Risen, Vampire Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Society and Background
The Risen are a race of vampires that have surpassed their weaknesses to the sun. They began as one Elven vampire who ingested celestial blood. The celestial blood changed aspects of the first Risen, he found he was immune to sunlight and still retained most of his physical abilities though lacked the ability to create spawns, dominate creatures, and change his form. He also noticed a reduction in his resistances....however all of these were debts gladly paid to regain the freedom to walk in the sunlight.
Martial skill is highly prized in the Risen culture so most spend the majority of their time training or sparring. There is still however the functional side of such as smiths, merchants, or priests that are filled just not as highly revered. The Risen settle small communities, normally in heavily wooded areas due to new found love of nature and freedom of being unenclosed.
Because the Risen's life can span millenia, they are in no hurry to do anything. Their long life span gives Risen a patient perspective and allows them to take pleasure in the enduring beauty of the natural world. They spend their lives in pursuit of martial perfection. A Risen has been trained since birth to be the best warrior they can be. Due to their loathing of complacency Risen are often found to be mercenaries, adventurers, gladiators, and the like. Seldom will you find a Risen settled down as a shopkeep or any type of profession in which would require a lapse in training. Risen are a race of warriors and because of this their personality reflects the hunger for a good fight or challenge.
Risen are average height and very toned ranging in size from 4 1/2 to just over 6 feet tall as they are predominately elven. They retain the ash gray skin of the Vampire however their eyes are generally vibrant colors betraying the lifelessness their body may show and some think of when they hear "Vampire". Their bodies seem more akin to a living creature due to the angelic blood flowing through their veins and one would have to get close indeed to realize the truth of the undead creature. Because a Risen is a Vampire filled with the blood of angels they are well toned and fit as would be either of the two creatures. They possess an unearthly grace and are extremely powerful. Other races cant help but be mesmerized by the Risens beauty, their bodies are flawless and built for combat.
The Risen do not sleep due to lack of metabolism, though they may choose to enter a meditative state for as long as they choose.
Risen get along well with most races that are civilized and have not found out the truth behind their blood. Most civilizations scorn the thought of a Vampire, especially one that may strut around in broad daylight. Because Risen are attracted to beauty and strength they are seen often with warrior type races. They often search for warring nations or a civilization with an arena to jump headfirst into battle and often find a warm welcome among the soldiers or fighters of a race. They do not get along with the weaker or uncivilized races such as goblins because of their lack of competency for war. A Risen feels that one who cannot fight for themselves simply should not exist.
Risen will normally do their best to fit in with sociesty and pass as a Human or Elf. Risen can digest food, though it is unneccessary to do so. Unless actually digesting food/blood a Risen metabolism is in a form of stasis. Thus a Risen can indeed go about life as a normal human or elf in society eating, drinking, and so forth.
Any. Most are Chaotic Neutral, attracted to the freedom doin whatever they please.
Any. Risen go where they please.
Risen may choose to follow any deity however they never wear holy symbols. They try their very best to avoid holy symbols at any cost for to come in contact with one could be the end of them. Should a Risen be chosen by a deity to be their champion though not require them to wear a holy symbol, he/she would truly be a force to be reckoned with.
Common, Elven, and Celestial. +2 of players choosing due to life span, mastery of languages is a trivial task.
Risen are given a first name upon birth and retain the last name as would a human or elf.Upon coming of age, just as the elven custom, a Risen may choose a new first name for itself as a part of becoming an adult and shedding the childhood name. Middle names are bestowed according to heroic deeds or accomplishments. (i.e. Dragonslayer) -->
All Current and Future HD change to d12's.
- Risen gain Str +6, Dex +4, Con -4, Int +2, Wis +2, Cha +4
- Risen train in martial arts from a very young age and their vampire/celestial blood gives them incredible strength and speed as well as a flawless body. Risen are also quick learners. They gain the undead subtype
- Risen are medium but very powerful for their size.
- They have Powerful Build and all traits associated with trait
- base land speed is 40ft due to enhanced speed and agility of race
- Damage Reduction
- A Risen has damage reduction of 10/ Silver and Magical weapons.
- Spider Climb (Su)
- A Risen can climb sheer surfaces as though with "spider climb" spell
- Natural Armor
- Risen have Natural Armor equal to HD/2, rounded up.
- Fast Healing
- A Risen heals HD/2 points of damage each round so long as they have at least 1 hit point. If reduced to zero hit points in combat, healing stops. Once restored to at least 1 hp healing will resume.
- Blood Drain (Su)
- A Risen can suck blood from a living victim with its fangs by making a successful grapple check. If it pins the foe, it drains blood dealing 1d4 Con drain each round the victim is pinned. On each successful attack the Risen gains 5 temporary hit points that last for up to 1 hour.
- Dark Vision/ Lowlight Vision
- Risen can see perfectly out to 100 ft in pure darkness and 200ft in low light conditions
- Vampiric Nature
- +8 racial bonus on Bluff, Hide, Listen, Move Silently, Search, Sense Motive, and Spot checks
- Glacial Metabolism
- Celestial blood means a Risen does have metabolism, though it is unfathomably slow. The Risen has no need of sleep, eating, or breathing though it may choose to do these things if it so desires. A Risen is immune to fatigue, exhaustion, and ingested poison as a result and age too slowly for it to matter.
- Automatic Languages are Common, Elven, Celestial
- Bonus Languages Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, Dwarven, Draconic, Gnoll, Gnome
- Risen reach adulthood around 115 years of age. This is still considered very young by Risen standards due to the span of their lifetimes.
- If a Risen comes in contact with any form of Holy Symbol they suffer serious consequences. Fast Healing, Damage Reduction, and Spider Climb are negated. They feel weak and sluggish and therefore receive -4 to strength and dexterity. All these penalties last for 1d6 rounds after removal of holy symbol.
- Also, a Risen can only be killed by reducing hp to below zero and piercing the heart. If the heart is pierced while fast healing is negated the Risen will die. However, the Risen may be brought back if the stack or pierced object is removed and he/she is healed to the point where fast healing may resume.
- A Risen still retains many but not all of its vampire traits, though most at a lesser value.
- The LA is reduced due to the sever Achilles heel of holy symbols which are easily found in any game. A Risen may be created with no holy symbol weakness at a LA +4