Atronarch (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
As the dawn rises and soldiers step forth onto the training field they behold a forever strange sight. A hobgoblin wielding a Great-sword with ease and clad in half-plate and with each swing of its blade a fire blot was unleashed striking its target true with ease. The soldiers trained with the strange caster till the dusk when the hobgoblin returned to the library to continue its study of the arcane arts.
Far upon a distant battlefield a goliath clad in plate stands just behind the shield line halberd at the ready seemingly waiting for some unknown signal. Then as a fireball comes rushing towards the line the goliath does the unthinkable. It pushed to the front and raised its bare hand, it stood no chance as the explosion raged against the near invisible wall of pure force the goliath created, what came next was all but expected as dozens of magic missiles rammed into the goliath. What happened next was planned, as magic surged forth through the goliath and it surged forth with unnatural speed and carved into the enemy with each strike empowered with immense force.
Deep In the dark and mysterious parts of the word a half-mad half-elf clad in half-plate bearing no weapons wanders deeper and deeper into the depths searching and seeking. Seeing with sightless eyes and hearing with deaf ears he continues into the dark with a steady step and sure hand with no torch to light his way. He steps forth into the deep of the Under Dark and beholds that which he has been seeking. Aberrations, and there are many and yet all he does is step forward and reach out and proclaim “Suffer Me Now” and they kneel to their new master.
Far above in the light of day a old and scarred Dragonborn, Scales once as silver as newly forged steel now dull grey and tarnished, marches forth against an army of chaotic demons and their dark masters, and yet he marches alone, not because he must, not because he feels that he can do it alone, but because he is an Asgardian of Fire and against an army of fire, he and his storm is all that is needed.
The Atronarch is to many simply a magical knight. Some kind of fighter that has learned to use magic like the Eldritch Knights. This is far from the truth. They are in reality magical parasites, wounds in the weave it's self, some say they came into being when the god Helm killed the goddess of magic. Others believe that ancient and eldritch gods that twist the fabric of a beings soul and nature when they come in contact with one of their artifacts turn even the most harmless of peasants into powerful atronarchs hungering for magic. Some even believe that they are some kind of long lasting side effect from the Spellplague so long ago. Regardless they are well known for their ability to remain standing and fighting long after all others have run out of magic, energy and life.
Creating a Atronarch
How did you become an Atronarch?
Were you a soldier that learned of the allure of magic, or perhaps a hopeful apprentice that lost their magic and turned to Atronarchy in desperation?
Perhaps worst of all maybe you were once an innocent that came across pure magic most raw, or an eldritch thing most horrible and found that the energy had wormed its way into you, turning you into an atronarch by force. Or perhaps you have simple found that you love that sweat silken addictive taste of the weave in its truest rawest form?
How you became as you are does not matter only the choose to give in to your new and unending addiction to magic like the parasite you are now or to rise above your new base desires and wield immense power and the responsibility that comes with it.
- Quick Build
You can make a Atronarch quickly by following these suggestions. First, intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by constitution. Second, choose the soldier background.
As a Atronarch you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Armor, Medium Armor, Heavy Armor
Weapons: Simple and martial melee weapons
Saving Throws: Constitution, Intelligence
Skills: Choose 2 from the following;Arcana, Athletics, History, Investigation, and Perception.
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Two melee martial weapons or (b) one melee martial weapon, and two melee simple weapons
- (a) chain shirt or (b) chain mail or (c) leather
- (a) scholar's pack or (b) ecplorer's pack
- (a) A musical instrument of your choice, and a spell book or (b) A social tool of your choice, and a spell book or (c) An arcane focus, and a spell book
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 5d4 x 10 in funds.
|Cantrips Knowm||Max Spell Level||Features|
|1st||+2||2||1||Battle Points, Spell Casting|
|3rd||+2||2||2||Arcane Martial Style|
|4th||+2||3||2||Ability Score Improvement|
|6th||+3||3||3||Arcane Martial Style Multiattack|
|8th||+3||4||4||Ability Score Improvement, Augmented Strike|
|10th||+4||4||5||Arcane Martial Style Augmented Mind|
|12th||+4||5||6||Ability Score Improvement|
|14th||+5||5||7||Arcane Martial Style Augmented Movement|
|16th||+5||6||8||Ability Score Improvement, Multiattack|
|18th||+6||6||9||Arcane Martial Style Augmented Reflexes|
|19th||+6||6||9||Ability Score Improvement|
Atronarchs are unlike other spellcasters, and they themselves are naturally devoid of the magical energies to properly spell cast. However, their training enables them to absorb some of the magical energies that impact them. Attaining the first level in Atronarch is this conversion to Atronarchy, and subsequent levels further train the mind and body to redirect the magical energies that impact them.
An atronarch can not derive battle points from their own spells (or other magical effects/abilities/features) under any conditions, and attempting to do so intentionally should have disastrous effects such as permanent health point loss or loss of level from which the magical effect originated. This due to the fact that you are permanently taking magic from the source that granted it to you, and as such will have other negative effects such as causing a Patron to hunt you or a church to excommunicate you.
- When you become a atronarch you loss the ability to have spell slots, regardless of number or means, I.E. you would loss all warlock/bard/cleric/paladin/wizard/sorcerer spell slots upon taking this class.
- You do however gain a number of Battle Points equal to the number and level of the spell slots you would have had otherwise after each long rest, any spell slots gained between long rests are converted during the next long rest.
- You can cast any other spells you know through other classes (and feats) using Battle Points but must still use the classes spell casting abilities.
- Other class abilities such as sorcerer points or invocations are unaffected by this effect.
You can use an arcane focus as a spellcasting focus for your wizard spells. Alternatively, while wielding a martial weapon with which you are proficient in and having one hand empty and free, you may treat the martial weapon as a spellcasting focus (it is up to DM discretion on whether two handed weapons can be used in this way).
You acquire battle points through the following means:
1: Whenever you are targeted or within the area affected by a spell or magical ability (not cast by you), you gain a battle point per spell level (you may only gain points from a spell in such a way once).
2: Whenever you are targeted or within the area affected by a monk Ki effect (not cast by you) you gain battle points equal to the half (rounded up) of the number Ki points spent in the effect (you may only gain points from a Ki source in such a way once).
3: Whenever you are targeted or within the area affected by a mystic discipline (not cast by you) you gain battle points equal to the half (rounded up) of the number psi points spent in the discipline (you may only gain points from a discipline in such a way once).
4: Whenever you are hit by a magical weapon you gain battle points equal to its + number, or can consume a magical it for double its + number (attempting to strike yourself with a magical weapon will cause you to consume it) destroying the item permanently.
5: Whenever you are hit by a magically summoned weapon you gain battle points equal to the spell level used to summon it, and dispel the weapon.
You can have a maximum number of Battle Points equal to 5 * your Atronarch Level.
You must spend battle points equal to half your level rounded up in order to perform a short rest.
You cannot perform a long rest without battle points equal to your level, but may take the 8 hour (or however long a long rest is) sleep action in order to stave of, but not undo, exhaustion.
After finishing a long rest, you lose all battle points you previously had.
After a long rest, you have a number of Battle Points equal to your Atronarch Level.
Atronarch Spell Casting Spell List
While not a true arcane caster like a wizard, you can still channel arcane energies through the use of battle points and your mind while using any martial melee weapon as a focus.
This means Atronarchs are incapable of casting through rituals.
Due to the fact they are constantly absorbing and expending massive amounts of magic they are immune to the normal side effects of high level spell casting, allowing them to cast as many high level spells as they have the points for in-between rests, this includes the ability it cast beyond the 9th level should they have the knowledge and battle points to due so. (Note: this simply allows for high level casting with out damage due to multiple castings of high level spells, this does not prevent side effects from the casting of any spell regardless of spell level.)
- At 1st level, you know two cantrips of your choice from the wizard spell list. You learn additional cantrips when you reach certain levels, as shown in the Atronarch Table.
As you have trained in the arcane arts you have learned to keep with you a spell book. At level 1 you have 4 spells written in your spellbook. Your spellbook is the repository for where your Atronarch spells are contained, however the cantrips remain safely within your mind.
Each time you gain an Atronarch level, you can add one new Atronarch spell of your choice to your spellbook for free. This spell's level must be of equal to or lesser than the maximum spell slot you can produce with your battle points.
- Copying a Spell into the book.
1: When you find a wizard spell of 1st level or higher, you can add it to your spellbook if it is of a spell level you can prepare and if you can spare the time to decipher and copy it.
2: Copying that spell into your spellbook involves reproducing the basic form of the spell, then deciphering the unique system of notation used by the wizard who wrote it. You must practice the spell until you understand the sounds or gestures required, then transcribe it into your spellbook using your own notation.
3: For each level of the spell, the process takes 4 hours and costs 100 gp. The cost represents material components you expend as you experiment with the spell to master it, as well as the fine inks you need to record it. Once you have spent this time and money, you can prepare the spell just like your other spells.
4: Replacing the book. You can copy a spell from your own spellbook into another book - for example, if you want to make a backup copy of your spellbook. This is just like copying a new spell into your spellbook, but faster and easier, since you understand your own notation and already know how to cast the spell. You need spend only 1 hour and 25 GP for each level of the copied spell.
5: If you lose your spellbook, you can use the same procedure to transcribe the spells that you have prepared into a new spellbook. Filling out the remainder of your spellbook requires you to find new spells to do so, as normal. For this reason, many atronarchs, much like wizards keep backup spellbooks in a safe place.
The book's Appearance. Your spellbook is a unique compilation of spells, with its own decorative flourishes and margin notes. It might be a plain, functional leather volume that you received as a gift from your master, a finely bound gilt-edged tome you found in an ancient library, or even a loose collection of notes scrounged together after you lost your previous spellbook in a mishap. However the spellbook must be inscribed with in a book and not on a creature or in the mind of another.
- Your list of spells includes spells from the wizard spell list (excluding rituals) and spells listed upon this document.
- Spells Known
The number of spells you can prepare is equal to your Intelligence Modifier plus half your Atronarch level rounded down.
You can choose only from the spells listed in your spellbook.
Your Spellcasting Modifier is equal to your Intelligence Modifier + your Proficiency Bonus.
Your Spell Save DC is equal to your Spellcasting Modifier + 8.
Battle Point Usage
You do not have the spell slots of traditional spellcasters. You use battle points to cast spells. Their costs are listed below, and you are restricted in what the highest level you can cast spells.
Level 1: 2 Battle Points
- level 1 spells unlocked at level 1
Level 2: 3 Battle Points
- level 2 spells unlocked at level 3
Level 3: 5 Battle Points
- level 3 spells unlocked at level 5
Level 4: 6 Battle Points
- level 4 spells unlocked at level 7
Level 5: 7 Battle Points
- level 5 spells unlocked at level 9
Level 6: 9 Battle Points
- level 6 spells unlocked at level 11
Level 7: 10 Battle Points
- level 7 spells unlocked at level 13
Level 8: 11 Battle Points
- level 8 spells unlocked at level 15
Level 9: 13 Battle Points
- level 9 spells unlocked at level 17
Level 9+: up to DM discretion, should be at least 26 Battle Points
- Spells above level 9 are unlocked at level 20
- Preparing Spells
You must have a spell prepared in order to cast it.
The Atronarch Table shows the maximum spell slot you are able to use for any given spell. You may only prepare spells that is equal to or less than that maximum spell slot size.
You prepare a spell list from your known spells you have in your spellbook. The number of spells you can prepare in your list is equal to your Intelligence Modifier plus Half your Atronarch Level, rounded down.
You can change your list of prepared spells when you finish a long rest. Preparing a new list of Atronarch spells requires time spent studying your spellbook and memorizing the incantations and gestures you must make to cast the spell: at least 1 minute per spell level for each new spell on your list.
Arcane Martial Style
At 3rd level, you chose a Arcane Martial Style. You may choose between an Asgardian, a Combat Medic, a Devastator, an Illithion, a Templar or a Vanguard, all detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd and again at 6th, 10th, 14th and 18th level.
Ability Score Increase
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
At 2nd level, you have managed to redirect the energies coursing through your veins into your armor, bolstering your defense with a powerful long term magical defense, at the cost of exclusivity.
- At 2nd level, you can spend 2 Battle Points as bonus action to magically augment your armor for 1 hours.
- When you do so, you add your intelligence modifier to your AC.
- You may consume your Augmented Armor (ending the effect) to block one melee or range attack (spell or conventional) causing it to miss/fail. (other possible ways to use this feature become possible at later levels)
(for the purposes of rules/feats this effect counts as a shield and you cannot us this feature in conjuncture with a physical shield or other magical shielding such as Armor of Agathys or Shield.)
An atronarch is not a true martial warrior and as such learn the art of Multiattack later than most, however they much like their fighter ancestors can improve this art later on.
- Starting at 6th level when you take the Attack Action, you may attack twice instead of once.
- At 16th level, you may attack three times instead of twice.
Much like the paladin's smite, you to have learned to enhance your strikes with magical energy to deal damage, however while the paladins power is both divine and diverse, yours are neither, however raw power is a strength all it's own.
At 8th level whenever you attack with your melee weapons you may choose to spend battle points to do additional damage (this must be called before the damage roll is determined).
- You may choose the damage type to be fire, cold, or lightning, or another damage type granted to you by your Arcane Martial style.
- The damage done is 1 damage die for every battle point spent, up to seven battle points unless modified by subclass, attempting to surpass this limit should result in disastrous effects for the atronarch, such as weapon destruction, failure of attack and loss of double battle points attempted to spend, any unaccounted for battle points will result in the loss of double then number of the reminder from health points.
- The size of the damage die increases per the amount of battle points spent in the Augmented Strike.
You must spend the battle points before the outcome of the attack roll is determined.
- 1-2 battle points: d6
- 3-4 battle points: d8
- 5-7 battle points: d10
(like any other ability or spell cast by yourself you cannot draw battle points from this ability even when used on yourself.)
At 10th level your mind has become quick, complicated, and nigh impenetrable to outside influences.
- Your mind cannot be read without your permission and you can refuse telepathic communication.
- You are now considered immune to the charmed, frightened and stunned conditions when imposed by a magical source/spell, nor can you be rendered incapacitated or unconscious through magical means.
- You may spend 3 battle point as a bonus action to make a saving throw to see through Enchantments or Illusions. (it is up to the DMs discretion as to how effective and to what extent ones ability to see through any Enchantment or illusion actually is when using this ability against affects without a saving throw, IE. whether use of this skill would allow you to see through an invisibility or shape changing spell is up the DM and should generally be against the spellcasters DC with the use of arcane or perception rolls.)
At 14th level your magical abilities enables you to traverse dangerous terrains and charge through enemy fortifications efficiently.
- Before you move you may use 5 battle point to mimic the spell Etherealness, as an action that expires when you stop moving, and does not return you to your point of origin.
- You may also use the dash or dodge actions as a bonus action.
At 18th level your mind becomes so attuned to the course of battle that no attack or ability cannot be anticipated and reacted to.
- Whenever you are targeted by a creature for a melee or ranged attack, you may use 1 battle point to give that creature disadvantage on their attack (this may be done any time before damage is calculated).
- Whenever you are targeted by an effect that causes you to make a saving throw you may spend 2 battle points to give yourself advantage on that saving throw (this may be done any time before damage is calculated).
- When ever you are targeted by an effect that causes you to make a saving throw (and you have already given yourself advantage on that saving throw) you may spend 3 battle points to consume your Augmented Armor against this effect, making it so that for this saving throw you instead take no damage if you succeed on the saving throw, and only half damage if you fail, but this does dispel your Augmented Armor. (this may be done any time before damage is calculated).
- This does not cost a reaction and may be done a number of times equal to your Proficiency Bonus plus your Intelligence Modifier per round provided they have the battle points for each individual Reflexes use.
At 20th level you have fully integrated your magic into your being, and your being into the weave.
- Once per long rest, when you are reduced to 0 hit points, you are instead reduced to 1 hit point. You may instantly cast any spell that requires an action to cast, that you know, without expending the necessary Battle Points.
- Whenever you are targeted by a 9th Level Spell, you know the name and effect of the spell being cast, regardless of the distance or means it is being cast.
- Once per long rest, when you are targeted by a 9th Level Spell, you may choose to make an Intelligence Saving Throw. If it is equal to or greater than the caster's Spell Save DC, the spell fails, and you gain 18 battle points.
The middle child of the new guard of the Atronarch variants, it is said that the Asgardians are born from the desire not of magical or martial mastery but from an elemental one. Asgardians dedicate themselves to a single element and wish to learn all about it and it alone. This means most are either dedicated warriors or the mentally ill and they are feared on the battlefield in equal measure, either way.
- 3-Elemental Atronarch
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you also choose an element to specialize in. You gain mastery in either Fire, Cold, or Lightning, and this mastery makes you far more capable in its singular use.
Choose a single element (Fire, Cold, or Lightning) to specialize in. This cannot be changed and is permanent. Your chosen mastery of a singular element (Fire, Cold, or Lightning) has made you far more capable in its singular use.
- You are resistant to your chosen element.
- You gain 1 battle point for every 5 points of damage you take from your chosen element (not including self infected damage).
- Whenever you make a Weapon Attack, you may choose to spend a Battle Point to change the damage type of your weapon to your chosen element.
- 6-Elemental Warrior
You have discovered new and powerful ways to use your Augmented abilities.
- While under the effect of your Augmented Armor feature, you may choose to consume it as a reaction (when taking damage) to defend yourself, and become immune to your chosen element (for that instance of damage only).
When you are making the attack (or Multiattack) action, you can forgo one of your attacks to cast an Augmented Strike that sends forth a wave of your chosen element to harm creature's of your choice. You can channel this wave in one of two ways.
You may choose to release a burst centered on yourself, any creatures of your choice within 10 feet of you must make a Constitution Saving Throw or take damage of your chosen element equal to the cast Augmented Strike's damage, taking half on a successful save.
You may also choose to release a 20 foot cone of your element. Any creatures caught in it must make a Dexterity Saving Throw or take damage of your chosen element equal to the cast Augmented Strike's damage, taking half on a successful save.
- 10-Elemental Caster
The your connection to your element has grown increasing your spell power with it.
- When casting a spell that does your elemental damage increases the damage die by one. (I.E. d4 becomes d6).
- 14-Elemental Presence
When you reach level 14, the elements you have mastered empowers you.
When using your Augmented Movement feature, you can additionally have an elemental fire follow your presence. If you move through a creature while moving, you can force that creature to make a Dexterity Saving Throw equal to your Spell Save DC. If it fails, it takes Fire Damage equal to a number of D6's equal to your proficiency bonus. It takes half damage on a successful save.
When using your Augmented Movement feature, you can permeate an aura of absolute cold in your wake. While moving, if you so choose, can leave a 10 foot radius icy surface around yourself. You may make this choice for every 5 feet of movement you move. This icy surface lasts one round. Creatures that are caught in any of the radii must make a Strength Saving Throw equal to your Spell Save DC or be Paralyzed until the ice thaws or another creatures uses an Action to pry them out. The first time a creature tries to move across the icy surface they must make a Dexterity Saving Throw or be knocked prone.
When using your Augmented Movement Feature, an electrical discharge builds as you move through the space between planes. If you choose to do so, an electrical charge pulls others around you forcefully. Creatures of your choice within 5 feet as you move must make a Constitution Saving Throw equal to your Spell Save DC. Those that fail, appear near you when you stop moving, in the nearest unoccupied space. When you stop, any creature within 15 feet must make a Constitution Saving Throw equal to your Spell Save DC. Those that fail suffer from the stunned condition for one round.
- 18-Elemental Storm of Vengeance
You have mastered your pure wraith, vengeance and element in ways even other spell casters consider supernatural and have the power to rend it into a storm of your own making.
- You can spend 13 battle points to create a modified Storm of Vengeance that deals your elemental damage type instead of its conventional damage types.
- As long as you are in the Elemental Storm of Vengeance you gain a flight speed of 360ft. and have advantage on all constitution checks.
- During the Elemental Storm of Vengeance you may charge the storm with 7 battle points to cause the storm to immediately repeat the round three effects.
- You may only summon an elemental storm once every lunar cycle.
(You do not gain battle points or healing from this storm or any of its effects as it is caused by you.)
The youngest and most noble of the new guard Atronarch variants, it is said that the calling of the combat medic is the kindest and most caring of all save that of priest hood itself. The combat medic is viewed as kind and benevolent and are almost always good with a true and inborn desire to help, that said they are still atronarchs and as such are not to be underestimated.
- 3-Chain Support
Your unique studies of magic in the heat of battle have taught you how to mimic the supportive nature of other spellcasters. You can now spread their support to others just as they have spread their support to you.
- Use battle points equal to the spells level and reaction to recast a positive spell (such as healing word or haste) that was cast on you onto a willing creature within 30 feet.
- When you are affected by an effect not caused by a spell, and the source is willing, you can spend a number of Battle Points equal to the source's proficiency bonus to duplicate the effect, either on the same targets or new targets. All targets must be willing targets of your duplicated effect.
- 6-Supportive Warrior
The demands of battle have hardened your resolve and strengthen your commitment to the aid of others. You have learned how to use arcane Magics to replicate the healing nature of divinity.
- You gain proficiency in Survival and Medicine (or double proficiency if you are already proficient).
- You may cast your Augmented Armor on another willing creature.
- 10-Emergency Supplies
Your continued pursuit of the aid of others in the heat of battle have paid off, and you know exactly when to pull into emergency reserves.
- Whenever you apply bandages to a creature during a short rest, any healing rolls done upon them always roll their
- Whenever you cast a spell or use bandages to stabilize or awaken a creature, they may immediately use hit dice as if
in a short rest.
- Chain Support range increases to 45 feet.
- You may now heal with your Augmented Strike ability (you may choose to deal no weapon damage when you do so).
Your concern is with the wounded and fallen and your ability to help them has come to reflect that.
- When acting upon a willing creature, You may carry them as a free action and do not suffer penalties for doing so.
- if you are carrying a creature that is unconscious, stunned, restrained, poisoned, petrified, paralyzed, incapacitated or frightened, they weigh nothing to you and your dash speed is doubled.
- you may only carry a creature in this way for 1 minute.
You are more than just a mere doctor or medic but a Guardian to all live under your banner.
- Whenever you act upon a friendly unconscious creature, you gain battle points equal to half of their level rounded down (once per long rest).
- Chain Support range increases to 60 feet.
- All allied creatures within a 10ft radius gains the combat medics augmented armor (if the combat medic has it active) as long as they are in the radius, and do not have a conflicting spell or shield.
There is still great debate on if the cruel and deadly devastator was the first or the second variant of the old guard atronarchs but they are without question the most powerful and magical of the Wounds of the Weave. Most atronarchs are described as magical warriors, but Devastators, they are known as martial mages and for good reason, few mages could get off three firebolts in six seconds, fewer still can do the same with fireballs that aren't fire.
- 3-Arcane Atronarch
You are no lowly modern atronarch but that of the kind that always was meant to be and your ability to consume magic reflects that.
- You gain battle points as if you were targeted by a spell whenever a spell is cast within 60 feet of you (excluding your own).
- when ever you cast a spell, you have an opportunity to recollect errant energies, Should a target succeed a saving throw, or your spell attack miss a target, you may spend a reaction to regain battle points equal to half the spell's level (rounded down), When using this feature, you can never regain more Battle Points than was spent on the initial casting.
- 6-Structure of Magic
Your understanding of the structure magic and spellcasting is deep and nuanced.
- Whenever you do the multi-attack action, you may cast a cantrip with a casting time of 1 action in place of using your weapons (you may not use this future on attacks made through two-weapon fighting but if your spell casting weapon has the light trait you may two-weapon fight to make bonus action attacks with another light weapon).
- 10-Forceful Caster
Your power is immense and your magical knowledge means you now how to amplify your spells without destabilizing them, a secret of the Devastators.
- Whenever one of your spells affects a creature, the raw power of your casting allows you to choose to do Force Damage equal to your spell attack modifier to all targets affected by a spell or cantrip, regardless of the original spell's effects or damage type.
- 14-Mana Modification
It is one thing to amplify a spell, it is another entirely to rewrite its effects without changing the structure of the spell its self, something that can only be done with both power and a deep understanding of the structure of magic and spell craft. Something you have.
- Whenever you cast a spell or cantrip, you may spend a battle point to change the damage type of a spell or cantrip.
- Whenever you cast a spell or cantrip with a saving throw, you may alter the attribute required of the saving throw by spending battle points equal to one/third the spell’s level (rounded down) or one whichever is greater.
- You are not limited in how many battle points you may spend in this way per spell or cantrip.
- 18-Impeccable Structuring
You have studied the nature of magic and the Weave its self and now have an understanding of the structure and application of spells that few mortal beings ever could hope to have.
- Whenever you do the multi-attack action, you may instead cast spells with a casting time of 1 action in place of using your weapons (same two-weapon fighting rules as before).
The oldest and most vile of the new guard of atronarchs they are often viewed much like the aberrations they consort with. Though they are, above all else, researchers and scholars, and usually law abiding individuals with little interest in violence or conflict of any kind beyond academic debate. That said, when they are called to war they do not march alone.
- 3-Eldritch Atronarch
The first step in becoming a Illithion is to change oneself a nature.
- You become (and count for the effects of race and ranger's favored enemy) an aberration regardless of your original race (you do not lose your racial bonuses however).
- Whenever you succeed on a saving throw you gain battle points equal to the saving throws DC – 13, minimum of none.
- You may spend battle points to perceive through your mind's eye alone becoming blind and deaf (and are thus immune to any eyesight or sound based phenomenon) and gain resistance to thunder damage and 60ft blind sight (but cannot see any further than 60ft) for 1 hour per battle point. This blindsight permeates through materials, but are stopped after penetrating a certain amount through materials, as listed below:
3 feet of wood or dirt 1 foot of stone 1 inch of common metal a thin sheet of lead
- 6-Illithid’s Tentacle
As you advance in power you learn now way to manifest your new eldritch nature.
You can transform your dominant arm into a tentacle, which can act as an Atronarch’s spell casting focus and as a one handed martial melee weapon with the finesse and reach properties with which you are proficient, which can turn back into your arm when it is not in use.
- When you make a melee attack with this weapon you may substitute the modifier for its hit attack bonus and damage bonus to Intelligence, instead of Strength or Dexterity.
- The tentacle does 3d6 magical bludgeoning damage.
- You are still able to to use your tentacle like a grasping limb and normal hand.
- you gain/grow additional mind's eyes allowing you to perceive everything within your eyes radius that they can see.
- 10-Eldritch Eyes
As You continue to advance in power you improve the abnormal ability to perceive through the eyes of your mind and learn to project them out into the real world.
- Your blindsight now reaches to 120ft.
- You gain the ability to create an eldritch eye within 120ft. of you/another eye for 1 battle point as an action or reaction through which you are able to see, which has the same viewing abilities as your blind sight feature.
- Any eyes created this way may be moved with a fly speed equal to your fastest speed using your movement action (which may be spread apart multiple eyes and yourself) and hide with a bonus action requiring a perception/arcane or insight to see.
- You can treat this magical eye as your space when determining the range of a spell/feature. To the outside observer, any spells cast with a range of touch show a tentacle outstretching from the eye to the target.
- Any eyes created this way lasts until the end of your next turn.
- 14-Aberration’s Kin
You learn Deep Speech and Under Common.
- Whenever an aberration with free will sees you it must make a Wisdom Saving Throw vs. your Spell Save DC. Should they fail they consider you a fellow aberration of the same kind and (provided they are not hostile to other of its own kind inherently) they will consider you an ally and will treat you as such (this may only be done to any individual aberration once per long rest).
- While an aberration is under this effect you can telepathically communicate with it. You can prevent those afflicted from attacking any creatures of your choice.
- Whenever you take psychic damage, you gain battle points equal to that damage (not including self infected damage).
- Your Augmented Strike may instead do psychic damage.
- 18-Hive Mind
You may attempt to convince any aberration that is friendly to you to bind itself to you of its own free will.
- The aberrations are controlled by you but each aberration has their own separate position in the initiative order.
- It costs you 26 battle points to bind an aberration to yourself. You must spend 13 battle points every lunar cycle (Full Moon) in order to maintain your connection to each individual aberration. This can be done anytime within the lunar cycle. The only rule is that all battle points must be invested before the end of the current lunar cycle. You gain 1d6 battle points per aberration that are a part of your hive mind. Whenever you roll for initiative for the first time, you may roll for these battle points before the combat starts during initiative. If you don’t engage in combat you may roll before your next long rest.
The youngest and most venerated of the old guard of Atronarchs it is said that the templar are the weakest of the Atronarch variants, this is said only by others, as all Atronarchs know and recognize the sheer staying power of the veteran Templar who become moving magical fortresses wielding death by the end of long battles when all others, even other Atronarchs would have fallen. Lawful and dutiful above all else they are the bane of mages and the backbone of armies.
- 3-Disruptive Atronarch
You as a templar serve but one purpose, to consume magic and disrupt those that use it.
- When you draw Battle Points from a source you may choose to make the caster make a concentration roll or the spell is disrupted.
Additionally, you can redirect magical energies to yourself.
- Whenever a spell would target a creature, object, or area, within 30 feet you can spend a Battle Point to change the target of the spell to yourself, or be centered on your person.
- 6-Enigmatic Shielding
You understanding of defensive magic and your own augmented armor has taught your a few esoteric tricks to weakening enemy spell fire, for a fireball is only dangerous if it can do damage.
- Whenever you or an ally within 30 feet takes damage from a spell, you may use your reaction to spend hit dice to reduce the damage of the caster’s spell.
- You may cast the spell silence using battle points, without needing to prepare it first, as a bonus action.
- When you are targeted by a spell you may choose to consume your Augmented Armor in order to counter spell it, this costs no battle points or reaction, the cast counter spell is considered to be of the 3rd level.
- 10-Retributive Magic
Your ability and use is to disrupt magic and your growing expertise in doing so reflects that.
- Whenever you, by feature or by spell, end the spell cast by another, you gain a number of Battle Points equal to half spell's level.
- Whenever you, by feature or by spell, begin a contest to end the spell cast by another, you have advantage on your roll.
- 14-Arcane Fortress
You are one that can both attack ones enemy as well as defend and prevent that abilities of the enemy, what can one who can do all that but a fortress.
- Whenever you take force damage, you gain battle points equal to that damage (not including self infected damage).
- Your Augmented Strike may instead do force damage.
- You gain +1 to saving throws against magic for every 5 battle points you currently have.
- You may, as a bonus action, consume battle points to restore hit die at a 3 to 1 ratio.
- 18-Distracting Aura
You are walking, killing fortress upon the battlefield how can any being possible hope to cast spell in the presences of such a force.
- Whenever a creature within 120 feet casts a spell or performs a magic based ability even if you cannot see or hear it, you know its origin and may cast Counterspell on it.
- When you successfully cast Counterspell your regain your reaction.
- Your enigmatic Shielding range increases to 120ft.
The progenitors of the guard they are as old as it comes, it was said that the first atronarchs were born from the loyal eldritch knights of Helm, others believe that they were born from strange maddening magics from old gods, either way the ancient and bloody vanguard were there, it is unknown if they were a variant at the time or if all atronarchs were called vanguards, but today they are known as masters of their magical blades and their maddening ability to draw magic from pain and suffering. That said the path of the vanguard is not a path for the weak as even the strongest of willed and minded and broken to half mad and eldritch truth seeking marital masters.
- 3-Durable Atronarch
You are the Vanguard, first one in to every battle and often the last to return, provided you return at all however your new nature and magical conditioning should provide you and edge in that regard.
- You gain 1 battle point for every 5 points of damage you take in a single instance of damage, I.E. being hit for 3 damage two times from one Multiattack from one creature in one round will not provide any battle points, but one hit dealing six damage will (not including self inflicted damage).
- When you fail a Concentration check to concentrate on a spell, you may spend a battle point to attempt the Concentration check again.
- Your hit point maximum increases by 6, and increases by 2 again whenever you gain a level in this class.
- 6-Durable Warrior
It is one thing to survive the fight it is another to thrive in it, and that you do.
- While under the effect of your Augmented Armor feature, you may as a bonus action you may partially consume your Augmented Armor to gain 1d10 + Constitution and Intelligence Modifier Temporary Hit Points.
- When you us your Augmented Armor in this way it losses 1 AC and is disbanded when you reach 0 AC bonus, at which time you may recast it.
- Temporary Hit Points gained in this way may only stack with other THPs gained in this way but they may stack.
- Whenever a creature targets another creature within 15 feet of you, or you are between the creature and its target, you may use 1 battle point to force the creature, and all other hostile creatures within a 15 ft. radius of you, to make a charisma saving throw vs. your spell save DC. Should they fail, they target you instead regardless of what they were targeting it for.
- 10-Vorpal Weapons
Your arcane capabilities have leached into the weapons you use.
- Whenever you attack using a melee weapon, your weapon ignores resistances and penetrates as though it were magical.
- You may spend 4 battle points, when you attack, to also ignore immunities for 1 round.
- 14-Magical Strength
- You now add your intelligence modifier to your attack and damage rolls. The damage added is of an elemental type of your choice. Fire, Frost, Lightning.
- Rolling greater than a target's AC + 10 counts as a critical hit.
- When performing Strength checks or Strength saving throws of any kind add your intelligence modifier.
- You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- 18-Of Magic and Steel
- You may now choose acid, force, necrotic, poison, psychic, radiant and thunder when using your Augmented Strike or your Magical Strength.
- When you use your Augmented Strike, instead of 1 damage die per battle point used, you do 2 damage die per battle point used.
When you use your Augmented Strike, you may use up to 13 battle points.
- 8 – 13 battle points: d12
If you kill a creature with your Augmented Strike, you are refunded all the battle points used during the Augmented Strike that made the killing blow, previous Augmented Strikes made the same turn via multi-attack (or any other means such as Haste) are not refunded.
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Atronarch class, you must meet these prerequisites: 13 intelligence, 13 constitution.
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Atronarch class, you gain the following proficiencies: martial melee weapons, medium armor, heavy armor. (warning all spell slots will become battle points)