Hugger (D20 Modern Creature)
From D&D Wiki
Created by: Dracomortis
Originally created by a deranged cult posing as a series of mental institutions, the hugger is designed to capture victims dubbed “a danger to themselves” and transport them to a pre-specified location (usually with the help of a jailer), generally one of the organization’s remote “treatment” facilities, where they are undoubtedly subjected to cruel experiments.
A hugger resembles a typical straight jacket, a white coat with various straps and buckles designed to secure a mentally unstable patient and prevent them from hurting themselves and others. Employed in mental institutes and state penitentiaries, a straight jacket would seem out of place out on the streets; a fact the hugger takes advantage of. It will position itself somewhere where the intended victim will spot it, usually just off a busy sidewalk or street, waiting for the passerby to come closer to investigate. When the creature is close enough, it springs to life, quickly engulfing the hapless victim and forcing them into itself.
Huggers do not speak. They weigh about 10 pounds.
Huggers have the following traits:
- Construct: Huggers are immune to mind-influencing effects, as well as poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, disease, necromancy effects, and any effect that requires a Fortitude save unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless. They are not subject to critical hits, nonlethal damage, ability damage, ability drain, energy drain, or the effects of massive damage.
- Constrict (Ex): A hugger deals 1d8+4 points of nonlethal damage with a successful grapple check.
- Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a hugger must hit a creature of any size with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can attempt to constrict the opponent in the following round.
- Skill Bonuses: Huggers have a +8 species bonus on Disguise and Hide checks.
- Hugger: CR 2; Medium construct; HD 2d10; hp 11; Mas -; Init +4; Spd 30 ft.; Defense 15, touch 14, flat-footed 11 (+4 Dex, +1 natural); BAB +1; Grap +9; Atk +5 melee (1d4+6, slam); Full Atk +5 melee (1d4+6, slam); FS 5 ft. by 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.; SQ construct, constrict, improved grab darkvision 60 ft.; AL none; SV Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +0; Rep +0; Str 18, Dex 19, Con -, Int -, Wis 10, Cha 1.
- Skills: Disguise +3, Hide +12.
- Feats: Improved Grapple(B).
- Possessions: None.
- Advancement: 3-6 HD (Medium).
Back to Main Page → D20 Modern → Creatures