Lizardfolk, Duneswift (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Dune Swift Lizardfolk
Dwelling in the sandy wastes of the Jari desert, dune swifts have learned to become survivalists. Though their blue scaled bodies, speckled with black and yellow stripes, do little to hide them in the desert, these lizardfolk are capable of outlasting almost any prey they track across the dunes. In addition, creatures wounded by their venomous bite or poison-coated weapons tend to succumb to the heat very quickly. Nomadic in nature, dune swifts will occasionally setup trading posts near other settlements to barter with the valuable or unusual items they have discovered in their journeys through the deep desert.
A Duneswift stands from five to six-and-a-half feet tall. Blue and yellow scales cover the duneswift entirely, save two rows of black scales running down their backs. Every Duneswift has a Gila Monster like head, right down to the hundreds of small teeth lining the jaws. The eyes are always either dark blue or black. A somewhat long, thick neck connects the head to the somewhat stocky body. Long digits extend from the hands and feet. A flexible, black-ringed tail extends from the back roughly four feet back. Short spines extend up the arms and legs, as well as down the back and under the eyes. Between the spines is a thin membrane which helps the Duneswift control its body temperature.
Duneswift are usually wary of travelers if nothing else. They believe that it's best to just keep to themselves, and that has served them well. But they are not above trading or assisting passersby.
Duneswift usually stick to alignments with at least one Neutral aspect. Very few are evil.
Duneswift live in the desert. Most live in underground caves, where the temperature is cooler, but nomadic tribes are not uncommon.
Most Duneswift Lizardfolk worship gods of the desert.
Duneswift always speak Draconic and many also know Common and Terran.
Lizardfolk names are invariably Draconic nouns.
Dune swift lizardfolk have the following racial traits:
- Type: Humanoid (Reptilian)
- Ability Score Adjustments: +2 Constitution, +2 Dexterity, -2 Intelligence
- Size: Medium
- Speed: Base land speed is 30 feet.
- Natural Armor: A dune swifts scaly skin provides it with a +3 natural armor bonus to its Armor Class.
- Tail: A dune swift's tail gives it exceptional balance, granting a +4 racial bonus on all Balance and Jump checks.
- Heat Endurance: Dune swifts' receive a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves made to resist the effects of hot weather.
- Desert Stride: The long, splayed toes of a dune swift allow them to ignore penalties for difficult terrain when the condition is due to sand. Also, they may use their full overland movement rate when travelling through desert environments.
- Awkward Build: Due to their tails and bumpy, scaly bodies, dune swifts must have armor custom made at an increased cost of 50% (including the cost of masterwork armor.)
- Languages: Common and Draconic. Bonus languages: Terran, Gnoll and Orcish.
- Favored Class: Dune Swift, Ranger, Cleric
Hit Die: d8
|Duneswift Racial Class|
|1||+0||+0||+2||+0||Natural Weapons, +1 Natural Armor, Save Bonus||+1 Ranger or Cleric|
|2||+1||+0||+3||+0||Sprint, Electricity Resistance 2||+1 Ranger or Cleric|
|3||+2||+1||+3||+1||+1 Natural Armor, Poison||+1 Ranger or Cleric|
|4||+3||+1||+4||+1||+2 Con, Electricity Resistance 5||+1 Ranger or Cleric|
Skill points at 1st Character level: (2 + Int bonus) x 4
Skill points at higher levels: 2 + Int bonus
Class Skills: Balance (Dex), Jump (Str), Move Silently (Dex), Search (Int), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis)
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Lizardfolk are proficient with all simple weapons and shields.
- Natural Weapons: A 1st level lizardfolk can attack with its natural weapons, 2 claws (1d4) and a bite (1d4) as a secondary attack. The lizardfolk also qualifies for the multi-attack feat.
- Save Bonus: Accustomed to identifying desert mirages, dune swifts receive a +2 racial bonus on saves against spells and abilities of the illusion school of magic.
- Sprint: Once per day, a dune swift may tap into his adrenaline for a boost in speed, adding a +20 bonus to his base movement and gaining a +2 bonus to Dexterity. This condition lasts a number of rounds equal to 3 + Con Bonus. At the end of the sprint, the dune swift becomes fatigued for the duration of the current encounter.
- Electricity Resistance: Dune swifts develop a resistance to electricity at 2nd level which increases again at 4th.
- Poison: At third level, dune swifts may deliver poison along with their bite attack damage, if they choose. The poison causes 1d3/1d3 Constitution damage on a failed save, which has a DC of 10 + 1/2 Racial Hit Dice + Con bonus of the lizardfolk. As a standard action, a dune swift may envenom a piercing or slashing weapon with his spittle. The poison remains potent on the weapon for 10 rounds, and the lizardfolk are able to handle their own venom without risk. The dune swift can produce 3 + Con bonus doses of poison a day.
- Ability Score Increase: At 4th level, a dune swift increases its Constitution score by 2 points. This is a permanent ability improvement.
Duneswift Lizardfolk Campaign Setting Options
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||4’ 10”||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Female||4’ 10”||+2d8||110 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|