Talk:Halberdier (3.5e Class)
From D&D Wiki
Power - 1/5 I give this class a 1 out of 5. The saves are ludicrous, for starters. Justice Spear implies no save, and paralysis without offering a save is broken at any level. The damage reduction and ability score boosts are well beyond anything a normal class gets. If the keen ability here stacks with the enchantment and/or Improved Critical, that is too much as well (see wording). Overall, there's very few balanced things in this class. The abilities are either token (like bonus feats, at least for the most part), or world-beater (Justice Spear). Also, no armor proficienies? Stab me in the face why don't you? --Jota 21:21, 9 July 2009 (MDT)
- I won't even bring the saves in.. But the lack of saves I do fear and worry. The stacking abilities and modivators seem out of wack as well. Things need to be toned down and made more to be a ground holder. Maybe a small benefit per every enemy they face off against in their threatened squares. The bonus feats need to be cleaned up as well as the overpowered skills and yes Where is the armor proficiency? -- TARK
Wording - 1.5/5 I give this class a 1.5 out of 5. If I was just looking at the fluff, this might by a 3 or so. That said, the lack of punctuation (commas, please!), the random capitalization, the lack of subject/verb agreement, and the occasional spelling error pervade this area. A lot of what is written just doesn't make sense or it hurts my brain to try and decipher the author's intent. Now, on to the abilities:
- Bulwark of Defense isn't so bad. I get what it is supposed to be saying, it just needs an makeover.
- Citizens First: So used to notice danger? What defines defenseless? What counterattack? This seems like aid another, yet it is obviously something different, and as such it needs to be explained in greater depth.
- Dark Vision. As is darkvision? Or something like devils get that even works in magical darkness?
- Keen: does it stack with the weapon enhancement or Improved Critical?
- Inspire: why the Will save, unless you are beserking people? Is that what 'forced into battle' is supposed to mean?
- Wrath: 'once their HP hits half or lower than their max.' So I can wait until half my health, or take one damage and do it? I know what you mean, but clarify.
- Justice Spear: how long for paralysis? How many creatures does it effect? Is there really supposed to be no saving throw?
Also, what is DR + 10? Spell it out. Same with the bonus feats; are they fighter bonus feats, or just plain old extra feats? --Jota 21:21, 9 July 2009 (MDT)
- The wording really does need to mopped up a bit, I agree with Jota on the citizens first, Keen, and Iinspire. Very vague and leaves too much to the imagination. (I do intend on editing and repairing this Class but I also admit I am not perfect with grammer or spelling but I will put more effort then this into it.. so ever wishes to help with what I miss please do) -- TARK
Formatting - 2.5/5 I give this class a 2.5 out of 5 because it follows the preload pretty well, but interwiki linking is non-existent. The class table should link to the abilities. Also, the info box was not there (I just added it), it doesn't have a description, and it isn't linked anywhere by categories beyond the obvious (base class, etc. - should have combat-focused, etc). --Jota 21:21, 9 July 2009 (MDT)
Flavor - 1.5/5 I give this class a 1.5 out of 5 because I get it, it's a halberdier. At the same time, parts of the preload have been cut out, and what flavor text there is exists at the bare minimum and seems forced. --Jota 21:21, 9 July 2009 (MDT)
Power - 2/5 I give this class a 2 out of 5 because even though I haven't tested the class it seems unbalanced, maybe with some ability tweaks, less skills, standard saves, just general nerfs here and there, it would be more playable. --18.104.22.168 21:39, 28 March 2010 (UTC)
- Compared to what it was when it was rated previously, I feel that this class has actually been nerfed already. As is, it can't really do anything combat-wise except hit with a meager spear attack that any fighter worth his salt could top pretty easily. If anything, it seems weak to me. I mean, the level 20 ability gives +4d6 damage tops and improved grab. Whoop-de-doo. The bleeding damage is the only thing particularly noteworthy, but it comes at level 19 which I doubt any member of this class would ever reach as they would have died multiple times over in even a moderately challenging campaign. I know power isn't everything, but being the hapless whipping boy of a party isn't much fun either. - TG Cid 00:49, 27 July 2010 (UTC)
Wording - 2.5/5 I give this class a 2.5 out of 5 because of just randomness, granted it's hard enough to think of what to make things do, but if we can't read what you're trying to tell us, we don't know what's going on. --22.214.171.124 21:39, 28 March 2010 (UTC)
Flavor - 3/5 I give this class a 3 out of 5 because I may very well be biased to any classes that are designed to defend their allies, but it's been done... quite a little; give it some 'Bam!' or something to set it apart more so that it's not just another defender class.(Just to note, by Bam! I don't mean make it more powerful ^^) --126.96.36.199 21:39, 28 March 2010 (UTC)
Power - 4/5 I give this class a 4 out of 5 because Compared to the fighter, this class is amazing, I play it currently and it is far better than any other melee based class I have seen. Although when it comes to his range of weapons it would be nice if it extended, I had to go through a lot just to keep getting halberds, increase it to any spearlike weapon(including exotic because in the late game a lot of the weapons we used were exotic) and add in a few more powers to fill him in in certain spots, also I would like the epic(as in make one) to be a bit more powerful as well, melee classes have a hell time keeping up with mages and rangers in the lategame. --Doctorspangle (talk) 22:01, 29 March 2013 (MDT)
Wording - 4/5 I give this class a 4 out of 5 because Decent wording was given, I did like most of it, a little extending would be nice to explain how things worked. --Doctorspangle (talk) 22:01, 29 March 2013 (MDT)
Flavor - 3/5 I give this class a 3 out of 5 because You just need to add in more explaining their place and what they do, most of his powers fit I but I don't see why they hold themselves above the others. --Doctorspangle (talk) 22:01, 29 March 2013 (MDT)