Alraune, Devourer (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Alraunes generally are carefree and quite innocent/ignorant to outside influences due to there very seclusive nature. They can be very curious creatures when they don't feel threatened. Alrarunes are normally found only in the deepest regions of the eldest forests, though some have reported sightings of alraunes outside of said areas. it is very hard to distinguish them due to them being able to conceal themselves as a simple plant. Alraunes are mostly content to simply live out their lives as a normal plant would. Though some have been known to be far more curious and have grown around more populated regions, to watch the residents live out there daily lives.
Alraunes are plant-based creatures. There are theoretically as many alraunes as there are plant-types. They are what appears to be a humanoid figure fused with a plant. The most common Alraune build is a humanoid female from the stomach up, everything below the stomach is a plant body of some kind, usually a flower or ivy. Most Alraunes can feed by simple photosynthesis. However some alraunes have derived from carnivorous plants such as the venus fly-trap, and as such need to supplement there diets with meat as well, as photosynthesis alone is insufficient to keep them healthy. These alraunes tend to have some sort of external predation organ to capture prey. Eye colors are generally a hue of green or blue, with hair that is normally brown, red, or green in hue. The height of an alraune can vary depending on the surroundings and how long it has had the opportunity to feed/grow. the average height of an alraune is between 3 feet to 14 feet, with the tallest alraune being recorded at 20 feet tall Alraunes age the same way plants do, and as such can live for a very long time if nothing of danger threatens them. The oldest alraune was recorded at 890 years.
Alraunes ignore the other alraunes usually unless its absolutely necessary, they have no attachment to any race at all. carnivorous alraunes will generally try to seduce any potential prey sources so as to make feeding easier. Many scholars consider alraunes to be monsters and as such are usually attacked on sight by the more civilized races.
Alraunes are usually true neutral, or chaotic neutral, since they are generally carefree and blissfully ignorant of everything outside their lives.
Alraunes almost exclusively live in the deepest, oldest of jungles and very rarely venture out of these lands. Though alraunes can live anywhere normal plants are capable of living comfortably. Carnivorous alraunes are nomadic, as they need to find sources of prey to keep themselves healthy.
Alraunes normally do not know what the meaning of religion is. Though they do consider the jungles and forests they grow up in sacred.
All alraunes can speak sylvan as their native tongue. Some are capable of speaking spirit tongue. Other languages are picked up as they encounter different races. The nomadic carnivorous alraunes are fluent in common to make it easier to snare prey.
Alraunes typically adopt names from other cultures they come into contact with as they do not normally name themselves.
- Stat Bonuses: +2 Cha, -2 Wis, +4 Str, -4 Int Carnivorous alraunes must rely on physcial strength to subdue any prey they lure into capture as they do not have the agility to chase down fleeing prey. Alraunes typically are very ignorant as a species as well.
- Type: Humanoid Plant
- Size: Large Alraunes can grow up to 20 feet tall at the end of maturity. They are slow, but quite strong.
- Base Land Speed: Alraunes base land speed is 20ft
- Darkvision: A Alraune can see up to 60ft in the dark
- Alraunes have a natural weakness to fire as they are plant-based lifeforms.
- Alraunes have a racial penalty of -2 to all knowledge checks as they have no experience of the outside world.
- Alraunes are able to communicate with other plants telepathically.
- Ensnare: carnivorous alraunes need to subdue any prey they manage to ensnare. If the alraune rolls the max 2 digits of its damage roll it can choose to bind the target in its vines. Ensnared targets cannot make any actions and must make an opposed strength check each turn to break free. Alraunes can attack ensnared targets, but at half-damage only.
- Constrict: An alraune that has a target ensnared, can crush an opponent in its vines, dealing bludgeoning damage, after making a successful grapple check. The damage is 1d4 (+1 for every 2 levels of the user). This is considered a free-action as it requires the target to already be ensnared by the alraune.
- Devour: If a carnivorous alraune has a target ensnared, it can attempts to devour(eat) the target if it is a smaller creature then itself. The target must make a grapple check against the alraune. If the target fails then it is swallowed whole, if it saves then it will remain ensnared, but the alraune cannot make any further actions that round. Swallowed targets are placed inside a digestive predation organ & take 1d8 points of damage per turn as they are slowly digested, and must make a fortitude save every round (DC 18) or take 1d4 points of strength & constitution damage. To escape being swalloed by the alraune the target must make strength check vs the alraune. Successful rolls lets it escape the stomach, and puts it back to being ensnared again in its vines, where it may be swallowed again.
- Ingrain: The alraune is a plant-based life-form, and as such can root itself into the ground to absorb some nutrients to restore itself. this is a full round action, and it cannot move, or be knocked prone during this action. The alraune will remain in this state until it takes another full round to uproot itself. ingrained alraunes recover 1d8 hitpoints per turn.
- Natural warrior: alraunes do not possess the knowledge to properly use crafted weapons, and thus cannot wield martial, exotic, or simple weapons. Carnivorous alraunes grow natural weapons as they age and for every two levels of the alraune, they gain an additional limb to attack with. These limbs do 1d6 points of damage each, and cannot be enchanted. Alrarunes however do have a humanoid top half and can thus wear any clothing or armor that would fit a normal humanoid of their size. They can be taught to use simple weapons, but this will take up a feat slot.
- Sweet scent: Carnivorous alraunes need to lure prey to ensnare them. Once a day they can attempt to release pheromones into the air to attract nearby sources of food towards the alraune. This is a gas-type attack and effects a 50 foot radius around the alraune. This gas is indiscriminate, and all creatures in the radius must make a fortitude DC 15+ Chrismia modifier or be compelled to move next to the alraune.
- Improved grab: alraunes can get the improved grab feat for free at level 6.
- Automatic Languages: Sylvan. Bonus Languages: Spirit Tongue, Common.
- Favored class: Druid, Fighter.
- Level Adjustment: +4