Reika (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Reika are hunters of the deep. On the surface, these creatures are humanoid sharks which have somehow adapted both to land and sea. In reality, they are humans that have bred with a magical species of shark. They are usually seen just swimming around through the sea or wandering the forests near the coastline.
A typical reika stands about six feet four inches in height and weigh about 198 pounds. They share the same skin coloration and pattern as the various breeds of shark they derived from.
Despite their ferocious looks, reika get along fine with other humans. They don't seem to get along with other races. Elves in particularly have earned the reika's ire.
Reika gravitate toward chaos. They tend to be either good or evil; there are very few reika who are neutral on the good-evil axis.
A reika can thrive in just about any body of water, but they prefer the wide-open spaces of the ocean. Those who frequently interact with land-dwelling races tend to stick the coastline or other places that are near water.
Reika religion holds those gods who are most closely associated with water in highest esteem.
As amphibious creatures, reika speak both the common tongue of the surface dwellers, as well as the language of the undersea peoples. They also have the unusual ability to talk to sharks.
Seeing as they are the direct descendents of humans, reika use mostly the same kind of names humans would call themselves.
- +2 Strength +2 Constitution
- Monstrous Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Reika base land speed is 30 feet.
- A reika has a swim speed of 50 feet. He or she can move through water at his swim speed without making Swim checks. He or she has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some action or avoid a hazard. A reika can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. A reika can use the run action while swimming, provided he or she swims in a straight line.
- Amphibious: Reika can breathe both air and water.
- Low-Light Vision (Ex): A reika can see two times as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He or she retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.
- Blindsense (Ex): A reika notices and locates creatures within 20 feet, twice that when the reika is underwater. Opponents still have 100% concealment against a creature with blindsense.
- Light Sensitivity (Ex): Reika are dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Thanks to their sharp teeth, a reika may choose to deal lethal slashing or piercing damage with his or her unarmed strikes instead of nonlethal bludgeoning damage. This ability doesn't automatically confer the reika proficiency with their unarmed strikes.
- +4 racial bonus on Intimidate checks.
- +4 racial bonus on Handle Animal and Diplomacy checks when dealing with sharks. A reika may use the Handle Animal skill to rear and train sharks and are able to use the Diplomacy skill to negotiate with them.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Aquan, and a simple language that enables them to communicate on a very basic level with sharks. Bonus Languages: Any (except for secret languages, such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass reika takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
- LA +0.
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races