Vanguard, Variant (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
|“||They say Vanguards are always the first on the field and the last to leave. The leaving part is usually in the form of a bloodied, muscle spasming, pulp, begging to go back for more.||”|
- First In, Last Out
Starting at 3rd level when you choose this subclass, you gain a +5 bonus to initiative rolls.
- Enter the Guard
Also starting at 3rd level, you can take a special maneuver that demonstrates your dedication as a vanguard. You know one vanguard maneuver of your choice from the following list. You learn one additional vanguard maneuver when you reach 10th level and again at 18th level.
At the beginning of the first round of any combat, you can use your reaction to use one of the chosen vanguard maneuvers. If you are not the first creature to take a turn during the first round, you use your reaction before the first creature takes its turn.
Some of your vanguard maneuvers require your target to make a saving throw to resist the maneuver's effects. The saving throw DC is calculated as follows:
- Vanguard maneuver save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your Strength or Dexterity modifier (your choice)
- Vanguard Maneuver: Advancing Wall. You move up to your speed in a straight line toward a hostile creature you can see, and shove it with your shield. The creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or takes bludgeoning damage equal to your fighter level, and is pushed up to 15 feet away from you if it is Large or smaller. You must be wearing medium or heavy armor and wielding a shield to use this vanguard maneuver.
- Vangurad Maneuver: Bleeding Wind. You move up to your speed in a straight line toward a hostile creature you can see, and make two weapon attacks against that creature, one with the weapon you are holding in one hand, and another with the weapon you are holding in the other hand. On each hit, the creature takes extra damage equal to half your fighter level (a minimum of 1). You must be engaging in two-weapon fighting to use this vanguard maneuver.
- Vanguard Maneuver: Crippling Volley. You make a ranged attack against any number of creatures within 10 feet of a point you can see within your weapon's range. You must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target. On hit, the target's speed is reduced by 10 feet until the end of its next turn.
- Vanguard Maneuver: Epic Advance. You move up to your speed in a straight line toward a hostile creature you can see, and make one weapon attack against that creature. On hit, the creature must succeed on a Strength saving throw or is knocked prone. You must be wielding a weapon with either two-handed or versatile property with two hands to use this vanguard maneuver.
- Rearguard's Action
At 7th level, you become adept at retreating fights and holding your stand. When a creature you can see targets you with an opportunity attack, you can use your reaction to treat the d20 roll for the attack roll as 1.
Additionally, during the first round of any combat, areas within 5 feet of you is considered as difficult terrain for creatures hostile to you.
- Vanguard's Stamina
When you reach 15th level, your experiences in battle have hardened your vitality as well as your brawns. When you finish a short rest or long rest, you can reduce your exhaustion by 1, provided that you have ingested some food and drink. Once you use this feature, you cannot use it again for 3 days.
Additionally, during the first round of any combat, your speed is increased by 10 feet until the end of your turn.
- War Haste
At 18th level, your body becomes a finely honed weapon of combat, moving at the speed of your own thoughts. During the first round of any combat, and whenever you use your Action Surge class feature, your speed is increased by 10 feet until the end of your turn.
Additionally, whenever you use your Action Surge class feature, you can use your reaction to use one of the vanguard maneuvers you know.