Alartares (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
|This page needs an image. If you are an artist, or know of any image that would fit this page, please upload a picture and add it.|
Alartares are originally from a hidden plane of existence devoid of gods and fiends watching over them. Alartares exist to keep good, evil and neutral alignments balanced. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean they don't have their own plans. If an Alartares was to die without "choosing to" (while in his physical form and choose not to return to his home plane) he will transform into a vaporous ghostly form and continue traveling with his comrades.
A dark alartares, on the other hand, has been driven mad by his own visions. He can no longer remember how to return home and is extremely unstable. In his ghostly form, he extremely dangerous and will harm anyone that he can in any way possible.
Alartares choose who they are born to before their birth. How this comes to pass is still unknown, as are the reasons behind it.
Since alartares are made of a combination of both arcane and divine magical power, they drain themselves when casting spells.
Most alartares tend to be withdrawn and outcast from societies due to their odd behaviors and empathic abilities. They avoid areas with crowds, due to their high levels of empathy their emotions are often overwhelmed by those around them. However, their own weaker emotions are often overrun.
They rarely allow others into their homes, for such places are often sanctuaries of peace for them and don't like to risk having others imprint their homes with emotional resonances. When in public, alartares cover themselves to avoid the touch of people as a safeguard against reading their emotions. Alartares are attuned to emotional resonances left in locations and can discern powerful emotions and feelings.
Once an alartares has decided that someone is a friend they will never abandon them no matter what happens, or what those friends become.
Born only to humans and elves, they change as they grow. Many of these changes begin at puberty. Alartares choose their parents before their birth, choosing parents with qualities they feel would make them ideal.
Their height ranges from 4'6" to 6' tall, with females often being slightly shorter. Alartares are about half as light as they look, being partly composed of energies. Their skin color is the normal hue for a member of their parent race, but as they grow, their emotions will begin to determine the hue of their skin. Alartares eyes also change with age. The iris will slowly begin to gain a film much like that of oil on water and become cat-like after puberty.
They are born with an eye on the palm of each hand. These special eyes are typically an unnatural color, such as purple. The corneas of these eyes are black. These eye's are integral in perceiving emotional resonances in an area, a skill they develop with age and experience. However, such a skill is not without its dangers, as an alartares must take care not to get wrapped up in the senses of others long past.
Their hair, often worn long, is white at birth and begins to change colors depending on the emotions of those around them after puberty. Finger and toenails are black. At puberty, these nails, much tougher than most nails, can be protracted and retracted. Males will grow black, pointed, thin, smooth, horns at their hair line that angle to the back of their heads.
They stop aging at adulthood and eternally if they are not killed or decide to disappear from the Material Plane. Some alartares will cease to exist or go back to where they came from if the emotions of others finally overwhelm them.
While in vaporous form, they appear as a vaguely humanoid cloud or ghost.
They are usually wary of everyone and will avoid those with extreme emotions. Once an alartares has been given a chance to see the intensions of others, they will lend their trust. Alartares are extremely loyal and would die for those they trust.
Alartares may be of any alignment, but rarely evil alignments due to their empathic abilities. An evil alartares is a truly twisted being and best avoided at all costs. Torture is their favorite pastime, as they have become obsessed with the painful emotions of others.
They have no lands since they are born to humans and elves. They can live anywhere, but will more then likely live in the least populated place that they can find. It is rare but not impossible to find a village or town of them.
They rarely choose a deity to follow, if they do follow one, it is most likely the deity their parents worshipped.
They are born knowing Abyssal, Celestial and learn Common (and possibly Elven) from their parents. Also, they have their own language known as The Mixture, a hodgepodge mixture of other languages.
They will usually use the name that they are given at birth (usually human) with when dealing with others. They also have a name before birth which they rarely, if ever, use unless they meet with their own kind or those they trust.
- +4 Dexterity, −4 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, +4 Wisdom: Alartares are nimble, intellectual and wise, but particularly frail. Because of their ability to choose which parents they are born to, they also gain some of the racial aspects of their parents. Elven: Immunity to Magic Sleep Effects, +2 racial saving throws. +2 racial bonus to Listen, Search and Spot. Half-Elf: Immunity to Magic Sleep Effects, +1 racial bonus to Listen, Search and Spot. +2 Racial Bonus to Gather Information and Diplomacy. Human: 1 Extra feat at first level, 4 extra skill points at first level, an additional one point at each other level.
- Outsider (Native): Their body is from the Material Plane but their soul is from another plane.
- Medium: Alartares are medium, but are treated in many ways as though smaller.
- Alartares base land speed is 40 feet.
- Slight Build: When calculating size effects, they are treated as though one size category smaller for determining Special modifiers, Hide modifiers and carrying capacity. They gain a +4 bonus on Hide skill checks and their carrying capacity is 3/4ths that of a medium standard creature.
- Divine Eyes (Ex): The extra eyes on their hands grants them Darkvision out to 60 feet as well as a +4 racial bonus on Spot and Search skill checks.
- Transfer Emotion (Su): At anytime an alartares contacts another creature, he must make a Will save DC 10 + creature's HD + creature's Charisma modifier or suddenly feel the emotions of that creature as well as the attitude of that creature as with the empathy power. This ability cannot be suppressed by the alartares.
- Detect Emotion (Su): An alartares constantly detects the emotions of all creatures within 30 feet, much like the empathy power. He gains a +2 insight bonus on Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, or Sense Motive checks against targets within 30 feet.
- Detect Residual Emotion (Su): Using the eyes on their palms, they can sense if strong emotions happened within 30 of an area as much as 1 day/HD later. This otherwise functions as Detect Emotion.
- Choose to Remain (Su): When an alartares is dropped to -10 HP or lower, he may choose to instead transform into a gaseous vapor. His HP are restored to 1 HP per HD above 0. Apply the other changes as below. This choice must be made as soon as his HP drop to -10.
- Magic Drained: An alartares suffers 1 point of non-lethal damage per spell level when he casts a spell unless he makes a caster level check DC 10 + the spell's level.
- Automatic Languages: Abyssal, Celestial, Common, The Mixture (Elven also if born of elven parents). Bonus Languages: Any (other than secret languages such as Druidic).
- Favored Class: Rogue
- Level Adjustment: +1
- Equivalent Character Level: 2
Vaporous Form Traits
Apply these changes when an alartares uses his Choose to Remain ability.
- −4 Charisma: The transformation leaves their force of personality permanently damaged.
- Outsider (Extraplanar): Without their Material Plane born body, they gain the Extraplanar Subtype.
- Vaporous alartares fly at 40 feet with perfect maneuverability.
- Incorporeal: Vaporous alartares lack a physical body.
Alartares stop aging as adults and do not have any effects of the aging process, nor do they expire from old age.
|Base Parent Race||Adulthood||Simple||Moderate||Complex|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Human-Born Male||4' 10"||+2d10||60 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Human-Born Female||4' 5"||+2d10||45 lb.||× (2d4) lb.|
|Elf-Born Male||4' 5"||+2d6||45 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|
|Elf-Born Female||4' 5"||+2d6||40 lb.||× (1d6) lb.|