Monochromancer (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Light and Darkness
The road was dark…cold amidst the snowy mountain town. In the glow of Moonlight, the Night radiates its morbid and Unique light. How can a star emit the Light in the darkness?
A man had once stolen a group of teenagers from the city on the same night. the night that would have no end for the tragic man.
Running through the streets of the City, seeking protection from the night, he wandered between the cold alleys and freezing brick floors of a time long forgotten. It was in one of these alleys that his doom was presented.
The man hid, taking shelter in an alley where there was a lamp with a red glow. Fire. "Safe, finally..." - He said to himself....
A shadow moved slightly during its wave of relaxation; his instincts were screaming, "Someone there?" , but he, proudly, didn't worry about it
The Shadow appered, Becoming a thin, resilient humanoid; quickly reached his feet, arms and neck. was just starting
The Shadows grew longer and longer, Beings filled with shadows were born with Bright and Empty eyes. Despair gripped the body of the man who had stolen the young.
He tried to scream, but nothing came out of his throat. Not.A.Sound. In the blink of an eye, the lamp went out, and from that light, a unique being emerged. He was not Light. He wasn't Darkness. He wasn't even something Human.
"SSSHHHHhhhh...." - Said the Creature "This will be quick... I promise."
Catching the Moonlight, the Necrotic Energy pulsed through the man's body within seconds, tearing his flesh and his thoughts apart with shadow. Eventually, the lamp was rekindled, and with it, The Creature burned the Man with the Light provided.
"I am that which should not have been. the perfect balance.
Creating a Monochromancer
- Quick Build
You can make a Monochromancer quickly by following these suggestions. First, Wisdom should be your highest ability score, followed by Constitution. Second, choose the Sage background. Third, choose Quarterstaff, Herbalism Kit, and Priest's Pack.
As a Monochromancer you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Armor: Light Armor
Weapons: simple weapons
Tools: Herbalism Kit
Saving Throws: Constitution, Wisdom
Skills: 3 of your choice between Arcana, History, Insight, Medicine, Nature, and Religion
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
- (a) Quarterstaff or or (b) 2 Daggers
- (a) Priest's Pack or or (b) Scholar's Pack
- Herbalism Kit
- If you are using starting wealth, you have 4d4x10 gold pieces in funds.
|Features||Cantrips Known||—Spell Slots per Spell Level—|
|2nd||+2||Day and Night||2||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+2||Light Refraction Archetype||2||4||2||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|4th||+2||Ability Score Improvement||3||4||3||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|8th||+3||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||3||4||3||3||2||—||—||—||—||—|
|10th||+4||Life From the Twilight||4||4||3||3||3||2||—||—||—||—|
|12th||+4||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||4||3||3||3||2||1||—||—||—|
|13th||+5||Shadow Chain/Blooming Light||4||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||—||—|
|15th||+5||Wings of the Twilight||4||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||—|
|16th||+5||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||4||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||—|
|17th||+6||Light/Dark Unbound Derelict||5||4||3||3||3||2||1||1||1||1|
|18th||+6||Stand by The Light/Darkness||5||4||3||3||3||3||1||1||1||1|
|19th||+6||Ability Score Improvement, Ability Score Improvement||5||4||3||3||3||3||2||1||1||1|
|20th||+6||Subclass feature & Twilight Stance||5||4||3||3||3||3||2||2||1||1|
You have attuned yourself to the forces of light and darkness, and are able to control them to some degree. As an action, you can alternate between Light Stance and Dark Stance by concentrating for 6 Rounds and gain access to features depending on which Stance you are currently utilizing. You may choose a Stance during a long rest as well.
- Light Stance - Gain a bonus to healing equal to +1d4 in all Healing Spells. Also, it gives the Caster temporary hit points equal to 1d6. You gain access to your Cleric spell list.
- Dark Stance - Gain a bonus to damaging Spells equal to 1d4 of the Spell Element. You also heal yourself the bonus damage given and you gain access to your Warlock spell list.
Somehow, one way or another, you found yourself on the thin line that separates the ever-clashing forces of light and darkness. How it happened doesn't matter, but the fact remains you have obtained power only you can wield.
At 1st level, you know 2 cantrips of your choice from the Cleric and Warlock spell lists. You learn additional Cleric and Warlock cantrips of your choice at higher levels, as shown in the Cantrips Known column of the monochromancer table.
The Monochromancer table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spells of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these monochromancer spells, you must expend a spell slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.
Spells Known of 1st Level and Higher
You know three 1st level spells of your choice from the Cleric and Warlock spell list. The Spells Known column of the monochromancer table shows when you learn more monochromancer spells of your choice. Each of these spells must be of a level for which you have spell slots. Additionally, when you gain a level in this class, you can choose one of the two List of Spells you know and replace it with another spell from the Cleric or Warlock spell list, which also must be of a level for which you have spell slots.
Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your monochromancer spells, as the strength of your spells is reliant on your ability to effectively control the forces you wield. You use your Wisdom modifier whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Wisdom modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a monochromancer spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one:
- Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency modifier + your Wisdom modifier
- Spell attack modifier = your proficiency modifier + your Wisdom modifier
You can use an arcane focus or holy symbol as a spellcasting focus for your monochromancer spells.
Day and Night
The passing of time now fuels your strength. Beginning at 2nd level, you are granted certain bonuses depending on the time of day. These bonuses are constant and apply regardless of whether or not you are inside or outside. For planes that do not have a day and night cycle, this feature does nothing.
- Day - In light stance, Any ally you heal gains a +1 to the Next Ability Check, Attack roll or Saving Throw They make. In Dark Stance, Saving throws to end the effects of one of your spells increases by 3, but you deal 3 less damage with damaging spells.
- Night - In light stance, Spells that emit any type of Light have its range increased by 50%. In Dark Stance, all Spells deal 2 more damage to each target they hit
Light Refraction Archetype
At 3rd level, you choose a Way of Bending Matter. Choose between Arbiter of Light and Dark and Prismatic Void , all detailed at the end of the class description. Your choice grants you features at 3rd and again at 7th, 11th, 14th, 20th
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.
Beginning at 5th level, 2 times per Long rest, You may use your bonus action to absorb Dark or Light from your surrounding, changing your stance without requiring Concentration. This property has a range of 20 Feet.
- Absorb Light --> Changes to Light Stance
- Absorb Darkeness --> Changes to Dark Stance
At 6th level. The Veil of Twilight rises, showing The Lethal or Pure Nature of those born in this Domain.
- When in Light Stance, you can use a bonus action to increase all healing received in 1d8. A Constitution saving throw must be made (DC equals to Spell save). If failed, deals 1d4 to you and all healed allies.
- When in Dark Stance, You can use a bonus action to deal extra damage equal to 2 dices of the spell used. A Constitution saving throw must be made (DC equals to Spell save). If failed, The extra damage goes to the Caster.
The effects are further increased at 14th Level
At 9th level. The Light and The Dark answer the call of those who deserve such attention. Choose a healing and necrotic damage spell of 2nd level or lower.
- When in Light Stance, you can cast the chosen healing spell Without wasting a spell slot.
- When in Dark Stance, you can cast the chosen spell without wasting a spell slot.
This feature can be used once per Long Rest for each Stance.
The effects are further increased at 14th level
Life From the Twilight
At 10th level. The constant exposure to Light and Darkness brought the Limbo together.
You gain the ability to create unique creatures at your disposal.
When a Short or Long Rest is made, you can conjure a spirit based on which stance you made the rest.
- Light Stance: Creates a shapeless spirit that can travel up to 1 mile, identifing sources of Darkness.
- Dark Stance: Creates a shapeless spirit That can travel up to 1 mile, Identifing sources of Light.
Alternativaly, it can be used to give you temporary hitpoints equal to half the Monochromancer's level + Wisdom modifier.
Shadow Chain/Blooming Light
At 13th level. Self Improvement is the greatest difference between good hunters and bad ones. Every technique of Light and Dark is essencial for total domination.
You gain the following benefits:
- In Light Stance: As action , you can channel Light from your body and project into an ally within 30 feet. The next melee attack the target ally does against a creature provokes a Con saving throw from it. if it fails, the creature recieves the blindness status effect and it is vulnerable to radiant damage for one minute.
- In Dark Stance As an action, you can channel Shadow Chains from your body. Choose 2 allies or creatures within 90 feet of you, they must make a Dexterity saving throw or the chains will be attached to them. If a creature or an ally is damaged, the Monochromancer heals in 1d6.
This feature can be used once per Long Rest for each Stance.
Wings of the Twilight
At 15th level. In Light, Salvation. In Darkness, the End.
You gain the following offensive and defensive properties:
- In Light Stance: As a reaction , you can apply disadvantage to an attacking creature that targets you. Light Wings are manifested from your back, moving you 10 feet away from the attacking creature without provoking opportunity attacks. You gain flight speed of 10 feet and it lasts for one minute.
- In Dark Stance: As an action you can move up to 30 feet towards a creature. if you hit it, the creature makes a Charisma saving throw. If it fails, grant the creature vulnerability to damage for four rounds.
This feature can be used once per stance per Long Rest
Light/Dark Unbound Derelict
At 17th level. As an action you can teleport up to two creatures you can see within 45 feet to a Demiplane which lasts up to one minute. If anyone dies inside the Demiplane before the timer is up the remaining creatures are kicked out. Willing creatures don't need to make a saving throw but unwilling creatures must make a Charisma saving throw against the Monochromancer's spell save.
Based on the stance the Demiplane grants buffs and debuffs for those inside during their stay.
- Light Stance: All allied damage is considered radiant damage, ignoring resistance and immunity. Also, every creature takes 2d8 additional damage.
- Dark Stance: Amplify all melee damage dealt by allies in 2d8. Any spell cast by any creature is dispelled as per the Antimagic field spell.
Stand by the Light/Dark
At 18th level. You gain the following benefits:
- In Light Stance: Allies at 20% hit points or less are healed by you with an additional 3d6.
- In Dark Stance: The first time that you hit a creature with a Favored Enlightment/Darkness spell you make it exposed. Every attack roll made by your allies can crit with a 19 or a 20 when attacking that particular creature. This effect lasts for up to one minute.
Duality in Singularity
At 20th level. Light, Dark... what's the difference?
During combat, each time that you change your stance, you gain a stack of Duality. With three stacks you can access the Twilight Stance for one minute.
In Twilight Stance both spell lists can be used and you are considered using both stances at the same time.
Changing via Dark/Light Matter does not stack duality.
Arbiter of Light and Dark
- Territorial Control
At 3rd level, When a target is healed (In Light Stance) or when you cause damage to a creature (In Dark Stance), with a Bonus Action you can create a Zone of Light or Dark. This zone has a 10 feet radius, lasts for 1 minute and gives the following:
- Light Zone: Grants 1d6 temporary hit points when inside the zone
- Dark Zone: Grants a Bonus of +2 to damage rolls
The effect last for 3 rounds after you leave the zone or when the zone expires.
- Best of Both
At 7th level, You gain the following properties:
- Light Stance: Damaging spells gives an extra 1d6 necrotic damage
- Dark Stance:Damaging Spells Gives an extra 1d6 Radiant damage
Furthermore, You can create a Zone of Light and Dark with an Action. It lasts twice as long with double the radius. If you are inside the zone you augment Twilight Attunement.
- Light Stance: +1d8 Healing and 1d4 temporary hit points for 2 minutes
- Dark Stance: +1d8 Necrotic damage and heals 1d4 to the Caster
- Dawn's Domain
At 11th level, When a Zone of Light or Dark is created, allies inside the zone gain the benefits of Twilight Attunement
Also, when a enemy creature ends the turn inside a zone, the creature is affected with a penalty:
- Light Zone: Hostile creatures must make a Constitution Saving throw. if it fails, All creatures will be Frightened and vulnerable to Radiant damage dealt by the Caster
- Dark Zone: Hostile Creatures must make a Constitution Saving throw.if it fails, all creatures have -2 AC for 1 minute and are vulnerable to necrotic damage dealt by the Caster.
- Judgement of the Twilight
At 14th level, Enemies affected by Dark or Light Zone suffers from "inherent judgment" Causing the next attack dealt by you to trigger bonus effects. "inherent judgment" Lasts while the creature is inside the Zone.
- Light Zone: when a creture is affected by "inherent judgment", damaging it removes the Frightened condition and blocks healing received for the creature for 1 minutes
- Dark Zone: when a creature is affected by "inherent judgment", damaging it removes the AC penalty and causes 50% more damage to the creature for 1 minute.
- Singular Judgement
Judgement comes for all of us, there's no doubt At 20th level, Enemies affected by "inherent judgment" can be affected by an special attack, "Final Penitence". Costing Action, reaction, bonus action and movement, You can deal 10d12 damage to the target. The type of damage is affected by which Stance you are currently in:
- Light Stance: Applies Blindness and deals Radiant damage
- Dark Stance: Ignores resistances and deals Necrotic damage
- Twilight Stance: Heals half the damage and deals force damage
This feature can be used once per Long Rest and can be used again if you kill the creature with "Final Penitence".
- Evergrowing Darkness/Light
At 3rd level, You may swap between light and dark stance as a full action and consumes all of your movement. For every three of your rounds in combat you stay in one stance, you gain +2 to hit (max +8) and +2 to all healing (max +8) and damage rolls (+8). This effect ends when you cast a healing or damaging spell.
- Umbral Sheen Control
At 7th level, you gain a passive and an active.
- Light Stance: The caster can not be surprised by creatures in the dark.
- Dark Stance: If you are surprised you take half the damage.
- Light Stance: Absorb Light to increase the range of healing spells. Touch spells turn into 30 feet.
- Dark Stance: As a bonus action when you cast a spell, you make it that your next attack lowers the target's AC by one (max of two) if it hits. This effect lasts one minute.
The active features can be used a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier.
- Prismatic/Umbral Prison
At 11th level, create a prison that affects one enemy creature provoking a Dexterity saving throw against your spell save. If it fails it will be surrounded by a prismatic light or a black box (depending on the stance).
- Prismatic Light: An ally within 40 feet of the caster can make a reaction to attack the creature stuck in the prismatic light. If the attack hits or misses the creature inside the prismatic light must make a Dexterity saving throw to break free. Once the creature is out it's immune to the Prismatic Light effect for 24 hours.
- Black Box: The target is restrained for one turn. Each turn the target takes 3d10 necrotic damage, when the damage is applied the creature must make a Dexterity saving throw to get out. Once the creature is out it is immune to the Black Box for 24 hours.
This feature can e used two times per stance per long rest or when you fully stack Evergrowing Darkness/Light
- Dark Void/Radiant Light
At 14th level. The world is your domain, send them where you please. As an action you create a pulse that pushes enemies and punishes them:
- Light Stance: Creates a pulse of 30 foot radius. Hostile creatures within range make a Strength saving throw to not be pushed to center of the circle and be blinded for five rounds, otherwise nothing happens to the creature.
- Dark Stance: Creates a pulse of 30 foot radius. Hostile creatures within range make a Strength saving throw to not be pushed to center of the circle and receive two points of exhaustion for four rounds, otherwise nothing happens to the creature.
- Personal Space
At 20th level the effects of Prismatic/Umbral Prison can affect you and two other targets. When you are inside the prision you gain a bonus based on your stance:
- Light Stance: Half the damage you deal is converted to healing to a nearby ally within 60 feet of you.
- Dark Stance: All damage you deal ignores resistance and immunity and you deal additiontal 1d10 force damage.
- Twilight Stance: Causes 50% more damage and 25% of the damage is converted in self heal.
The effect lasts for one minute and resets if you kill a creature, otherwise one time per long rest.
You know all of the spells on the basic spell list and additional spells based on your subclass.
- 1st Level
<!-1st level spell list->
- 2nd Level
<!-2nd level spell list->
- 3rd Level
<!-3rd level spell list->
- 4th Level
<!-4th level spell list->
- 5th Level
<!-5th level spell list->
Prerequisites. To qualify for multiclassing into the Monocromancer class, you must meet these prerequisites: 13 Wisdom
Proficiencies. When you multiclass into the Monocromancer class, you gain the following proficiencies: None