Adapter, Variant (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
The adapter are a force to be reckoned with and typically aggressive creatures. At a young age adapters go through a tribal ritual where they go on a hunt for 2 weeks proving their worth to the tribe, those that do not succeed or pass their ritual are banished from their tribe as they are a disgrace to their people. To adapters only the strongest are allowed to survive to provide for stronger and better kin. The females, while mostly gatherers, are still trained in the brutal ways of the adapter and still make for fair warriors. The adapters strive in battle, as before they begin battle they typically hunt their prey to learn their strengths and how to exploit their weaknesses.
Adapters are fierce predators, taking the best qualities of every creature it slays and altering itself with that quality or ability to defeat its next opponent and so on. The adapters are hunters that focus on combat and survival. Adapters are larger creatures normally standing at anywhere from 10-12 feet tall and are around 300-500 pounds. Their skin is able to camouflage to its surroundings allowing it to track its prey from a distance, as well as providing the adapters with a tough exterior to help prevent damage, the skin is normally a dark brown and green, but can change depending on the environment they typically hunt in, as well as any alterations that have occurred from past victories. The adapters have large brown eyes which help hide them in the darkness and allow for better vision. The adapters also typically sleep very little as they are always hunting their next source of food or their next alteration.
The adapters typically don't get along with other races as they are lone hunters, however it has been said that an adapter will team up with a party of people to learn tricks or abilities not normally common to the adapter or their choosen class. Eventually the adapter will try to kill the party but only after they have nothing else to learn.
Typically the adapters are Chaotic Neutral as they focus mainly on perfecting themselves to the perfect predator.
Adapters typically live in forest or area with lots of cover and protection. The main reason is so the adapters can trap and scout anyone approaching the camp or tribe. Adapters also hunt mostly in forest as there are many creatures that roam around that may provide a useful alteration for future battles.
Most don't follow religions, however the few that do pray to gods of war or hunter gods.
Common, draconic, Giant, Orc
- Strength +8, Dexterity +6, Constitution +6, Intelligence +2, Wisdom +4, Charisma -6
- Monstrous Humanoid: Adapters begin with 8d12 HP A Base Attack Bonus of +6, a base Fortitude of+4, a base reflex of +6, and A base will of +6. This is due to long lines of breeding the strongest, fastest, and smartest to create the perfect warrior for battle. Adapters also begin with 4( 4+ Intelligence modifier) skill points.
- Large: taking a -1 to AC, a -1 to attacks, a -4 to hide, but a +4 to all natural weapons on attack and damage. They also have a 10ft reach.
- Adapter base land speed is 40 feet or 80 feet when on all fours. The adapters have consumed the essence of a four legged creature allowing it to drop to all four appendages to use them to increase speed.
- Camouflage(Ex): this ability gives the adapters the ability to hide in plain sight. By changing the color of their skin and Armour(and clothes) the adapters then blend into their surroundings. This gives the adapter a +14 to hide, escape artist, and disguise.
- Powerful Build(Ex): Your physical stature lets you function in many ways as if you were one size category larger. Whenever you are subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), you are treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to you. You are also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect you. You can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, your space and reach remain those of a creature of your actual size.
- Adaptive Skin: After years of selective breeding and consuming the adapters have become stronger and more durable making them ultimate weapons of combat. This long line of selective breeding, years of battle, and consuming dangerous creatures the adapters have gained a tough exterior. This tough exterior gives them a +6 to natural armor that stacks with all other forms of armor, and when in battle can protrude spikes out of the spine and joints. These spikes deal 1d8 damage + 1d4 poison damage to all that are struck by the spikes. The poison deals 1d4 constitution with a dc of 10+constitution modifier + 1 per HD, if the dc is failed the poison deals and addition 1d4 constitution for 1d4 rounds, if succeeded the poison deals no damage. The spikes can be removed from the body and used as weapons along with poison damage however, doing this deals 1d6 bleed damage for 5 rounds or until a successful heal check is made of dc 17.
- On The Prowl(Ex): After studying your prey for at least 3 rounds you begin to notice their strengths and weaknesses. This ability grants the adapters a +2 to all attacks and damage to that type of creature. If the adapter has studied the creature for at least 20 minutes the adapter may make an attack with the +2 bonus as well as 1d6 per HD. If the target creature is unaware of the adapter, the adapter may make a single attack with an additional 2d6 plus all of benefits of this ability.
- Dark vision: 60 feet, but unlike normal you only see things in Black, red, and white when in dark areas.
- Consume(Ex): The adapters have learned how to consume the best and most powerful abilities and traits of a creature they hunt, however to gain an ability from a class such as a barbarians rage, a rogues sneak attack, or a monks slow fall for example, the adapter must consume the entire creature beginning with the skull. To learn a class feature or ability that is a spell or spell like ability the adapter must train and study with the target to learn their ability then consume the creature to gain its full effects. For example if you want to learn how to cast spells from a wizard, you must train with them until you have learned how to cast minor spells then consume that wizard to unlock a greater range of spells, however any spell or spell-like ability gained this way is always considered to be 1/4 the regular level of that class or race.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Draconic, Giant, Orc. Bonus Languages: Any with a high enough Intelligence modifier.
- Favored Class: Rouge/Fighter/Barbarian.
- Level Adjustment: +6
|25 years||+1d6+8||+3d6+6||+10d6 +10|
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|175 years||260 years||350 years||+ 560 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||9' 0"||+2d10+5||250 lb.||× (5d6*4)lb.|
|Female||8' 8"||+4d6+4||200 lb.||× (3d8+5) lb.|