Abadones (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Abadones are anthropomorphic badgers, small and stout of stature, a bit reserved, and somewhat aggressive when confronted. They prefer secluded wilderness lives and make their dwellings away from other peoples.
Although varied in temperament Abadones almost all prefer to spend periods of time alone, with intermittent times of social contact. They prefer temperate to warm climates and are often viciously territorial and stubborn, although knowledge of ones own mental limits is as valued in Abadone culture as bravery and beauty are valued in human culture. The same can not be said for knowledge of ones own physical limits, however. "Quitters never win" is a common Abadone belief.
Abadones are comfortable walking on their two hind retrograde legs, but are more at ease and a bit quicker when moving on all four legs. They are small and stout in build, between 3.5 and 4.5 feet in height and weighing 70-80 pounds. They have small, five-digit hands with opposing thumbs and thick knuckles on average length arms. Their lower leg joints are forward facing (knees back, or retrograde) and these comparatively short legs end in broad dog-like paws. Their skin is pink and completely covered in short multicolored fur ranging from red, rowan, brown, white, blonde and tan. This fur coat often resembles that of a badger, but may also be brindle or patterned in some other subtle way. The eyes of Abadones are typically colored brown, hazel or green. The skull structure and facial features strongly resemble those of an oversized badger.
Abadones are passionately anti-Orc, owing to many truth-based tales and legends of conflicts hard fought against the Orcish kind. They do not often have relations with any other races beside Goblins, Halflings, Gnomes and Humans. Abadones typically default with friendliness when meeting others, but will usually prefer their solitude and do not go out of their way to make friends.
Alignments are varied. Abadones are typically neutral in some way, but have no racially pervasive restrictions to temperament in regards to the general well-being, destruction, rules or individuality of others.
Abadones prefer to live in seclusion, either alone or as part of a single-family unit, and do not often congregate on any level beyond a clan or small tribe, and even that is pretty rare. They take territory that fits their needs wherever they settle and become fiercely territorial over their chosen lands, which may include homes, caves, burrows, etc.
Religious practices vary by individual, but most Abadones respect nature over the deities and will consult a druid or shaman for understanding of their place in the world and the wisdom of those gone before into death before considering seeking the help of clergy.
Much of inter-Abadone communication involves a complex language of hand signals, body language and facial expressions that is not known to any other races, owing to their preference to communicate at a distance. This language can be called "Abadone", though they do not have a specific name for it. They also speak common in order to deal with the occasional stranger.
Names are varied and carry a gruff and resonating tonality, though they are truly a blend of sound and visual cues that are difficult to translate. If ever given to strangers, they will be annoyed by, but ultimately grudgingly accepting of crude approximations. They do not, however, tolerate obvious misrepresentations of their very personal information, such as their name, and take great offense to such behavior. Nicknames and slights are a quick way to find oneself on the wrong end of Abadone ire.
- Type: Humanoid (Animal)
- Natural Weapon: Every Abadone possesses powerful jaws and sharp teeth, giving them one 1d6 bite natural attack (crit x2), with which they are considered proficient.
- Natural Armor: Abadones have thick hides that protect them from harm, granting a +1 natural armor bonus to AC.
- base land speed is 30 feet, 40 feet if moving in quadrupedal stance.
- Abadone are quite expert at moving about in wild territory without being noticed, gaining +2 racial bonuses to the following skills: Climb, Jump, Hide, and Move Silently.
- Born to kill(Ex): Abadones may wield any Medium sized weapons with no penalties from non-proficiency. Their martial minds gravitate to the use of weapons and understand their use intuitively.
- Racial Feat: An Abadone gains Weapon Focus as a bonus feat at level one, which can be applied to any one weapon of their choice. Many Abadones choose their natural bite attack, but those raised in larger clans will often specialize in ranged or pole arms.
- Automatic Languages: Common, Abadone.
- Favored Class: Fighter.
- LA: 0
- EL: 1
|Middle Age1||Old2||Venerable3||Maximum Age|
|48 years||72 years||96 years||+1d12 years|
|Gender||Base Height||Height Modifier||Base Weight||Weight Modifier|
|Male||3'6"||+1d12"||75 lbs.||× 1 lb.|
|Female||3'4"||+3d4-2"||70 lbs.||× 1 lb.|