Talk:Spellthief (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Things that need work with the class -needs description You have spent years betting, calculating, and playing the odds to win it big, only to lose it all on the last hand. You now have nothing left except for the skills you acquired during your time playing, your newly found skills with cards.
-deck dealer should be changed to only disadvantage with 2 handed weapons, and remove the lv 18 feature
-card barrage removed to balance out for all the options gambling now has
-card shark should be changed to 20 feet and changed to (I) and (II)
-gambling change level of options and added a bunch more
Lv.2 Root (1 point) - Make an attack roll, on a hit it deals no damage and the target makes a Wisdom saving throw to avoid having their movement speed reduced to 0 until the start of your next turn
Lv.4 Elemental cards (1 point) - You throw a card at a target, dealing an addition 1d6 cold, lightning, or fire damage of your choice on an attack with your card.
Lv.6 Card Shatter (2 Points) - You throw a card at a target, dealing normal damage. The card then explodes, dealing the same amount of damage to everyone within 5'. Sneak attack applies to the original target, but not the surrounding.
Lv.8 Healing Draw (1 Point) - You throw a card at the target, healing them for an amount equal to your Card Damage plus Spellcasting Modifier. You can use more gambling points to increase the dice used by an amount equal to points used.
Lv.10 Double Throw (2 Points) - You throw 2 cards at the same target, dealing normal damage.
Lv.12 Spell Store (5 Points) - Store a 3rd level or lower spell in a card that lasts for 1 hour. The spell is released if hits a target.
Lv.14 Doubling Down (5 Points) - Gain advantage on a roll before you see what you roll
Lv.16 Consecutive Hits (2 Points) - Activate consecutive hits, for every attack that hits the same target add 1d4 to the damage, if you miss or hit another target consecutive hits ends.
Lv.18 Extended Eye of The Cards (6 Points) - You extend eye of the cards' ability to an hour.
Lv.20 All In (20 Points) - You throw a card at the target, If it hits it deals 15d12 damage and can not deal critical damage.
- Let's look at Deck Dealer again. There's no need to penalize two-handed weapons. They do not start with proficiency with two-handed weapons, so they have disadvantage anyway. All you're doing is punishing people who want to customize their character with multiclassing or feats, which are optional mechanics anyway.
- With bonus damage, you need to be clear on what it is being applied to. As written, you get the bonus damage on any damage you inflict (weapons, spells, melee, ranged). +3 to +6 damage on all damage rolls is a huge bonus. Please compare with similar features in the PHB. Marasmusine (talk) 02:35, 24 June 2017 (MDT)
Sorry, I glazed over the bonus damage part of Deck Dealer and didn't change it from what it was previously when I went through trying to balance the class.
- I believe removing the bonus damage part of Deck Dealer and adding the Elemental cards feature above of Gambling and the respective levels for the gambling feature of the first 4 options would be more balanced in terms of doing less damage and limiting the number of times you can use the bonus damage feature.
- The rest of the gambling features can be talked about here of whether they fit with the class and if there are any possible balance issues if they are implemented.
- Also, removing the disadvantage entirely on Deck Dealer, on second thought, is a good idea compared to what it was previously and what I changed it to. Thanks for the input Marasmusine, and we will see what else needs to be done to get this class in working condition.
Added the gambling features above with a few balance changes, added multiclassing as well. Got rid of the troublesome parts of Deck Dealer and moved to level 13, added stone face at level 17. I also admit stone face and a few other features of the class may need to be toned down specifically: (card shark I, stone faced, and elusive). But besides that the class is done, but still bring up any concerns here. --Blobby383b (talk) 22:25, 24 June 2017 (MDT)
There needs to be clarification as to what the Spellcasting Modifier is now for the class. The gambling point systems mentions using them, but there's no actual mention of WHAT stat is used for that now. --Stormsworder (talk) 00:22, 27 August 2017 (MDT)