Mermaid (3.5e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
For other variants of Merfolk, see the Disambiguation Page
|Size/Type:||Medium Humanoid (Aquatic)|
|Hit Dice:||1d8+2 (6 hp)|
|Speed:||5 ft. (1 square), swim 50 ft.|
|Armor Class:||11 (+1 Dex, touch 11, flat-footed 10|
|Attack:||Trident +2 melee (1d8+1)|
|Full Attack:||Trident +2 melee (1d8+1)|
|Space/Reach:||5 ft./5 ft.|
|Special Qualities:||Amphibious, low-light vision, Shapeshift (humanoid)|
|Saves:||Fort +4, Ref +1, Will –1|
|Abilities:||Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 16|
|Skills:||Listen +3, Spot +3, Swim +9|
|Alignment:||Good, Sometimes Neutral|
|Advancement:||By character class|
A mermaid is about 8 feet long from the top of the head to the end of the tail, and weighs about 250 pounds. Her body mass index would be on the low scale of 20, as most mermaids are extremely active—however most of her weight comes from her strong, dense tail.
Mermaids are similar to Merfolk in nature, but are less inclined to fighter classes, such as Warriors, instead preferring more magic based classes, such Sorcerers or Bards. The main difference between the two species, however, is the Mermaids' ability to Shapeshift into human form.
Mermaids speak Common and Aquan.
Mermaids usually do not carry weapons. Some, however, may use Tridents or Nets. Generally, when faced with a non-aquatic opponent, many mermaids simply drag them into the water and drown them.
Amphibious (Ex): Mermaids can breathe both air and water.
Skills: A mermaid has a +8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line.
The mermaid bard presented here had the following ability scores before racial adjustments: Str 14, Dex 12, Con 10, Int 11, Wis 9, Cha 14.
Mermaids as characters
- Dex +2, Con +2, Cha +2
- Medium size
- Type: Humanoid (Aquatic)
- Base speed 5 ft. (1 square), swim 50 ft. (+8 racial bonus on any Swim check to perform some special action or avoid a hazard. It can always choose to take 10 on a Swim check, even if distracted or endangered. It can use the run action while swimming, provided it swims in a straight line)
- +4 racial bonus in perform (Sing and Oratory)
- Special qualities: low-light vision
- Amphibious: Mermaids can breathe both air and water
- Shapeshift (humanoid): Mermaids automatically change their fish tail into a set of humanoid legs while on dry land. While in humanoid form, low-light vision is lost and a Dex -2 is applied. Mermaids will revert back to normal form when entering the water. If wet while on dry land (e.g from very heavy rainfall, waves hitting the shore etc.) roll Control Shape to resist reverting back to normal form. On a failed check, another attempt can be made on subsequent turns. A mermaid on dry land in normal form takes a Dex -4, Str -4 and must use a full-round action to move 1 square (5 ft.)
- Automatic Languages: Common and Aquan
- Favored class: bard
- Level adjustment: +1
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Creatures → CR 1/2