Chestoria (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|A "race's compendium" race created by|
Deep in the black forests of the world where no mortal men have traveled for ages there lives a breed that lives at peace with the creatures of nature. Seen as a blessing by some and a curse by others, these gentle folk can be quickly angered by trespasses against their lands, but are actually quite friendly if approached correctly. Hunters would be wise to not hunt more than they need if the Chestoria are about.
Amongst their own kind Chestoria live tribal lives with little care for goods and wealth. They’re friendly to most, but still reserved. They are quick with a song or a story, just as they are quick with a sword when the need arises. Once you earn a Chestorian’s trust, you have a friend for the rest of your life (because chances are they’ll outlive you). Once you have earned their wrath you’d best beware of dark nights in the forest.
Chestorian males stand about 3 to 3-1/2 feet tall, while females are generally between 4 to 4-1/2 feet tall, and generally weigh between 40 to 45 pounds for men and 60-70 pounds for women. Their skin ranges from grayish-green through light blue to the faintest purple and their eyes can be any shade, though yellows and blues seem to be prominent. They have no body or facial hair, except a rare male will grow a beard. Their hair is typically black, though there are the rare shades of brown, red, white, and silver. They generally wear loose fitting earth tones made from tough fabric designed for a harsh life. They possess an animal-like grace that is both frightening and beautiful to watch. A Chestorian reaches true adulthood within the tribe at the age of 20 when they undergo their rite of passage. This rite of passage bonds them with their spiritual animal. This is an above average animal who’s spirit becomes intertwined with the young Chestorian. Typically a Chestorian’s animal companion will be of the same kind as their mother, though occasionally they will differ. Chestoria with animal companions no longer need sleep, but instead enter into a 4 hour meditative trance which gives them the same benefit that a normal human gains from 8 hours of rest.
Chestoria view all races with a bit of suspicion, as most “civilized” people tend to abuse the forest for personal gain, but this doesn’t cause a Chestoria to treat individuals with too much anger, and they are typically quite interested in meeting new people. Of all the races they get along best with Halflings, because Halflings tend to be more respectful of the land. They often quarrel with Goblins, and there are rumors of a shared ancestry, but this seldom leads to outright fighting (unless the goblin shows themselves to be a danger to the tribe or forest home).
Chestoria tend to be caring and try to be balanced. They are generally neutral and lean towards good over evil, but sometimes a rare individual may snap and become a beast in more ways than one.
Chestoria tend to live in areas of pristine beauty, at harmony with the world around them. They are territorial and nomadic, seeing permanent settlement as an unnatural existence, but their hunting grounds are generally measured in days of travel. Any unspoiled land may have a Chestorian tribe defending it, the more remote and distant the better.
Chestoria have little use for the “Gods” of men, but instead tend to ritualize and spiritualize everyday aspects of their life. Life is sacred to them, they need nothing more than that.
Chestoria speak the languages of the forest creatures. They often learn common to deal with the odd hunter or traveler.
Chestorian birth names are simple descriptions of the chances of their birth, typically celestial events or omens, or even totem spirits that may have been connected with the day of birth. After performing the bonding ritual of adulthood a Chestorian gives themselves a new name. Family and life-mates may call a Chestorian by their birth name, all others would be wise to use their adult name.
Yilrik, Ketrik, Tegpak, Metwyn, Pollgan, Finnd
Sharest, Rikka, Terra, Linna, Merwyn, Cassia, Chestra
Wolfborn, Eaglespirit, Ragingstar, Ghostwood, Spiritwalker
Chestoria adventure for many reasons. Some may be searching for new hunting grounds to start a tribe in, others may be taking a more active role in preventing the unrestrained “beast” of civilization, but most are simply curious as to why people want to live inside of brick houses and worry about all sorts of things that don’t matter to one who has ran through the night on all fours or flown above clouds lit by moonlight.
Chestorian Racial Traits
- Males +6 Dex, -4 Str
- Females +6 Dex, -2 Str, -2 Con
- Small: As a Small creature, a Chestorian gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but he uses smaller weapons than humans use, and his lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
- Base Land Speed 30
- Low-Light Vision: A Chestorian can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditionsDark Vision 60'
- Immune to sleep, +2 racial saving throw against mind-affecting spells, powers, or abilities.
- +2 Racial bonus on Listen, Move Silently, Ride, Search, and Spot. A Chestorian who merely passes within 5 feet of a secret or concealed door is entitled to a Search check to notice it as if she were actively looking for it.
- Weapon Proficiency: Chestoria receive free martial weapon proficiency in longbow and shortbow. All Chestoria live by hunting and become proficient with a bow by eight years of age.
- Monstrous Humanoid (Shapechanger): Chestoria are not subject to spells or effects that affect humanoids only, such as charm person or dominate person.
- Wild Empathy: A Chestorian is naturally attuned to nature and adds +1 to all wild empathy checks.
- Bonded Animal Companion: At the age of 20 a Chestorian must undergo a ritual which permanently bonds them with an animal. This animal is above average for its race and the ritual bestows upon it a small amount of sentience. The animal will be any one from this list: badger, bear (brown or black), boar, dire rat, dire weasel, dog, eagle, hawk, leopard/panther/cougar, owl, raven, snake (small or medium), wolf, or wolverine (DM may substitute additional animals as necessary, small or medium animals are the norm, around 3 hit dice). A character with the animal companion ability treats this creature as their animal companion, and may not substitute at higher levels for a new one. A character with the familiar class ability treats this animal as their familiar. A Chestorian gains the natural Special abilities of her Bonded Animal Companion (such as Scent, Rage, etc) and also benefits from their racial skill bonuses.
- Racial levels stack with class levels to determine animal companion abilities (for classes with animal companion/familiar progression).
- Should a bonded Animal companion be killed a Chestorian automatically gains one negative level, which may only be removed by getting her animal companion brought back to life. If this is not possible then the Chestorian is expected to wander into the woods and die, though they may choose not to if they have pressing duties to attend to..
- Alternate Form: A Chestorian may assume the form of an animal of the same kind as her animal companion. This is a full-round action that provokes attacks of opportunity. They may change shape a number of times per day equal to their ECL. The alternate form is the same creature every time.
- Naturally Psionic: Chestoria gain 2 bonus power points at 1st level. This benefit does not grant them the ability to manifest powers unless they gain that ability through another source, such as levels in a psionic class.
- Racial Hit Dice: A Chestorian begins with one level of monstrous humanoid (shapechanger) which provides 1d8 Hit Dice, a base attack bonus of +1, base saving throw bonuses of Fort +0, Ref +2, Will +2, and proficiency with all simple weapons and all light armor, but not shields.
- Racial Skills: A Chestorian’s monstrous humanoid levels give her skill points equal to 4 x (2 + Int modifier). Her class skills are Concentration, Craft, Handle Animal, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Ride, Spot, Survival, and Swim.
- Starting Languages: Common and Sylvan
- Favored Class: Druid
- Level Adjustment: +1
Chestorian Animal Companions
Chestorian Animal Companions all have the following traits
Alertness, Evasion, Share Spells, Empathic Link, Intelligence 6, Natural AC +1. Otherwise they have the statistics of normal animals of their kind.
• A Chestorian without any racial levels is considered a humanoid and is not as quick as their brethren suffering -2 to their dexterity. They also do not have Wild Empathy, an Animal Companion, or an Alternate form. After the age of 20 they may not acquire this racial level. • Any Chestoria without a bonded animal companion (due to its death or not going through the ritual of bonding) suffers a -4 to all charisma based checks with regards to other Chestorians.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|30 years||40 years||50 years||+1d20 * 4 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||5' 6"||+1d6||120 lb.||5 × (2d6) lb.|
|Female||5' 0"||+1d6||90 lb.||5 × (2d6) lb.|