Demi-Ogres (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
A demi-ogre is a cross between an ogre and another unfortunate creature, typically a human, occasionally an elf or dwarf. They are, fortunately, quite rare, and always sterile.
Most often, the demi-ogre's life began with violence, and has continued in violence ever since. Even those who are fortunate enough to be raised by their non-ogre parent's family are likely to be shunned by all but their closest family, and possibly even by them. But they're still far better off than those raised by ogres. These have spent their whole lives being abused because they're weak, surviving only because of their marginally superior intellect, or perhaps because of a patron's protection.
A typical demi-ogre is an angry creature. He trusts no one, assumes that those who are nice to him are only trying to use him. He, in turn, bullies everyone around, believing that the only way to stay alive is to be the alpha male (or female, as the case may be).
Even that very rare exception who is raised in a nurturing environment -- say, a monk's abbey -- is constantly at war with his bestial nature. He has a quick temper, always fighting the urge to react with his fists. Conquering the monster within requires incredible discipline. On the other hand, if he does manage to harness all that strength and anger toward a noble cause, he can make a huge impact (so to speak).
A typical demi-ogre is over 8 feet tall, broad of build and weighs over 500 pounds. They have heavy features, and rough skin.
(Smaller demi-ogres use the statistics for Firbolgs.)
There is no demi-ogre society as such. A demi-ogre lives on the fringe of either parent's society, or else as a hermit. His attitude toward other races varies, but other races tend to treat him as they would a full ogre.
Most demi-ogres tend toward chaos, and demi-ogres raised by ogres tend toward evil, but any alignment is possible.
Demi-ogres tend to stay in the borderlands between civilized and savage lands, where they are most likely to be ignored. Most do not fare well in fully civilized country, although some might find a welcome in lands where ogres are little known, and hence little feared.
Demi-ogres generally don't have the patience for intellectual religion, but are as likely as any other race to follow a deity who offers them a purpose. Demi-ogres who live among ogres are naturally most likely to follow chaotic evil ogre deities.
Most demi-ogres speak only common or ogre, depending on where they were raised. A relatively intelligent demi-ogre might learn to speak one or two languages of other nearby peoples.
A demi-ogre is generally named according to the customs of whatever society raises him. Demi-ogres raised among ogres tend to have simple, violent names, such as Crusher or Grunt.
- Attributes: +8 Strength, -2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -4 Charisma. Demi-ogres are incredibly strong and tough, but lacking in refinement.
- Giant: For all effects related to race, a demi-ogre is considered a giant.
- Large: –2 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, space/reach 10 feet, lifting and carrying limits double those of medium characters.
- Base Land Speed: 40 feet.
- Powerful Build: can wield a weapon as if he was one size category larger with no penalty.
- Natural Armor Bonus (Ex): A demi-ogre's tough hide gives him a natural armor bonus of +3 to his Armor Class.
- Darkvision (Ex): A demi-ogre has darkvision out to 60 feet.
- Light Sensativity: A demi-ogre is dazzled in bright sunlight or within the radius of a daylight spell.
- Automatic Languages: Common or Giant. Bonus Languages: Giant or Common, Dwarvish, Gnoll, Goblin, Orc.
- Favored Class: Barbarian.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|28 years||40 years||52 years||+2d8 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||7' 3"||+2d12||420 lb.||×(2d6) lb.|
|Female||7' 0"||+2d12||360 lb.||×(2d6) lb.|
Back to Main Page → 3.5e Homebrew → Races