Tanatokus (4e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|By Joanne Chan|
A race of half demon, half mortals, shunned for their ill-begotten blood.
|Average Height: 5'0"-6'5"|
|Average Weight: 110lbs-225lbs|
|Ability Scores: +2 Charisma, +2 Dexterity and Constitution|
|Speed: 6 squares|
|Languages: Common, Abyssal|
|Skill Bonuses: +2 Intimidate, +2 Acrobatics, +2 to one other skill|
|Resistance: Choose fire, acid or cold. You resist that damage type equal to 5 plus your Con modifier. The resistance increases to 10 at 11th level and 15 at 21st level.|
|Elemental Origin: You claim ancestry from the demons of the Elemental Plains, so you are considered a elemental creature for the purpose of effects that relate to creature origin.|
|Ill Intent: You can use demon mind as an at-will power.|
Tanatoki, singular tanatokus, are half-demons. Their name derives from the Abyssal words tana, meaning "ill" and tokus, meaning "human." They are born of humans who conducted demonic rituals and mixed their blood with that of demons. As a result, they created a race of demon-touched descendants. Not only were they made physically different, but their minds were also changed to reflect that of the wailings in the Abyss.
Play an tanatokus if you want...
- To be a member of a race that is demonic.
- To be a powerful ally or enemy to those you see fit
- To be a member of a race that favors the rogue, warlock and fighter classes.
Tanatoki vary in height and weight. Their hair colors consist of silver, white, or the darker shades of any color, not like human hair colors. Their skin tones are about the same as humans, although some do tend to have a reddish tint to them. Tanatoki typically have either red or black eyes, with yellow sclera. Unlike tieflings, who have pronounced devilish ancestry, tanatoki blend in easier, which can sometimes attribute to their sinister nature. They do not have horns or tails for example, but they do sport longer nails and sharp teeth.
Playing a Tanatokus
While their blood is demonic, tanatokus have also the human property to control their own fates. They are not predisposed towards evil so much as they are just naturally more chaotic. Sitting still is draining for their stamina and they love to act without thinking. Emotions, particularly that of rage, are amplified for them, and they are very passionate. Fear comes second to them when they have something they need to do, which can make them both reckless and courageous on the battlefield. Unfortunately, this also means they are quite stubborn.
Half-demon Characteristics: Loyal, fearsome, courageous, hot-headed, impulsive.
Male Names: E'rath, Lo'thir, Sa'kar, Kur'to, Yougrendar
Female Names: Se'ra, A'li, D'ra, H'ili, Zela
Some fear their demonic heritage, while others embrace it, and ally themselves with other demonic beings. Tanatoki do not have a true place to call home save certain small havens carved out by the most affluent and influential among them. The impulsive nature, compiled with their demonic mind, makes them almost prone to trouble with other civilizations. Most simply try to hide what they are, lest they be reviled and shunned as monsters.
Three sample half-demon adventurers are described below.
- Kayle is a tanatokus Warlock that uses his powers to bring down corrupt governments and free those in bondage. He currently adventures across the land in search for such situations. Though otherwise a virtuous man, he is a wanton philanderer, almost certainly an inheritance from his mother, a Succubus. As he fights against corruption, he also struggles with this darkness inside himself, hoping to one day overcome it.
- Shandra is a tanatokus Rogue who founded a thieves guild to become an influential mover-and-shaker in the local underworld. The secret to her success as a thief? Her extensive training in stealth she received at the hands of her father, a Babau, whom she rebelled against and ran away from at the age of 18. After her heritage was discovered, she was shunned by her own guild, driven away by an angry mob. She now adventures in hopes of finding fabulous artifacts and rare items to make her rich. Then, she may prove to both herself and her so-called 'friends' that she never needed them anyway.
- Desrendar is a tanatokus fighter who fought in many Arenas. He hopes that one day the army will see past his blood red eyes, and concede that they need him in their ranks. However, as he cares more for the thrill of battle than the petty politics of the military command, he isn't holding his breath for that to happen. More than anything, he hopes to one day become an adept enough warrior to slay his Vrock father, and avenge the rape of his mother, by which he was conceived. Desrendar will move heaven and earth to see justice is served.
Tanatokus Utility Powers
When your tanatokus character gains a class utility power after 1st level, you can forgo taking a power granted to you by your class. Instead you gain a tanatokus utility power of the same level or lower.
|Demonic Form||Tanatokus Utility 2|
|You channel your demonic blood to take a more monstrous appearance.|
|Effect: Until the end of the encounter, you gain a +2 bonus to attack and damage rolls.|