Machishroom, Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Machishroom personalities are often molded by those around them. This causes Machishrooms to often be very mischievous and happy at all times. They can often pride themselves on being helpful to all those in need. Other races are measured in their potential usefulness, pleasantness, and value as an ally, yet, they often hide themselves away from the other races in forests and cities built in mushroom-made groves. They share knowledge freely amongst themselves and any individual who they do not consider an enemy, but when something new is brought into a Machishroom culture, such as another race, they are often very frightened of it.
Machishrooms look like small mushrooms; with smooth, tough skin and patterned caps that can either look like anything from a Corinthian helm to a kasa. Their "skin" can be a number of shades ranging from pale blue, to perfectly white to a deep yellow. A Machishroom's head is simply a rounded, somewhat cylindrical protrusion from their shoulders. Machishrooms have nearly unnoticeable faces underneath their caps on their stalks. It is as if they have small slits as mouths and eyes, but when their eyes open, you can see their small mono-color pupils. Machishroom caps have colors ranging all over the color spectrum but are usually very faded colors.
Machishrooms, unlike their Bookshrooms cousins, tend to have bad relations with the other races. Though of all races that are acquainted with the rare Machishroom, those that are more humanoid than others tend to be much more peaceful with the Machishrooms. These races being the Elves, Humans, and Halflings, but other more battle hardy races often frighten the Machishrooms. This causes the Machishrooms to steer clear of races such as Orcs and Dwarves.
Machishrooms want the world to be a better place, but more often than not, they avoid all others and try to keep to themselves. They also are not afraid to use unsavory methods to get the job done. They have swarm tactics aswell as forest hit and run tactics they use to protect themselves. Machishrooms value freedom, life, equality, expression, and the destruction of all those who would halt the advance of progress. As such they are usually good, and often chaotic.
Machishrooms steer towards large, thick forests in which they create large groves and towns. These towns of theirs are not usually well protected, but instead well hidden deep in the brush. Throughout these cities, you would find hovels and buildings created out of leaves and other plants. There are also many elevated levels built in the cities. To navigate the elevated levels of the cities, one usually takes a hill of dirt into the trees or a sinewy ladder. Machishroom cities involve buildings that are grown from plants that are symbiotic with bio-luminescent mushrooms. The biggest of their cities have below ground sections where more buildings and residential areas are found. Markets for Machishroom cities are usually on the main ground level, therefore allowing easy access to all citishrooms.
Machishrooms were created via a mutation by a gray elf wizard now known as "The Viridian Magi" who refers to them as his "Magic Mushroom Men". He is not worshiped and is unknown to most Machishrooms other than the oldest elders of the Machishrooms. Many Machishroom religious practices revolve around the initial growth stages and development of their young, which they call "Sproutlings". Sproutlings are birthed in spore pits where Machishrooms mate. The begin growing as normal shrooms in the dirt of the spore pits and soon grow their appendages, beginning their lives as small Machishrooms. During this time, a certain group of clergy in the Machishroom communities known as the Archbishrooms take the Machilings to a school where they learn the culture of their people before their adoption.
Due to their isolation in the forest and their constant surrounding in animals Machishrooms learn to speak Primal as well as a language that they have created on their own. This Machispeech sounds like an array of cooing and 'aw'ing sounds. It is mostly based around vowels. Other races are able to learn Machispeech if they are able to get themselves accepted into Machishroom culture. Machishrooms also have the innate spell-like ability to communicate with plants.
Starting Languages: Machispeech, Common Available Languages: Primal, Elven, Sylvan
Machishroom names usually include many soft vowel sounds, but having harsh sounding letters like 'T' and 'K' at the start or end the name. Names are given once a Machiling has been adopted. Names in Machiculture are usually pieces of names from languages spoken by the parents. This causes some Machilings to have parts of Elven or Primal in their names as well as some Machispeech. Sometimes out of compromise of the parents, Machilings have up to two names as well as a nickname given by their peers in young adulthood.
Examples: Dana, Oweina, Haashi, Maddox, Nyroc, Veni
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Strength
- Humanoid (Fungal)
- Small Size: +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, –4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits 3/4 of those of Medium characters.
- Machishroom base land speed is 20 feet: Becomes 30 feet in a natural (untouched by non-natural materials).
- Bioluminescence (Ex): As a standard action, a bookshroom may emit light out to 20 feet from its cap, or extinguish it as a free action.
- Prestidigitation: A Machishroom may spontaneously cast prestidigitation. If vi has a limited number of spells vi knows, vi will always be able to cast it, and does not need to have it as a spell known. If vi prepares spells, vi may cast it using a slot prepared with a different spell.
- Fumigation Spread (Ex): Once per day, a Machishroom could spread their spores by rapidly shaking their cap, filling a 5 foot radius around them with spores. Inside the fumigated area, Machishrooms gain their movement speed bonus. Everyone inside the area can gain a +1 to all climb checks inside the spores. If left alone for 1 month there is a chance for the spores to sprout an offspring.
- Limb Regrowth (Ex): Machishrooms has the ability to regrow their limbs over time. After they gain full health they must spend half their hit die in days to regenerate limbs.
- Commune: Machishrooms have the innate ability to communicate with plants.
- Spore Poison (Ex): If something is to ingest spores from your cap they must make a DC 19 fortitude save or take 2d4 Constitution damage with 1d4 Constitution damage the next round.
- Plant Traits: Being sapient, humanoid fungi, Machishrooms have some plant traits. Spells and abilities that affect plants affect them too.
- Automatic Languages: Machispeech, Common. Bonus Languages: Primal, Elven, Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Druid
- Level Adjustment: +0
|Young Adulthood||Adulthood||Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|6 years||10 years||40 years||80 years||120 years||+3d100 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2'2"||+2d4||5 lb.||× (x3d4) lb.|
|Female||2'||+2d4||5 lb.||× (x3d4) lb.|
Characters with ranks in Knowledge (Nature) can recall knowledge of Machishrooms to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|5||It's a mushroom. maybe you could eat it?|
|10||A mushroom with seemingly odd capabilities.|
|15||A living fungi created by a powerful wizard's magic. They look like quite large mushrooms. Known as a Machishroom.|
|20||Machishrooms are a mutation product of a wizards attempt to give life to a fungus. They are a forest dwelling species not known by many.|
|25||Machishrooms are a living mutant of a mushroom fungus that used to be indigenous to Elven forests. They were created through a wizard's mishap in giving life to this fungus. They tend to steer clear of other races and live in civilizations that dwell deep in forests.|
|30||Machishrooms are a newly sprouted race of mushroom fungus created through a mutation that happened during an experiment of The Viridian Magi. This gave live to the Machishrooms after he had created his actual goal, the Bookshrooms. The Machishrooms originated as a small tribe of Bookshrooms that overtime evolved into a different race with a different way of life. They live in hidden groves deep within Elven forests.|
Machishrooms that are tasked with protecting their home often practice fighting with their bodies to ready themselves for combat. They are able to use their heads and fists as natural weapons. They only have the ability to use one natural attack in place of their standard action.
Cap-Smash (Head Attack)- 1d6 Wallop (Punching attack)- 1d3