Physicist (5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
- 1 Physicist
- 1.1 Creating a Physicist
- 1.2 Class Features
- 1.2.1 Table: The Physicist
- 1.2.2 Research Area Uniqueness
- 1.2.3 Phenomena Occurences
- 1.2.4 Overthinking
- 1.2.5 Thinking Boost
- 1.2.6 Overthinking Feature
- 1.2.7 Optimized Recovery
- 1.2.8 Predicative Measures
- 1.2.9 Extra Attack
- 1.2.10 Expertise
- 1.2.11 Phenomena
- 1.2.12 Intellectual Ascend
- 1.2.13 Ability Score Improvement
An accomplished scientist one day, doing a thought experiment, discover a great secret of the world. He has uncovered a way to manipulate the force that reign us all.
Physicists use intelligence to manipulate the greatest force in the universe : Gravity.
Creating a Physicist
- Quick Build
You can make a Physicist quickly by following these suggestions. First,Intelligence should be your highest ability score, followed by Wisdom, and then Constitution. Second, choose the Sage background.
As a Physicist you gain the following class features.
- Hit Points
Weapons: Everyweapon that can be thrown (Thrown)
Tools: Tinker's Tools
Saving Throws: Int, Wis
Skills: Insight, Investigation
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
|1st||+2||2||Overthinking, Research Area Uniqueness|
|2nd||+2||3||Overthinking Feature, Predicative Measures|
|3rd||+2||4||Expertise, Phenomena (Accentuate Space)|
|4th||+2||5||Ability Score Improvement|
|5th||+3||6||Phenomena (Accentuate Space Variation), Thinking Boost|
|7th||+3||8||Phenomena (Reknitting the fabric)|
|8th||+3||9||Ability Score Improvement, Optimized Recovery|
|9th||+4||10||Phenomena (Accentuate Space Variation 2)|
|11th||+4||12||Phenomena (Accentuate Space Variation 3), Phenomena (Persistent Distortion)|
|12th||+4||13||Ability Score Improvement|
|13th||+5||14||Phenomena (Reverse Gravity)|
|15th||+5||16||Phenomena (Black Hole)|
|16th||+5||17||Ability Score Improvement|
|17th||+6||18||Expertise, Reknitting The Fabric upgrade|
|18th||+6||19||Phenomena (Time Jump)|
|19th||+6||20||Ability Score Improvement, Phenomena (Reverse Time)|
Research Area Uniqueness
If your area of research is Gravity, you are able to bend space and shrink it so your punches have a 7 meters range, and deal force damage.
You have points that increase at every level. These are used to create some phenomena that you discovered during your research. Until you have Optimized Recovery, these points come back after a long rest.
Your mind is always agitate, you are always thinking about your suroundings, the universe, the best way to eat that meal on the other table. You don't have fear of being agressive with new theories but also respect the solid base of current physics theory. You can alternate between the folowing states whenever you'd like and as a bonus action in combat :
- Follow the books - Add Int modifier to your AC
- Calculated Risks - Add Int modifier to the damage of your unarmed strikes (1d4 when level 1). Add your proficiency bonus when rolling to hit
Level 5 you gain an upgrade to your overthinking state: You can choose to deal more damage with your punches when usng Calculated Risks state (1d6) or add 1 to your AC when using the Follow the books state. At level 9, 13, 16 you also gain this upgrade and you change your dice to 1d8, 1d10 and 1d12 per upgrade, or if you choose to upgrade the other state you get plus 1 AC per upgrade.
At Level 2, you can switch between your thinking states as a extra bonus action if you spend 1 Phenomena Occurence point.
At Level 7 you regain all your Phenomena Occurence points after a short rest.
Being as smart as you are, you can predict how some scenarios will play out and act according to your predictions. Your AC = 10 + your WIS modifier. At level 2, you gain the ability to use the Dodge action as a Bonus Action or Disengage.
Beginning at 6th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn
After getting a basic understanding of the force that molds the universe, you feel pretty confident in expanding your knowledge on the subject you already master to see if you can tap into more of that recently discover wonder. You can choose two abilities to double your proficiency bonus on it. If you are not proficient, you become proficient instead.
These are weird occurences that you've seem happen, but only recently began to understand. Now you think you can recreate them. You can use only one Phenomena per turn. Much like spells.
- Accentuate Space
- You choose one target (creature or object) on a 9 meter range and it gets pushed or pulled 5 meters, it has to make a strength save or take 1d8 damage and fall prone. You can use this as a bonus action (+1d8 every 3 levels). Cost : 1 Phenomena Occurence
- Accentuate Space Variation 1
- You can use this as reaction or bonus action to jump up to 1d6 + Wis meters or move 6 meters horizontaly. If used as a reaction, the creature that trigerred it must make a Int save to see if the attack still hits. Cost : 1 Phenomena Occurence
- Reknitting the fabric
- You can change the fabric of space creating a 5 feet slit ta a space pokcet. You can create up to 7 pockets spaces that are incredibly small and float with your person condensed and can't be percieved. It can hold 7 itens on spaces, each space has up to 2 cubic meters. As you progress the spaces can be expanded unlimitedly at level 17. Cost : 1 Phenomena Occurence
- Accentuate Space Variation 2
- As a ranged spell attack (acceleration) , you can accelerate a weapon that can be thrown (Thrown) and this will deal the weapon damage + Int modifier. As a reaction (reflect), you can reduce the damage taken from a projectile by 1d10 + WIS + your Physicist Level. You can resend this back to your oponnent following the same rules of accelerate. The range of throwing is 9 meters for every weapon. Cost : 1 Phenomena Occurence.
- Persistant Distortion
- You create a distortion in space that has the same effect and rules of the Bigsby Hands spell. Cost : 2 Phenomena Occurence
- Accentuate Space Variation 3
- You can now use your discoveries to control the space around you, being able to create the same effects as the Fly spell and Feather Fall. Cost : 2 Phenomena Occurence for flying and 1 for Feather Fall.
- Reverse Gravity
- You can cast Reverse Gravity. Cost : 2 Phenomena Occurence
- Black Hole
- You can create a singularity in an area within 9 meters, you create a super dense Black Hole the size of 30 cm that pull creatures into it from up to a range of 6 meters. Creatures within range of it make a Dex save, if succeed the creatures take half damage. If not they take 5d10 damage and are pulled to the center and 1d8 to every turn they finish in range of the singularity and have their movement halved. Cost : 3 Phenomena Occurences
- Time Jump
- You can go up to 1d6 rounds ahead in time. While there, you can prepare and extra action or get Adv on all checks that round and you a check action. The effect takes place when the turn you jumped to arrives. If you cast this out of combat you can see up to 1d6 x 10 minutes. Cost : 4 Phenomena Occurences
- Reverse Time
- You can go up to 1d6 rounds back in time. While there, you can do actions that only affect your condition. You can make a Dex save and take no damage if succeeded or half damage of an attack by closely dodging it, or redo a save that you failed with the same DC or you can move half of your movement taking no opportunities attacks. Cost : 4 Phenomena Occurences
When you reach Level 20, you gain +4 of Wisdom and Intelligence, even if you already have 20 on both stats.
Ability Score Improvement
When you reach 4th level, and again at 8th, 12th, 16th and 19th level, you can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or you can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, you can't increase an ability score above 20 using this feature.