Burrow Gnome (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
(see also, Burrow Gnome Paragon (3.5e Racial Paragon Class))
Like dwarves, burrow gnomes are as stubborn as the packed earth they call home. When danger rears it's ugly head, they will take it into their tiny hands to decapitate it. On the other hand, they are a timid people who like to keep to themselves. They have absolutely no patience for trouble makers that would disturb their calm, routine way of life, employing harsh methods for dealing with them (usually burying them up to their chin in tightly packed dirt and leaving them there without food for a day, placing large rocks around their head so they can't get out). Sculpting, gardening, and burrowing are respected occupations as rocks and dirt are an important part of their of their life style. They don't often have blacksmiths or miners however, for rocks are more abundant than metal where they live and just as useful as far as they're concerned.
Burrow gnomes are far far smaller than other gnome species, standing about a foot and a half tall on average and weighing about 25 pounds. They also have skin colors ranging from light gray to ruddy tan. They almost always have brown hair and their eyes are one solid color, usually green, but occasionally blue or brown. Their arms are slightly disproportionally long, and end in very large hands with thick, broad nails. They are designed to dig, and as such are deceivingly strong. The men, unlike other gnome races, grow lots of body hair, often sporting thick sideburns and very hairy arms.
As they despise trouble makers, they usually aren't good friends with most other gnomes, halflings, kobolds, and other notorious pranksters. In general, they avoid most people, minding their own business and digging out their homes far away from "the stain of the big people." If neighboring settlements do something that the burrow gnomes dislike, they are given a warning, often in the form of missing livestock or a burned building, and if they continue, let's just say that they are good with a pick axe.
Because they despise trouble makers, they are usually lawful, and they usually don't take sides, making them neutral.
A nice patch in the forest with lots of loose soil is paradise for a burrow gnome. They also tend to live in temperate areas.
Burrow gnomes don't tend to be religious, instead revering nature with similar respect. Those that are tend to worship deities connected to earthy and natural things.
Burrow gnomes don't have the same love of names that other gnomes have, instead giving them one name that reflects their culture, such as Cabbage, Stone, and Ferret.
- +2 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -4 Strength, -2 Charisma: Burrow gnomes are agile and tough as nails, but are also stubborn, small, and isolationist.
- Humanoid (Gnome): Burrow gnomes are considered gnomes for the purpose of effects relating to gnomes.
- Tiny: As a tiny creature, burrow gnomes receive a +2 on attacks and AC, as well as a +8 on hide checks. They do however receive a -8 (-4 with Powerful Build) penalty on special attacks such as bull rushes and trips, and can only carry 1/2 (3/4 with Powerful Build) of what a medium creature with the same strength score could carry.
- Burrow gnome base land speed is 15 feet: Burrow base speed is 5 feet (not usable in heavy or medium armor, or while carrying a shield).
- Water Vulnerability: Burrow gnomes hate water, and when one is completely soaked, he receives a -1 penalty on all attack rolls, ability checks, and skill checks. Also, when a burrow gnome is submerged in water, he cannot hold his breath and must immediately start making constitution checks to avoid drowning (a danger if his burrow gets flooded).
- Powerful Build: A burrow gnome is considered small when it would benefit him, such as when grappling, using larger weapons, or threatening the squares around him (which a tiny creature can't normally do). They also have the same carrying capacity as a small character of the same strength.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Gnome, Bonus Languages: Dwarf, Goblin, Undercommon, and Terran.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|90 years||130 years||200 years||+2d% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||1' 2"||+1d6||5 lb.||× x1 lb.|
|Female||1' 0"||+1d6||4 lb.||× x1 lb.|