Living Spell (4e Creature)
From D&D Wiki
During eras of great conflict involving spellcasters, magical energies occasionally took on sentience and refused to dissipate. These living spells still haunt places blasted by magic, apparently subsisting on ambient magical energy. They seem to kill only for pleasure, not out of any need to feed.
A living spell appears similar to a normal spell effect, writhing and moving with definite purpose.
Living Phantom Bolt
Living Prismatic Mirror
Living Chaos Tactics
The living chaos is mindless, and simply rolls towards the nearest living thing with a preference to those of lawful alignment. It will engulf what it can before resorting to slams. It will use its first action points as early as possible, using fate's chaos as appropriate, and wait until it has recharged before using its second action point. It will use chaos echoes to react against the first use of a daily attack power, or against any attack if it is already bloodied.
Creating a Living Spell
Here are some rough guidelines for creating a living spell. Some finesse will be required to capture the particular flavour of your chosen spell.
- Select an arcane class attack power to base your spell on. If the spell is an encounter or daily power, your living spell is of the same level. Living spells based on at-will powers can be 1st, 11th or 21st level.
- A living spell is of natural origin and has the magical beast type.
- It is blind, and has blindsight 10
- It has the blind and ooze keywords.
- It has immunities to being blinded and gaze effects
- If the spell has damage type keywords, the living spell has resistance against those damage types.
- Size and Resistance depends on its level
- Level 1 - 10: Medium size, resist 5
- Level 11 - 20: Large size, resist 10
- Level 21 - 30: Huge size, resist 20
- Speed depends on the power's range. They also have a climb speed of 4.
- Close or Ranged 5: Speed 4
- Ranged 10: Speed 5
- Ranged 20: Speed 6
- Role will usually be brute, but this can be changed to another role at your judgement depending on the theme of the spell.
- Secondary role depends on the type of power:
- At-will powers are standard monsters
- Encounter powers are elite monsters, and therefore have +2 to saving throws and 1 action point.
- Daily powers are solo monsters, and therefore have +5 to saving throws and 2 action points.
- Ability scores are standard for its role and level, except Intelligence and Charisma which are both 1.
- It has the following trait:
- Ooze; While squeezing, the ooze moves at full speed rather than half speed, it doesn't take the -5 penalty to attack rolls, and it doesn't grant combat advantage for squeezing.
- It has the following standard actions:
- Slam - this is an at-will melee 1 basic attack with all the properties of the spell except range.
- Engulf - this is an at-will melee 1 against one creature, vs. Reflex. On a hit, the living spell grabs the target (escape DC is Medium for that level). Until the grab ends, the target is dazed and suffers ongoing damage of the same type as one of spell's damage types (5 at levels 1 to 4; 10 at levels 5 to 14; 15 at levels 15 to 24; 20 at levels 25 to 30). When the living spell moves, it pulls with it any creature grabbed by it, and the creature remains grabbed and within the living spell's space. This movement does not provoke opportunity attacks by the grabbed creature. Medium living spells can engulf one creature. Large can engulf two creatures. Huge can engulf four creatures.
- Add other powers: For Elites, select one Utility spell of its level or lower; for Solos, select two. Implement these as an action, aura or trait as you see fit. Give powers based on encounter spells a Recharge; whereas daily spells become Encounter powers. Having one effect trigger when the living spell becomes bloodied is a way of keeping a battle dynamic.
- Living spells have no equipment, are of unaligned alignment and have no languages.
Back to Main Page → 4e Homebrew → Creatures → Level 1
Back to Main Page → 4e Homebrew → Creatures → Level 13
Back to Main Page → 4e Homebrew → Creatures → Level 25