Athlete (3.5e NPC Class)
From D&D Wiki
anyone of almost any class could with enough skill ranks could be used to represent somebody with an interest and talent for sports, however this NPC class is meant to represent people with an single minded focus towards bodily perfection, somewhat exceptional and elite sportsmen and women with no particular interest in violence. Weightlifters, professional swimmers, javelin hurlers, folks who might all be just as if not more strong or nimble as any adventurer would but who would not have the same talent in a dungeon setting.
important note about this class it is a bit closer to the power level of an regular PC class than normal NPC classes, and might in its own specific area of expertise out-do regular classes. This class is not suited for the gestalt character rule set and should never be allowed to make gestalt characters, as when combined with an proper martial class it would be greater than the sum of its parts in ways that were not intended.
- Starting Age
|1st||+0||+2||+0||+0||Athletic +1, special feature|
|7th||+3||+5||+2||+2||ability boost, athletic +4|
|10th||+5||+7||+3||+3||ability boost, bonus feat|
|13th||+6||+8||+4||+4||ability boost, athletic +7|
|19th||+9||+11||+6||+6||ability boost, athletic +10|
Class Skills (5 + Int modifier per level)
All of the following are class features of the Athlete:
- Weapon and Armor proficiency
the athlete is not proficient in any armor, but is proficient in javelins, throwing axes, slings and darts. A DM may determine that an athlete is proficient with certain other weapons related to sporting events
you gain a competence bonus to checks made with the following skills equal to half your level (rounded up): Balance, Climb, Jump, Ride, Swim and Tumble. You may also apply this bonus to all grapple checks. This competence bonus is referred to as your "athletics bonus". If your athletics bonus is ever less than twice your current armor check penalty, you cannot apply it to anything until your armor check penalty is lowered.
- Special Feature
at 1st, 8th, 12th and 20th level, you may choose to gain a single special feature from the following list:
- mental aptitude add autohypnosis to your list of class skills and mental leap to the list of bonus feats you can chooose
- impressive hurler you may add your athletics bonus as a competence bonus to ranged attack rolls made with thrown weapons, and may increase your range increment with thrown weapons you are proficient with by an number of feet equal to your athletics bonus + your strength modifier
- perfect balance you gain an bonus to balance, escape artist, ride and tumble checks equal to half your strength modifier, and an bonus to your climb, jump and swim checks equal to half your dexterity bonus
- Well rounded you can add your athletics bonus to strength, dexterity and constitution based ability checks.
- skill mastery see the rouge special ability of the same name
- fast movement while you are unarmored, your base movement speed increases by 10 feet, and the distance you climb or swim with every successful climb or swim check increases by 5. At 3rd level and every three levels thereafter this speed bonus increases by 5 feet. At 6th level and every 6 levels thereafter the climb and swim bonus increases by 5 feet.
- Bonus feat
at 2nd level and every four levels thereafter you gain one of the following feats of your choice as a bonus feat: agile, acrobatic, athletic, endurance, great fortitude, run, skill focus, improved grapple, dash, mind over body, rapid metabolism.
- ability boost
at 4th level and every 3 levels thereafter, you may increase your strength or dexterity score by 2.