Arcanum (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Arcanums aren't "natural" humanoids, arcanums tend to come into existence through the primal stages of a realm. Warlocks/Wizards who attempt to summon minions during this 'primal age' will some times summon Arcanums. During this age, the Arcanum will mimic the look of the attempted summoned creature though with the creature's skull for its head. The chance for this to occur is extremely rare, though is normally seen as a good outcome to the summoner. When Arcanums first enter the realm they have an unfaltering or more inline 'embedded' loyalty to the summoner. The arcanum will know everything the summoner knows to allow easy access for spells and knowledge to assist its summoner. This 'embedded' loyalty slowly withers away around 10-20 years as the mental link to the summoner withers away and the arcanum begins to have to think for its self. Around this time depending on the summoner's actions the arcanum can grow more and more rebellious, much like a child starting to go through puberty.
The arcanums home realm is known as the "black sea" a realm devoid of life though bursting with raw primal magic. The realm looks like a marsh with decaying matter everywhere and very little light. Bones and skulls can be seen for miles and magic in this realm seem to always fail, despite the available magic. The magical energies are so wild and dense that they often get shuttered into the surrounding matter and bones. This process is how the arcanums are born though with a dormant sentient. Some higher-level summons will open small "Vacumes" into this realm dragging small amounts of bones and matter into the summoner's realm. As realms develop more and more the chance for this diminishes more and more until the realm is unable to reach the black sea. Each realm normally has a very minute number of arcanums.
Arcanum is very outgoing and friendly, they are always under the guise of a slain creature. Arcanums have a love for hunting & gathering and an uncanny thirst for knowledge. Some personality traits can be taken from the one whom summoned the arcanum.
Tall, and dark the Arcanum stands roughly a foot taller than your average human. The skin is soft and black, silky smooth. The skin of the Arcanum is known to change pigment and texture when they dawn a mask of a creature. The Arcanums have claws but are not nearly sharp enough to do any damage. The top part of the arcanum's head is a skull that represents an animal, while the lower half seems to resemble a human.
Relations between the Arcanum and other races vary, arcanums natural appearance causes some to freakout or even attack them. This is why arcanums use blood in the mask they create to enhance the properties of the guse they use. It is not uncommon for adventures to know the true face of an Arcanum and remain friends. Arcanums are friendly to all they encounter, this friendliness though is driven by curiosity. Some bonds that are formed with the arcanum are known to receive gifts and trinkets of silvery beauty, the arcanum believes that if they manifest their memories and gift them to close friends it will act as a good luck charm. Often these threads are made of fond and happy memories with the recipient.
Any alignment that is not lawful.
Dence city, urban locations.
Though not naturally religious, curiosity will drive some to any religion.
Males: Lal'Tutham, Fla'um, Bob Females: Sal'sum, Rathum, Robin
- -1 Consitution, +2 Charisma: The Arcanum's body is soft and not use to taking hits, just the impact to armor stings.
- "Monstrous Humanoid": are similar to humanoids, but with monstrous or animalistic features. They often have magical abilities as well.
- Medium: As Medium creatures, humans have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Arcanum base land speed is 30ft.
- Silverline Sickness (Ex): The body heavily relies on the internal magicks of the body, to sustain cells and mussels. If the Arcanum is struck by silver or silver is inhaled it will interrupt the flow the magicks do-to the pure properties of the silver. The arcanum must make a constitution save or become paralyzed. Skills/feats the would normally give immunity to silver will only gain 'advantage' to this trait. The Arcanum cannot be healed through magical means.
- Horror of the Deep: If a creature figures out the true identity of the creature and isn't considered friendly. They may act more aggressive towards the arcanum, such as unwilling to help or rising the prices in shops.
- Magically Dence Blood(Su): The arcanum can sacrifice 20% of MAX HP to enhance a potion doubling the outcome of the roll. Creatures that are not the Arcanum must make a wisdom save or become addicted. This skill can also supplement spell requirements up to 1000g worth of gold or double the outcome of a spell at the cost of 25 % of MAX HP. This is done through physical contact. This trait will not work on the arcanum.
- Ather Crafting (Ex): The Arcanum can craft weapons and armors at extra orderly speeds. The materials must have been gathered from the wild or from a slain creature. The Arcanum will go into a trance when crafting often decorating the weapon/armor with events of its life of recent or long forgotten. All weapons/armor crafted is considered masterwork. This process can take up to 2 hours. The Arcanum can also spend 1 hour to craft a mask to mimic a creature (Though will need a fragment of that creature. Such as blood, skin, hair ect.) When dawning the mask the body will aggressively change size, pigment, and detail to match the creature. This similar to disguise self but with requirements and more benefits.
- "Black Magic" (Su): Through the use of magic from the black sea the arcanum can draw out the soul and life essences out of a creature into a emerald-like crystal. This spell acts alot like Imprisonment. This process also will draw out a silvery thread containing all the memories of the creature (Roughly 6 feet long). The arcanum can sacrifice its own memories to create a thread a foot long. The thread durability rivals Mythril. The arcanum can also "Infect" magic in creatures by biting them, this will corrupt and consume magic in the creature, magical effects positive and negative will be cleansed. This cannot be done while under the effect of a mask. This will heal the arcanum for 1d6 hp +1 per level. Lastly, the arcanum can channel magic into his body from the surrounding area causing local fauna to decay or warp, the rate of this is 25% hp per hour (If canceled before an hour no health is gained) this action can be done under the guse of a mask.
- Automatic Languages: Common/Arcanum. Bonus Languages: None.
- Favored Class: Any that is ranged.
- Level Adjustment: 0
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|450 years||900 years||1800 years||+% years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||6'8"||+1d4||160 lb.||× +1d4 lb.|
|Female||4'8"||+1d4||110 lb.||× 1d4 lb.|