The Gates of Xibulba (5e Quest)

From D&D Wiki

Jump to: navigation, search
Stub Logo.png This page is incomplete and/or lacking flavor. Reason: incomplete

You can help D&D Wiki by finishing and/or adding flavor to this page. When the flavor has been changed so that this template is no longer applicable please remove this template. If you do not understand the idea behind this page please leave comments on this page's talk page before making any edits.
Edit this Page | All stubs

Recycle.png This page was marked as abandoned on 06:54, 20 March 2023 (MDT)

If you think you can improve this page please bring the page up to the level of other pages of its type, then remove this template. If this page is completely unusable as is and can't be improved upon based on the information given so far then replace this template with a {{delete}} template. If this page is not brought to playability within one year it will be proposed for deletion.

Edit this Page | All abandoned pages

Adventure Background[edit]

In the neighboring Islands of Zolteca lies the great pyramid known as the "Gate of Xibulba" This is a strange Pyramid where players can black a game of "Pik ah Pok" on the walls, losing the game will send a wave of monsters towards the players but eventually if they win a certain number of games before the courtyard of the dead a gateway will lead to a courtyard below.


The Quest is a three tiered dungeon, the first level is a Pyramid near a very deadly lake... the second tier is the courtyard of the Twin Heroes and the ball game of the Dead... the final gate is the Gate of Xibalba which opens a massive portal to any dimension beyond. This portal is a great place to imprison portal artifacts and enemies.


This quest should be one of the final quests of after defeating Soumaro or before.


Stage 1: Pyramid of Xibalba Stage 2: Courtyard of the Psychopomps Stage 3: Dining Hall of the Underworld Stage 4: The Gate to Xibalba

Step or Location[edit]

<- This is one scene in an adventure. In dungeon crawls, each room is a scene. -> Pyramid of Xibalba.jpg

my own art
watch out!
my own art


At the Courtyard of the Psychopomps each pillar when hit with a ball can activate a trap... poison gas, arrows, burning tar, collapsing stones.

Poison Gas Pillar: Dc. 20 Constitution Save or 6d10 poison damage with poisoned effect a turn for 4 turns in 25 foot radius area around it. (Once an encounter).

Fire Siphon Pillar: Dc. 20 Dexterity save or 18d10 fire damage in 25 foot radius area around it. (Once an encounter).

Arrow Swarm Pillar: Attack +8 to attack, 9d10 piercing damage in 25 foot radius for two turns. (Once an encounter).

Crushing Cube Pillar: Attack +12 to attack one target deals 24d10 bludgeoning damage to one target. (Once an encounter).

At the Dining Hall of the Underworld there is a great table filled with a feast of meats, wines, vegetables and fruits especially of the tropics... hence guava, mangos, nopali, roasted gallimimus, waterbuffalo meat, palm wine...etc. When players feast they can make a short rest and roll their hit dice with constitution modifier to heal and even magic casters can rejuvenate 2d4+2 spell slots from lvl 1 and lvl 2.

Tragically the "Dining hall of the Underworld" can also be a deadly place where innocuous food and seats can be deadly traps.

Poison food trap: Medicine check Dc. 23, Dc. 20 Constitution save 10d10 poison to one target who is also afflicted with poisoned effect for 1 minute

Burning Chair trap: Perception check Dc. 23, Dc. 20 Dexterity save or 10d10 fire damage to one target from sitting on a burning hot stone seat.

Falling Stone Pillar: Perception check Dc. 23, + 10 vs AC or 10d10 Bludgeoning damage to one target from sitting on stone seat with a trigger plate.


The Pyramid will have Underworld Jaguar Warriors at Stage 1 and 2.

At Stage 1 some Undead Jaguar Warriors can be riding on Fulgor Raptors as Lancers and As the fighting prolongs some Undead Jaguar Warriors (Undead Gladiators from MM) will begin to pound on a Gong... This will summon Zipacna, a Gargantuan Spinosaurus Dominator from the nearby lake.

At Stage 2 the characters will have to play Pik-ah-pok against the Underworld Jaguarwarriors, whenever they lose a game (3 turns) 10 Underworld Jaguarwarriors appear to fight them, some might even be riding fulgor raptors (66%) (1d2) or they could have one riding a Carnotaurus Vulcanis or a Warmount Shunosaurus 1 33%. There are traps that can be activated by the balls such as fire spouts, spike pits, falling pillars, poison gas, Radial saw.

Pik a Pok This is not an easy game to play, the ball must be struck (attack roll) or bounced of the body (Athletics/Acrobatics) and the players can make a interrupting interception by sliding, leaping or whatnot to bounce the ball in another direction away from their court or the ball hoop. Only rolling at 20 to 25 and beyond has a chance of getting the ball through the hoop, 10% at 20 and +5% for a roll per point higher, so a roll of 21 would have a 15% of scoring a direct ball through hoop... while a roll of 25 would get a chance of 35% to score a hoop and so on... with a roll of 30 that chance to land the ball is almost 60% If the ball hits the floor of the enemies courtyard they can try to make a save via Athletics or Acrobatics (or a dexterity/strength save) check. If they fail the ball hits the ground and your team gets 1 point, if they make the save or skill check the ball bounces according to the table and the roll, this table can also be applied when the players make a serve in the first round... if the players or enemy can get the ball through the stone hoop... then that is 3 points. First team to recieve 7 points wins.

Attack Roll Athletics Roll Acrobatics Roll
Dc. 5 or lower, Drop the ball on the floor Dc. 5 or lower, Drop the ball on the floor Dc. 5 or lower, Drop the ball on the floor
Dc. 10 send the ball to the left or right (Equal to base movement) Dc. Dc. 10 send the ball to the left or right (Equal to base movement) Dc. 10 send the ball to the left or right (Equal to base movement)
Dc. 15 send the ball any desired direction equal to base movement Dc. 15 send the ball any desired direction equal to base movement Dc. 15 send the ball any desired direction equal to base movement
Dc. 20 double same but the movement Dc. 20 same but double the movement with bonus action to knock opponent down (strength save) Dc. 20 Same but double the movement and player receives a bonus action to move.
Dc. 25 Quadruple movement with high chance to score (50%/25%) Dc. 25 Quadruple movement with high chance to score (50%/25%) or knock opponent down Dc. 25 Quadruple movement with high chance to score (50%/25%) and free move action with bonus action to move.

Stage 3; The Dining hall of the Underworld is a place where the characters can rest but they must be wary of the deadly traps placed in the courtyard.

Stage 4; a central portal opens in the rooms if the players win a certain number of games. It can either take them to wherever they wish or it can imprison an enemy or artifact far away.


Underworld Jaguar Warriors, Fulgor Raptors, Megaraptor Serpentis, Chupicabra, Spawn of Comazotz, Carnotaurus Volcanis, War-howdah Shunosaurus, Spinosaurus Dominator, Coloborhynchus Kataigida.


The Dungeon is rather simplistic except for that fact that the players can activate the portal twice a day if they need to but this requires playing the ball game once again.


+2 enchanted arms and armor can be found in here, plenty of gold, the Spheres of the Twins (two rubber balls that can return).

1 million gold pieces. 2d4+2 5000gp gemstones. 2d10+3 2,500gp gemstones. 3d10+5 750 gp gemstones. (pg. 134-135 DMG). 3d10+6 magic items.


Players can imprison a powerful foe or artifact and or a foe trapped inside an artifact here deep in some other dimension.


Same as Treasure and plenty of xp


Combat Awards
Name of Foe XP per foe
Sobeki 450XP
Fulgor Raptor 3,000XP
Carnotaurus Volcanis 5,900XP
Spinosaurus Dominator 13,000XP
Chupicabra 2,300 XP
Spawn of Camazotz 5,900XP
Non-Combat Awards
Task or Accomplishment XP per Character
reaching the top of the pyramid 10,000XP
winning three ball games 10,000XP
Winning three ball games in a row 30,000XP
Opening the portal and Imprisonment 10,000XP
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->

The minimum total award for each character participating in this adventure is X experience points.

The maximum total award for each character participating in this adventure is X experience points.


The characters receive the following treasure, divided up amongst the party. Characters should attempt to divide treasure evenly whenever possible. Gold piece values listed for sellable gear are calculated at their selling price, not their purchase price.

Consumable magic items should be divided up however the group sees fit. If more than one character is interested in a specific consumable magic item, the DM can determine who gets it randomly should the group be unable to decide.

Permanent magic items are divided up according to a system. See the sidebar if the adventure awards permanent magic items.

Treasure Awards
Item Name Sale Value
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->
<-Name-> <-XP->

Unique Magic Item[edit]

The Censor of the Sultan is particulary important in this dungeon.


If Khetus or Soumaro are still alive they will try to track players down and kill them. If Khetus has evolved then he will despise the players for eternity.


Completing this task for Sunjiata will have the players permanently allied to his faction.


Each character receives 60 downtime days at the conclusion of this adventure.

Back to Main Page5e HomebrewQuests

Home of user-generated,
homebrew pages!