Hellwasp Swarm (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A single hellwasp resembles a thumb-sized normal wasp, except its carapace is gleaming black with ruby-red stripes, and its compound eyes are an iridescent green. In swarms, hellwasps form a collective hive mind intelligence with infernal cunning and bloodlust.
Many races find hellwasp swarms disgusting.
Chaotic Neutral or Chaotic Evil
None. Hellwasp swarms are aetheist.
Common, Infernal, Abyssal, and Ignan
Swarms do not have names.
- +6 Dex, +2 Int, -4 Str, -4 Cha
- Outsider (Swarm)
- Diminutive (Swarm.) In order to attack, a single swarm moves into opponents’ spaces, which provokes an attack of opportunity. It can occupy the same space as a creature of any size, since it crawls all over its prey, but remains a creature with a 5-foot space. Hellwasp swarm rouges are considered to be flanking while in an opponent's space.
- Hellwasp Swarm: base land speed 5 ft, fly 50 ft.
- Initiative +4
- 2 bonus feats due to their monstrous humanoid levels
- A hellwasp swarm deals 1d6 damage on a sucessful attack. It's poison is Injury 1d6/1d6 Dex
- Distraction (Ex): Any living creature that begins its turn with a hellwasp swarm in its space must succeed on a DC 18 Fortitude save or be nauseated for 1 round. The save DC is Constitution-based.
- Inhabit (Ex): A hellwasp swarm can enter the body of a helpless or dead creature by crawling into its mouth and other orifices. Inhabiting requires 1 minute, and the victim must be Small, Medium, or Large (although four swarms working together can inhabit a Huge creature). The swarm can abandon the body at any time, although doing this takes 1 full round. Any attack against the host deals half damage to the hellwasp swarm as well, although the swarm’s resistances and immunities may negate some or all of this damage.
If a hellwasp swarm inhabits a dead body, it can restore animation to the creature and control its movements, effectively transforming it into a zombie of the appropriate size for as long as the swarm remains inside. If a hellwasp swarm inhabits a living victim, it can neutralize the effects of its own poison and control the victim’s movement and actions as if using dominate monster on the victim.
A hellwasp-inhabited creature can be relatively easy to spot, since its skin crawls with the forms of insects inside. The swarm is intelligent enough to attempt to hide beneath loose clothing or a large cloak to keep its presence from being detected, and some extra intellignt specimens have gotten good at disguising. The swarm can attempt a Disguise check to conceal its inhabitation of a host, with a –4 penalty if currently inhabiting a Small host.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Infernal, Abyssal, Ignan Bonus Languages: Any
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +4