Halfling, Orc, Sylvan. Canids can pick up many languages in their wanderings.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- LA: +1