Small construct, unaligned
Armor Class 13 (natural armor)
Hit Points 27 (6d6 + 6)
Speed 30 ft., burrow 15 ft.
Damage Vulnerabilities lightning
Damage Immunities poison, psychic; bludgeoning, piercing and slashing damage from nonmagical weapons that aren't adamantine
Condition Immunities charmed, exhaustion, frightened, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned
Senses darkvision 60 ft., passive Perception 10
Languages understands the languages of its creator but can't speak
Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)
Immutable Form. The clockwork mini-pyrobomb is immune to any spell or effect that would alter its form.
Magic Resistance. The clockwork mini-pyrobomb has advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects.
Magic Weapons. The clockwork mini-pyrobomb's weapon attacks are magical.
Ticking Bomb. When the clockwork mini-pyrobomb takes damage for the first time, it creates a synthetic, glowing bead of fire energy inside its glass container as a reaction. When the mini-pyrobomb drops to 0 hit points, the bead detonates in an explosion of flame that spreads around corners. Each creature in a 10-foot-radius sphere centered on that point must make a DC 11 Dexterity saving throw. A creature takes fire damage equal to the total accumulated damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one.
The explosion’s base damage is 1d4. If at the end of the mini-pyrobomb's turn the bead has not yet detonated, the damage increases by 1d4. The fire damages objects in the area and ignites flammable objects that aren’t being worn or carried.
Multiattack. The clockwork mini-pyrobomb makes two melee attacks.
Leg Stab. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6 + 1) piercing damage.
Smaller-scale versions of the clockwork bombs, mini-bombs are most often encountered buried in the ground in clusters, or hiding in nooks and crannies, and will pop out of hiding in an attempt to surround enemy targets, before detonating themselves like land mines. Otherwise, they serve the same overall function as their larger counterparts.
Variant: Alternate Payloads
Clockwork bombs can have alternate payloads asides from simply fire.
- Clockwork Mini-Meltabombs explode with acid damage.
- Clockwork Mini-Cryobombs explode with cold damage. Creatures that fail their dexterity saving throws are also slowed by 5 feet for 1 minute.
- Clockwork Mini-Arcanobombs explode with force damage.
- Clockwork Mini-Electrobombs explode with lightning damage. Creatures that fail their dexterity saving throws are also paralyzed for 1 minute.
- Clockwork Mini-Deathbombs explode with necrotic damage. Creatures within the blast radius must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, or have their maximum hit points reduced by a quarter of the necrotic damage taken (minimum of 1). The creature dies if its maximum hit points are reduced to 0. This reduction to a creature's hit point maximum lasts until the creature finishes a long rest or until it is affected by a healing spell of 1st-level or higher.
- Clockwork Mini-Poisonbombs explode with poison damage. Creatures within the blast radius must make a DC 11 Constitution saving throw, or be poisoned for 1 minute.
- Clockwork Mini-Lightbombs explode with radiant damage. Creatures that fail their dexterity saving throws are also blinded for 1 minute.
- Clockwork Mini-Thunderbombs explode with thunder damage. Creatures that fail their Dexterity saving throws are also pushed 5 feet away from the center of the explosion, and are deafened for 1 minute.