Blade Dancer (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Blade Dancer
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Creating a Blade Dancer
- 1.3 Class Features
- 1.4 Class Features
- 1.5 Chain Blade Gauntlets
- 1.6 Offense
- 1.7 Offense Improvements (requires 7th level and previous move)
- 1.8 Defense
- 1.9 Defensive Improvements (requires 7th level)
- 1.10 Calm Before the Storm
- 1.11 Extra Attack
- 1.12 Combo Bonus
- 1.13 Rush
- 1.14 Empowered Rush
- 1.15 Final Archetype Choice
- 1.16 Infinite Combo Pool
The Blade Dancer is a fighter who fights using their custom Weapon Created from any Craftsman they know. Their fighting style typically revolves around dealing damage but sometimes there is an odd one in the group and uses their style for defense and counterattacking their Foes. Rarely do you see male Blade Dancers but sometimes you can see them wandering around, most of which being female use that to their advantage and can sometimes swindle even the most difficult and rich. Their dances are foreign and cannot be taught to those who do live their whole life to be one of the Dancers, their history shrouded from the past these people and style of fighting are extremely rare to find although their past may not be as hard to uncover as you think, the knowledge is passed on through each disciple as they learn their own style within their minds.
(If you wish to edit this page keep them minor. I am consistently tweaking and balancing this class so if you disagree with something message here first, otherwise I will delete any edits I happen to disagree with. and any questions regarding the class are always welcome)
Creating a Blade Dancer
- Quick Build
You can make a Blade Dancer quickly by following these suggestions. First, Dexterity should be your highest ability score, followed by Charisma, or Constitution. Second, Choose the Entertainer background. Third, select any available equipment you think fits best for you. This class feels best in a campaign where you flavor the way you think the attacks are made or seen, have fun coming up with how your character moves and dances through combat and any scenario alike.
As a Blade Dancer you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light, Medium
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Saving Throws: Dexterity, Constitution
Skills: Choose 3 from Acrobatics, Athletics, Deception, Insight, Performance, Persuasion, Sleight of Hand, Stealth
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- Chain Blade Gauntlets
- (a) Studded Leather Armor or (b) Scale Mail
- Four Daggers
- (a) Dungeoneer's Pack or (b) Explorer's Pack
|1st||+2||Dancer's Will, Fighting Style, Archetype||1+Dex|
|3rd||+2||Calm Before the Storm||3+Dex|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement||4+Dex|
|6th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||6+Dex|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement||8+Dex|
|9th||+4||Extra Attack x2||9+Dex|
|10th||+4||Combo bonus x1||10+Dex|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement||12+Dex|
|14th||+5||Ability Score Improvement||14+Dex|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Extra Attack x3||16+Dex|
|18th||+6||Final Archetype Choice||18+Dex|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement||19+Dex|
|20th||+6||Infinite Combo Points||Unlimited|
Chain Blade Gauntlets
The chain blade gauntlets function as normal gauntlets would, however, are slightly more bulky than per se regular leather ones or whatever you decide your gauntlets are made out of. These gauntlets are highly customizable and can be interchanged in any way you see fit. The gauntlets are originally made of leather or depending on the armor you chose to start your journey. inside of the gauntlets they are made with a complex function of gears that are attached to the chains connected to the blade. There are two ways to move your arm that either retract or extend the chain outwards, given that you can have a max of 10 ft, any longer and the weapon will not function.
If your Blade's break or maybe even the chain somehow snapping in the middle of combat, you can take time and some money to repair or maybe rebuild the blade and the chains, either with the help of a blacksmith explaining to them the construction process, or doing it yourself with whatever materials you decide to make them out of. They are easy to replace as the Blades will only cost you 5gp
These Weapons are considered Martial with the Light and Finesse Tags and has a 1D8 of damage. They count as having two weapon fighting when used as pairs, however otherwise you will need to get two weapon fighting to add your damage modifier to the attack using a bonus action
Starting at 1st level, you gain Dancer's Will that fuels certain offensive or defensive features that you are able to use against another creature as a Bonus Action. If you attack a creature you gain 1 for every attack you hit. Dancer's Will Maximum is gained Through your Level + Dex. at 20th level, you have an unlimited pool that can be stored until the end of combat and 5 minutes pass without combat in which you attack another hostile creature.
Specialty / Archetypes
There are two paths currently that you can go down for this class' Archetypes (more will be added a lot later) currently there are the Offensive focused and then there is the Defensive Bully style to fit different roles for your party.
When you choose the starting moves you start with the Bonuses either offensive or defensive. Whenever you use the moves aside from Precise Strike or Rupture you must use them at the start of your turn before any attacks are made, and after your attacks are made.
Starting at 1st level, you are able to use offensive and defensive maneuvers that cost a Bonus action to use unless specified otherwise, which are fueled by your Dancer's Will. You start knowing 2 features of your choosing from the list below and gain new Dances at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th and 18th levels. The Dance Moves features you are able to choose from are as follows:
- Accurate Strike: When you make an attack roll, you are able to spend up to your maximum available number of Dancer's Will to raise the number of your attack roll by the number of Dancer's Will expended 2 points are required for every +1 in accuracy.
- Rupture: For the cost of 1 Dancer's Will, you are able to add +1 to your attack's damage for every point spent on one attack (min. 1). Does not use your Bonus Action and must be specified before the attack is said to connect or not
- Danger Close: When you hit with an attack using 2 Dancer's Will you can pull a creature that is size Large or below 5 feet closer.
- Choker: For the cost of 1 Dancer's Will When you land an attack you may grapple the opponent causing 1/2 damage, you wrap the chain around their neck causing them to start suffocating if they need to breathe. May work from up to 10ft, the reach of your Gauntlets. Requires a strength save DC of 8 + prof + Dex to break out of the choke.
- Quick Footwork: For the cost of 3 Dancer's Will, you are able to perform the Dodge Action as a bonus action until the end of your next turn
- Parry: For the cost of 4 Dancer's Will, you are able to use your reaction to attempt an Acrobatics check, matching or beating the attack roll against an attack within 5 feet of yourself. On a successful save you take half damage and can make one attack as part of the same reaction
- Crescent Moon: For the cost of 5 Dancer's Will, when you perform the attack action, you are able to attack again, however, this is limited to once per turn and you may not add any more dancer's Will from the extra attacks given by this skill
- Chi Disruption: For the cost of 6 Dancer's Will you may attack the opponent's pressure points. They must succeed a Con DC of 8 + prof + Dex or be stunned on their next turn, can only be activated once per turn for every hostile creature. Stunned creatures automatically fail any saving throws
- Aggressive Vault: If a target creature is within 10ft of you, you Vault over the target using 9 Dancer's Will and make one attack against them, this attack does not gain any Extra Attacks
- Tempest: For the cost of 10 Dancer's Will When landing an attack on a hostile creature if they try to Move or Disengage you damage the creature as they are not blocking or dodging the torrent of attacks
Offense Improvements (requires 7th level and previous move)
- Precise Strike: When you make an attack roll, you are able to spend up to your maximum available number of Dancer's Will to raise the number of your attack roll by the number of Dancer's Will expended 2 points are required for every +2 in accuracy. Can be done during the attack roll as long as you have Dancer's will available beforehand
- Organ Rupture: When you make an attack roll and hit, you are able to spend up to your maximum available number of Dancer's Will to raise the Damage by the number of Dancer's Will expended 1 point for every +2 in Damage. May be done before or after rolling Damage as the blade struck more fatally
- Wolves Pull: For the cost of 4 Dancer's Will, when you land an attack against a creature large or smaller, you pull the creature 5 feet closer and they must succeed a Strength save DC of 8 + Proficiency + Dex or be knocked prone
- Full Moon: For the cost of 6 Dancer's Will, when you perform the attack action, you are able to attack again, Does not gain more Dancer's Will from the extra set of attacks given from this skill
- Soul Strike: For the cost of 8 Dancer's Will you may attack the opponent's pressure points. They must succeed a Con DC of 10 + prof + Dex or be paralyzed until the end of their next turn, can only be activated once per turn on each hostile creature struck by an attack, and ignores the resistance/Immunity to the Paralyzed condition.
- Vengeful Vault: For the cost of 8 Dancer's Will If a target creature is within 15ft of you, you Vault behind the target using 9 Dancer's Will and make one attack against them at Advantage
- Counter Blows: As an Action costing 10 Dancer's Will When a creature within your reach makes an attack against you and misses you may send one attack back at them until the end of your next turn
Like the Offensive class Starting at 1st level, you have access to different Defensive moves which are fueled by your Dancer's Will, Not as graceful but still works, and still with speed. You Gain Proficiency in Heavy armor and Shields when selecting this Archetype. Starting with 3 features of your choosing from the list below, and gain new Dance Moves at the 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th, 13th and 18th levels. The Dance Moves features you are able to choose from are as follows:
- Bash: if you have a shield equipped, using 1 Dancer's Will you may push back a creature 5 feet away from you if you landed an attack prior in the direction you choose
- Parry: For the cost of 3 Dancer's Will, you are able to use your reaction to attempt a dexterity saving throw of dc equal to the opponent's attack roll against a melee attack within 5 feet of yourself. On a successful save matching the attack roll, you take no damage and can push the creature up to 10 feet away in a direction of your choice
- Block: The amount of Dancer's Will spent = Amount of Damage negated, Requires a shield to be equipped and only 1/2 as effective against bludgeoning damage
- Dancing Blows: Spending 3 Dancer's Will Deal 1/2 damage while in this stance and Creatures have Disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the start of your next turn
- Tank: Spending 3 Dancer's Will, you are granted +2 AC while in this stance, and you move at 1/2 speed until the start of your next turn. Requires a Shield to be equipped
- Disengaging Vault: For the cost of 3 Dancer's will you can jump up to 10 feet away costing movement equal to the distance jumped, it does not provoke attacks of opportunity when jumping away
- Protection: For the cost of 3 Dancer's Will When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 10 feet of you, you can then move up to 5 ft in the direction of the target using your reaction to impose disadvantage on the Attack roll. Increases your AC by 1 until the start of your next turn, You must be wielding a Shield.
- Fortress: Spending 5 Dancer's Will you are granted +3 AC While using this stance, Also Your movement now becomes 0 until the start of your next turn, Requires a shield to be equipped.
Defensive Improvements (requires 7th level)
Advanced Improvements available for the defensive archetype
- Batter: if you have a shield equipped, using 4 Dancer's Will you may push back a creature 10 feet away from you if you landed an attack prior and deal a D4 of Bludgeoning damage
- Grazing Blows:The amount of Dancer's Will spent*2 = Amount of Damage negated
- Foresight: Spending 6 Dancer's Will Creatures have Disadvantage on attack rolls against you until the start of your next turn
- Advanced Tank:Spending 6 Dancer's Will, you are granted +4 AC while in this stance, and you move at 1/2 speed. Requires a Shield to be equipped
- Bastion:For the cost of 6 Dancer's Will When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 20 feet of you, you can then move up to 15 ft in the direction of the target using your reaction to impose disadvantage on the Attack roll. Increases your AC by 1 You must be wielding a Shield and you do not provoke attacks of oppurtunity.
- Moving Fortress:Spending 5 Dancer's Will you are granted +5 AC While using this stance, Also Your movement now becomes 10ft, Requires a shield to be equipped.
Choose one Fighting Style
While you are wearing armor, you gain a +1 bonus to AC.
- Great Weapon Fighting
When you roll a 1 or 2 on a damage die for an attack you make with a melee weapon that you are wielding with two hands, you can reroll the die and must use the new roll, even if the new roll is a 1 or a 2. The weapon must have the two-handed or versatile property for you to gain this benefit.
- Mariner (UA)
As long as you not wearing heavy armor or using a shield, you have a swimming speed and a climbing speed equal to your normal speed, and you gain a +1 bonus to armor class.
When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 5 feet of you, you can use your reaction to impose disadvantage on the attack roll. You must be wielding a shield.
- Tunnel Fighter (UA)
As a bonus action, you can enter a defensive stance that lasts until the start of your next turn. While in your defensive stance, you can make opportunity attacks without using your reaction, and you can use your reaction to make a melee attack against a creature that moves more than 5 feet while within your reach.
Once you reach 2nd level you can choose two of the classes proficiency and double it.
Calm Before the Storm
Starting at 3rd level using your Bonus action you may heal 3 hp for every Dancer's Will point used. Example. 3 Dancer's will used grants a recovery of 9 hp
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Beginning at 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn. The number of attacks increases to three when you reach 9th level in this class and 4 when you reach 16th
Starting at 10th level when you make an attack and hit a creature you gain two Dancer's will
At 13th level, You gain a rush of adrenaline giving yourself one more action and a potential Bonus Action. Can only be used once per short or long rest.
Increases to two rushes at 17th level, Which also allows for the use of an extra Bonus Action for both, may not use more than one rush in one turn and refreshes at the end of a Short or long rest
Final Archetype Choice
At 18th level for both Archetypes, they gain access to two final options to choose from.
- Critical Strike: Using 5 Dancer's Will you can take one attack that hit and change it into a critical
- Protective Vault:For the cost of 6 Dancer's Will, When a creature you can see attacks a target other than you that is within 10 feet you can Vault to the Hostile creature and impose Disadvantage on their next attacks, if they miss any attacks you may retaliate with your own attack
- Eye Swipe For the cost of 8 Dancer's Will, when you land a successful strike the target is considered blind until the end of their next turn
- Weak Point: Using 8 Dancer's Will you can take one attack that hit and deal double damage of what your roll was, must be stated before rolling damage
- Seduction: Using 10 dancer's will you try to seduce the target creature with your mystical dance given only to those who follow this path. Must be on the opposite Gender, and If successful the target creature becomes charmed by you and for 1 turn if within 5 feet you gain advantage on any attacks and saving throws made to that creature for the next minute. Wisdom save DC of 10 + prof + Charisma
Infinite Combo Pool
At 20th level, The amount of points you can hold are infinite but still decay at the end of a 1 hour time period where no combat has happened.