Aarakocra (3.5e Race)
From D&D Wiki
Aarakocra are majestic creatures that hold supreme command over the skies. These avian humanoids, also known as bird folk, evoke wonder and awe in those that are lucky enough to encounter them. Aarakocra hail from the Elemental Plane of Air, a groundless dimension with endless skies and strong winds, perfect for their seemingly endless flight. Their sheer existence represents the freedom and independence that all creatures hope to achieve.
Aarakocra are primarily humanoid in general anatomy. Standing upright, Aarakocra may reach 7 feet tall. They have impossibly lightweight bodies due to their hollow bones and slim muscles, making them almost weightless while flying. However, the skeletal structure of the aarakocra makes them far more prone to broken bones than other humanoid races. All aarakocra have a very large pair of wings jutting from their backs, which give them the gift of natural flight. Aarakocra, much like birds, are absolutely covered in feathers, including tail feathers, which are used for much-needed balance while flying and walking. The color of their plumage is usually subdued with brown, gray, or white being common colors found within this race. A tough-textured skin covers their arms and legs (from the knees down), the only featherless parts of their bodies. They also have long, narrow legs that taper to sharp talons. Finally, aarakocra also have long, sharp beaks, completing their avian appearance
Aarakocra are quick to trust races that share the air with them, mainly the other races found in the Elemental Plane of Air. They have immediate suspicions about flightless races and usually prevent them from entering their domain, regardless of their moral standing. Time must pass before an aarakocra can completely trust a member of a flightless race. They have a bitter resentment towards gargoyles and will stop at nothing to drive each and every one out of the Material Plane and back to where they came from.
Most of the aarakocra population is situated in the Elemental Plane of Air.
- +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, −2 Strength: Aarakocra are incredibly swift in the air and inherit strong senses from their avian anatomy. However, their weak bone and muscle structures make feats of strength difficult.
- Aarakocra: Aarakocra are humanoids with the Monstrous subtype.
- Medium: Aarakocra are medium creatures. As such, they do not gain bonuses or penalties due to their size.
- Normal Speed: Aarakocra have a normal base land speed of 20 feet. They also have a flying speed of 50 feet with good maneuverability.
- Bowtrained: Aarakocra fighters are trained at birth to use ranged weapons, resulting in them being proficient with bow-like ranged weapons (including longbows, shortbows, composite longbows, and composite shortbows).
- Keen Senses: Aarakocra receives a +2 racial bonus on all search and spot checks.
- Claustrophobia: Aarakocra are not used to living in enclosed spaces as many other races do. Because of this, aarakocra go into a panic when kept in an enclosed space for too long. Aarakocra receive a -1 penalty on all attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks while underground or in an enclosed space that is 100 square feet (10 ft. x 10 ft.) in area or smaller.
- Natural Weapon: Aarakocra can attack with their talons, dealing 1d4 points of damage
- Automatic Languages: Aarakocra begins play speaking Common and Auran. Those with high Intelligence scores can choose to learn languages from the following: Aquan, Ignan, Terran, Yuan-Ti, Elven, Sylvan, and Gith.
- Favored Class: Ranger, Cleric or Monk