Gnomes, Grey (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Grey gnomes love to learn about the world around them, and they strive to test their skills against challenging foes and puzzles. While they are a little less mischievous than rock gnomes, their closest relatives, they share their adoration of jokes and riddles; this benevolent humour makes them very easygoing conversationalists. Grey gnomes are also very fond of animals, in particular birds, with whom they can communicate naturally, and often great friendships are born of this ability.
Grey gnomes stand about 2-1/2 to 3 feet tall and weigh between 35 and 40 pounds. They tend to be pale-skinned and silver-haired, and their eyes are stormy grey. Most males have long, flowing, well-groomed beards. They generally wear long, plain robes that match the colour of their hair and eyes, and they rarely wear jewellery. Though they mature at the same rate as rock gnomes, they live much longer: on average around 500 years. Some live as old as 700 or 800, often these ancient individuals become leaders among their people.
On the whole, grey gnomes get along excellently with members of all the common races, although some are a little wary of half-orcs due to their monstrous lineage. In particular, they associate with rock gnomes and forest gnomes, with whom they often trade. Like all gnomes, they detest kobolds, giants, and goblinoids, although very occasionally they form truces with friendlier giants that dwell in their territory.
Almost all grey gnomes are good, and they prefer neutrality over law or chaos because of their link with the natural world. Good grey gnomes act as protectors to all that is good. Evil grey gnomes use their natural friendly attitude to manipulate and control others.
Grey gnomes make their burrows in hills and meadows with forests nearby. While they are more studious than rock gnomes, they usually study outside, meaning they retain their connection with the outdoors. Their homes are not hidden, however they are often protected with powerful magic and devious traps. While they frequently travel, they rarely settle in occupied land, and they always return home eventually.
Unlike other gnomes, grey gnomes most frequently worship Pelor (god of the sun) or Ehlonna (goddess of the woodlands). In grey gnome settlements, prayers are performed once per day in fields or clearings, and although the practice is voluntary, the entire community almost invariably takes part.
Grey gnomes speak gnome, of course, but they also know a simple language which allows them to communicate with most birds. This language is not taught, it is inherently known to grey gnomes, meaning they can speak it from birth. Almost all grey gnomes speak common as well.
Grey gnomes acquire names in the same manner as rock gnomes, although grey gnome adventurers usually choose just one name by which they can be identified.
- -2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom: Grey gnomes are less resilient than rock gnomes, but they are clever and wise compared to their mundane cousins.
- Humanoid (Gnome): Grey gnomes are closely related to all gnomes, although they share little in common with Svirfneblin.
- Small: As a Small creature, a grey gnome gains a +1 size bonus to AC, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Grey gnome base land speed is 20 feet.
- Darkvision: 60 feet (Ex): Sharing their heritage with Rock Gnomes and Deep Gnomes, Grey Gnomes have eyes adapted well to see in areas with no light sources.
- +2 racial bonus on saving throws against illusions and evocations: Grey gnomes are taught how to detect illusions and dodge evocation spells from an early age.
- Add +1 to the DC for all saving throws against illusion and evocation spells cast by grey gnomes. This bonus stacks with those from similar effects, such as that granted by the Spell Focus feat.
- Spell-Like Ability: 1/day—light, mage hand, prestidigitation. Caster level is 1st. The save DC is Intelligence-based.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome, and a simple language that allows them to communicate with Tiny or smaller birds. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Giant, Goblin, Orc and Sylvan.
- Favored Class: Wizard.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|100 years||150 years||200 years||+6d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||2' 6"||+2d4||35 lb.||× 1 lb.|
|Female||2' 4"||+2d4||30 lb.||× 1 lb.|