Kappa, variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Kappas are turtle-folk who live in underground waterways. They are master craftsman, but tend to keep far away from people.
Kappas tend to be shy, skittish, and soft-spoken. Kappas spend most of their time tinkering and building all sorts of crafts in the kappa villages in which they live. Kappas tend to shy away from others, except when trading goods and services with the Tengu.
Kappas are small creatures, roughly three-and-a-half to four feet tall, with little distinction between genders. They are mostly humanoid except for their turtle shells on their back. Kappa males tend to have short black hair and a large bald spot on top, while females have hair ranging from green to blue of many lengths. There is little other distinctions of Kappas between humans and between genders.
Being a reclusive people, Kappas often only associate with the Tengu, for which the two races share a mutual coexistence. The Kappas supply the Tengu with impressive weapons and armours, and in return, the Tengu provide safety and Security to the secrecy of the Kappa village by proximity. Most races they are friendly, but uneasy towards when confronted. If one manages to earn a kappa's trust, that trust is hard to break.
Although Kappas shun human society, and try to avoid it as much as possible, they are not heartless. Kappas tend to be good natured, and so tend toward Good alignment. Kappas are also free spirits, always tinkering with something to try and make it better, constantly changing everything. To this end they are most often Chaotic.
Kappas live in spacious mountain caves with running water. From this point of relative seclusion, the Kappas build their villages, often in proximity to a Tengu village higher up the mountain, at which point the two races interact and trade, providing mutual support. These villages invariably have all sorts of gadgets laying around, from the small and entertaining puzzle to powerful machines and golems.
Kappas follow the traditional Animistic views of the time.
Kappas speak Common.
Kappa names often are an embodiement of water or colors resembling it. Others have names that mirror the Kappas' crafting skills
Male Names: Aoi, Arata, Atsushi, Hideki, Kazuhiro, Manabu, Michi, Shin, Susumu, Takayuki, Takumi, Toshi, Toshiyuki, Tsutomu, Yoshikazu, Yutaka.
Female names: Ai, Akemi, Aoi, Hiro, Hiroko, Hiromi, Izumi, Kame, Kasumi, Masuyo, Mayumi, Michi, Ren, Sango, Sayuri, Shinju, Tomiko, Toshiko, Yuko.
- -2 Strength, +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma: Kappas are not very strong, but tend to be hardy folk. Likewise, their mechanical knowledge is the stuff of legend, but they tend to be socially awkward.
- Monstrous Humanoid (aquatic): Kappa are turtle-folk who spend their days in and around water. They can breathe in both air and water equally well.
- Small: Kappas gain a +4 size bonus to hide checks, and a -4 penalty on grapple checks.
- Kappa base land speed is 20 feet: Kappas also gain a Swim speed of 50 feet.
- +4 racial bonus on all Craft and Appraise checks: Kappas are masters of artisanry and craftsmanship of any form, and they know how to judge other's works accordingly.
- Automatic Languages: common. Bonus Languages: Any (except secret languages).
- Favored Class: Rogue.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|60 years||100 years||140 years||+3d10 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3' 4"||+1d12||45 lb.||× (1) lb.|
|Female||3' 4"||+1d12||45 lb.||× (1) lb.|