Dragonbound Rider, Variant (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Dragonbound Rider, Variant
A rider and his dragon are an amazing team. They are rarely seen in the world and because of their power they are a rule onto themselves. Because of this they will turn the tide of battle and change the world in ways no one can foresee.
Making a Dragonbound Rider, Variant
Main Stats: Strength and Constitution are the most important. Wisdom is important as well when it comes to your spells.
Race: Any and through the bond the riders life span increases to match that of the dragon.
Allignment: Both Dragon and Rider have to share either Good, Neutral, or Evil. (example Rider: Chaotic Good Dragon: Lawful Good)
- Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d12 per Dragon Rider level
Hit Points at 1st Level: + Constitution modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d12 (or 9) + Constitution modifier per Dragon Rider level after 1st
Equipment and Proficiencies
Armor: Light, Medium, Heavy, Shields
Weapons: Simple weapons, Martial weapons
Starting Gold: 5d20x3+300gp.
|Saving Throws||Special||Spells per Day|
|1st||+1||+2||+2||+0||Dragonbound Mount, Dragon Armor, Telepathic link||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|3rd||+3||+3||+3||+1||Accelerated Growth, Impressive specimen||6||5||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|5th||+5||+4||+4||+1||Dragon Resistances, Mind Assault||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|6th||+6/+1||+5||+5||+2||Dragon Skills, Dragon Senses||6||6||5||3||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|7th||+7/+2||+5||+5||+2||Dragon weapon, Dragonriding||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|11th||+11/+6/+1||+7||+7||+3||Immunity to Fear||6||6||6||6||6||4||—||—||—||—|
Class Skills (6 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
All of the following are class features of the Dragonbound rider.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency:
- Dragonbound Riders are proficient with simple and martial weapons and with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with shields (except tower shields).
- A Dragonbound rider is only half of himself without his dragon companion. At first level, the Dragonbound rider is granted a dragon that serves as his companion and ally. The Dragonbound rider may choose any type of dragon he wishes, but the dragon must start out as wyrmling. Once a bond is formed between the two creatures, their binding is final; a Dragonbound rider may not receive another dragon.
- A Dragonbound Rider can fashion armor and shield for himself from the discarded scales of his mount, gathering GP worth of scales per day equal to his dragon's HD. This is appropriate Dragonscale equipment that does not require the skinning of a live Dragon. While the Dragon Rider is using it, this Dragonscale equipment has Damage Resistance 1 (increasing by 1 for every 5 HD the dragon has), and natural resistance to the dragons' element. While wearing the Dragonscale armor it does not take the arcane spell fail penalty.
- A dragonbound rider is able to communicate telepathically with his dragon. As their bound grows stronger the range that they can communicate increases. It increases at a range of 100 m per level. A rider can also communicate telepathically with other riders. At level 4 the rider learns that he can communicate telepathically with other creatures around him. If the creature have no ability to do so the rider will instead get a sense of their drives and can make suggestions to them. The creature has to do a will save to resist the suggestion is 10 + the dragonbound rider’s level + Charisma modifier. At level 7 the bond between the rider and their dragon has become so strong that range no longer is a factor for them to communicate.
Spell: A Dragonbound Rider casts arcane spells which are drawn primarily from the sorcerer/wizard spell list. He can cast any spell he knows without preparing it ahead of time, rather than the way a wizard or a cleric must.
To learn or cast a spell, a dragonbound rider must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty for a saving throw against a Dragonbound Rider’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the dragonbound rider’s Wisdom modifier.
A Dragonbound Rider’s selection of spells is extremely limited. At 2nd level He knowing five 0-level spells (also called cantrips) and three 1st-level spells of your choice. At each new dragonbound rider level, he gains one or more new spells, as indicated on Table
- The bond between rider and dragon gives the dragon increased vitality. At levels 3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23 the dragon gains 1/10th of the health that it's rider has. This is calculated after the rider has finished applying any ability points and increasing their health from leveling up.
- Being tied to a Dragonbound rider causes changes in a dragon's maturation. starting at 3rd level, and every other level after(3,5,7,9,11,13,15,17,19,21,23...) the dragon advances one age catagory,his companion immediately grows to that age, in both body and mind. Because of this the dragons age is averaged with that of the dragon riders age as if they were one creature.
- At levels 4,9,14,18, you may choose one extra feat. it can be any feat you meet the prerequisite requirements for except spellcasting feats.
- Whatever a Dragonbound rider does with her life, the special skills of her Dragon Mount's race are class skills for her, and she gains a +3 bonus on them.
- A Dragonbound rider is naturally resilient to whatever it is that her dragon breathes. She gains Energy Resistance equal to her Base Attack Bonus to that energy type.>
- Because of the Dragonbound Rider's growing telepathic abilities he learns how to read the minds of people around him. Unless they have some telepathic abilities themselves they do not know that you are in their minds. Now that the Dragonbound Rider has the ability to read the minds of those around him, he can also make an assault on their minds. The mind assault is a will save. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw the person or creature has to make is against the Dragonbound Rider’s mind assault 10 + the spell level + the dragonbound rider’s Wisdom modifier
- A 6th level Dragonbound rider has Blindsight out to 30', as well as Darkvision out to 60' and Low-light Vision.
- A Dragonbound rider may add his class level as a bonus to any Ride checks made in conjunction with riding a dragon. Also, any dragon ridden by a Dragonbound rider enjoys maneuverability of one grade better than normal (but no better than average maneuverability).
- The dragonbound rider is able to focus the elemental force of the dragon into his attack once every 1d4 rounds, causing +4d6 damage of the dragon mounts energy type, progressively getting more powerful by 1d6 every 2 levels(lvl9=5d6, lvl11=6d6, lvl13=7d6 lvl15=8d6...). Size of cone at lvl7 is 9m and it will continue to rise by 2m every 3 levels.
- At 8th level, a Dragonbound rider has become one with his mount, and is no longer made to take Ride checks outside of combat. In combat, the Dragonbound rider gets an additional +10 competency bonus to Ride checks on his dragon, and may take a standard action to grant his dragon an extra move action that turn.
Immunity to Fear:
- By training with such ferocious creatures, Dragonbound rider have developed a superior sense of bravery, and are immune to all types of Fear.
- At 13th level, a Dragonbound rider gains immunity to whatever energy type his Dragon Mount breathes. Also, he has +10 to any roll against Sleep, Paralysis and Aging.
- The Dragonbound rider can speak telepathically to any Dragonkind creature within 200ft. The Dragonkind will understand whatever the Dragonbound rider says to it. The Dragonbound rider has a +5 to all checks involving Dragonkind. The range increases to 400ft at level 18, and 800ft at level 20.
- At 20th level, the Dragonbound rider has enough innate knowledge of their Dragonbound mounts to develop learn one of their dragon's Abilities. The Dragonbound Rider can choose any of the abilities unless it is already known.
When the rider dies his dragon will as well, but if the dragon dies the rider could live on. In case of the rider if the dragon dies the rider loses half of his health and all of his dragonbound rider levels. The rider must make a will save of 20 or higher to not go insane in the event that his dragon dies. If they get below 25, they live out the rest of their lives in solitude, never again interacting with another living thing. Effects cease should the dead be revived.
Playing a Dragonbound rider
Religion: Dragonbound riders follow what ever religion suits their alignment along with that of their dragonbound mounts alignment. both must have similar alignments, but not necessarily worship the same deity.
Other Classes: the dragonbound rider with ally himself with any other class that will strengthen him and his mount in some way, as long as they are of similar alignment.
Combat: death from above, the last thing people see, the role of the dragonbound rider is to rule the battle field with utter supremacy.
Dragonbound riders in the World
Being a Dragonbound rider makes you a weighty force in the world, however you choose to use that power. you could lead armies, lay waste to cities, champion for good or evil, whatever you do, you will reign supreme.
Dragonbound rider Lore
Characters with ranks in gather information can research Dragonbound riders to learn more about them. When a character makes a skill check, read or paraphrase the following, including information from lower DCs.
|10||they are magicly bound to their dragon mounts.|
|20||being bound to a dragon can greatly expand your life force, making you age much slower.|
|25||even though some may ride dragons, very few are actually bound to their dragons, it is not a choice for the rider to make, but the dragon picks his rider.|
|30||When the dragon and rider reach such high levels of greatness, they may have the chance to be raised to divine beings.|