Spell Muncher (5e Subclass)
From D&D Wiki
Some Barbarians do more than chew through hit points and spare their allies of enemy aggression. Spell Munchers use a chaotic form of spellcasting to accent their rage. More experienced Spell Munchers can figuratively eat magical energy and literally gain knowledge through eating.
Like all Spell Munchers, you have an awakening when you choose this path at 3rd level: you can use magic with their blood. This takes the form of special spell slots separate from any other class's resources. To cast a Spell Muncher spell, you must expend a spell slot as usual, but you need not provide any material components that aren't consumed or have a price. Your blood takes care of that. However, you can only cast Spell Muncher spells during a rage or while you are not at your maximum hit points. You regain any expended Spell Muncher spell slots when you complete a short or long rest.
- Spells Known
You start with 4 spells known of 1st-level. At higher levels, you learn additional spells. Whenever you gain a level, you can replace one Spell Muncher spell with another of your choice of a level equal to or lower than your Spell Muncher spell slots' level. Additionally, whenever you gain an Ability Score Improvement, Persistent Rage, or Relentless Rage, you can wholly replace your Spell Muncher spells known, if you wish.
The table below shows the spell progression of the Spell Muncher.
|Barbarian Level||Spells Known||Spell Slots||Spell Slot Level|
Also at 3rd level, you gain the ability to cast spells while raging. However, you can't cast any spells of a level higher than your Spell Muncher spell slots' level in this way.
Hunger for Knowledge
While a Wizard or other scholar's hunger for knowledge is more figurative, starting at 6th level, yours is quite literal. If you eat the brain of a spellcaster within 8 hours of them dying, add any spells of 4th level or lower that that spellcaster knew or had prepared to your Spell Muncher spell list. These are Spell Muncher spells only for you. You can't add cantrips to your list in this way. When you eat the brain, you need not cook it (but you might want to).
Starting at 6th level, your prowess against other magic-users has matured to a point. You gain the ability to "eat spells," that is, consume magical energy (though you may not have the academic language to express such). You have two ways to use this ability:
- When a spell of a level equal to or lower than half your Barbarian level (rounded up) is cast from a source you can see within 60 feet of you, you can use a reaction to eat it, effectively countering it.
- When a spell effect of a level equal to or lower than half your Barbarian level (rounded up) is found to remain on a creature, object, or place, you can use an action to eat it, effectively dispelling it.
Spells countered or dispelled by this ability do not simply fade. You inherit some of their power, able to use it in the following ways:
- If the spell is one on your Spell Muncher spell list and of a level equal to or lower than your Spell Muncher spell slots, you can expend its energy to cast that spell once without expending a spell slot.
- As a bonus action, you can expend the spell's energy to add a bonus to a weapon attack roll you make equal to twice the spell's level (minimum +2).
- As a bonus action when you hit with a weapon attack, you can expend the spell's energy to add a bonus to the damage roll equal to the spell's level (minimum +1).
- As a reaction, you can expend the spell's energy to add a bonus to a saving throw you make equal to twice the spell's level (minimum +2).
- As a bonus action, you can expend the spell's energy and expend a hit die to roll that hit die + your Constitution modifier + the spell's level, regaining hit points equal to the result, up to your maximum.
Once you eat a spell, you can't do so again until you finish a long rest.
Starting at 10th level, whenever you enter a rage, you have resistance to all damage, and you regain up to one expended spell slot of a level equal to or lower than your Spell Muncher spell slots.
Starting at 14th level, whenever you eat a spell, you regain hit points equal to the spell's level. Additionally, whenever you eat, you can choose to expend a Spell Muncher spell slot. If you do, you regain the ability to use your Spell Eater feature again.
Whenever you cast a Spell Muncher spell on a creature, you can dispel a magical effect of a level lower than the spell you cast.
Spell Muncher Spell List
Here is the baseline list of spells you can learn as a Spell Muncher.
Absorb Elements, Detect Magic, Ensnaring Strike, False Life, Jump, Longstrider, Searing Smite, Thunderous Smite, Wrathful Smite
Alter Self, Branding Smite, Enhance Ability, Enlarge/Reduce, Flame Blade, Knock, Magic Weapon, Warding Wind
Blinding Smite, Elemental Weapon, Enemies Abound, Fear, Haste, Spirit Shroud, Thunder Step, Water Breathing, Water Walk
Death Ward, Fire Shield, Freedom of Movement, Polymorph, Staggering Smite